WABC goes 16:9 with reports.

IceManNYR

Looks like they are doing a test run of using 16:9 video for live and taped reports.

The aspect ratio on the HD and SD feed were off a bit but on the taped report from Newark but it was 16:9 and looked cleaner then WNBC 16:9 SD live and taped reports.

pdvd151rz8.th.jpg

They also had a live stand up with Stacy, the story video was 4:3, again the live video was much cleaner then WNBC. No major edge enhancement or shadow lines around objects.

snapshot200708110001gd8.th.jpg

I've also noticed the pillar bars are no longer animated.

Some might have mentioned this already but the studio video looks much sharper.

pdvd153mx9.th.jpgpdvd152cd3.th.jpg

Just wanted to say thanks to all the tech people at work to improve the newscast.

When did I say they owed me anything?

Not that my comments mean anything anyway but at lest they are moving forward to more 16:9 content.

I wonder how long till WCBS will be doing remote live and taped segments in 16:9?

I do understand it's not a fan site.

I'll keep the comments technical only next time :p

I did see the pillar bars animated once but for other segments they were static images. I also noticed during the golf highlights we got double pillarbars.

WABC is already in 1080i, it startd when they got the new set after the fire.

WFAA in Dallas is the only ABC affiliate that broadcasts a 1080i HD signal on its digital channel; every other ABC station (including O&O) broadcasts in 720p. Take a look at your HDTV's display when you're watching WABC-DT, and you'll see it's always going to be in 720p. (If it changes to 1080i during newscasts, I'd really like to see that.) NBC and CBS stations do 1080i while Fox and ABC affiliates broadcast in 720p.

You might be seeing some distortion on these new 16:9 liveshots because the current analog microwave system used to transmit video back to the station are only capable of a 4:3 image. So, stations squish a 16:9 image into the 4:3 frame, and then that's what gets sent back to the station. This compressed image is then stretched out to 16:9 for the digital feed, and the sides are lopped off for the analog feed. I know KGO's liveshots have looked pretty crappy ever since going to 16:9 in the field, while KTVU's have remained OK.

I think what NYNewsGuy(?) said was even though WABC is 720p the studio cams and the news broadcast would be at a native resolution 1080i.

Regarding the live 16:9 reports, I know WABC has at least one sattelite truck.

This AM Jeff Rossen's 16:9 report from last night was played back in 16:9.

The Circle 7 Pillarbars animated during some reports but are static for others.

First off, I know WABC News is in 1080i, as I could easily tell the improvement in PQ from the old set to the "new" set.

Hate to break the news but WABC is broadcasting 720p, just like the network and other O&Os. A simple google search will provide you supporting info

Well the SD 16:9 Widescreen is still nice, it definitely keeps it all consistent, but its still not in HD. I believe KABC's live cameras, report cameras and field cameras are in all in high definition. So they still have a long way to go.

And as calwixdude as said, WABC is indeed in 720p, not 1080i. My cable box has an indicator which displays what HD resolution a channel is being broadcasted on. If I watch Channel 2 or 4 it says 1080i. When I watch Channel 7 it says 720p. So it indicates whether or not the channel broadcasts in 1080i or 720p etc. And the television also gives the viewer information on what type of resolution is being displayed on screen. The cameras in the set might be 1080i, but the quality of the image they broadcast is still 720p regardless. So it may not be as clear as WNBC and WCBS, but hey its still HD. If you compare a WABC high definition shot with WNBC, you will clearly see the difference.

Some Annoyances:

If you look on the right side or left side of the anchors where the pillars are you can see a lot of fuzz there, not sure why that happens but its there.

The ABC 7 logo still has that rather annoying fuzz in it, I wonder why they can't fix something as simple as that, its been like that for a while now.

The WABC graphics just have to go. They have expired. At this point they are not good at all and are really ugly looking with the HD graphics. So I really hope the changes that are speculated do occur soon.

-Vlad

Tonights 6pm broadcast is SD on the HD feed.

It's interesting to see the drop in quality from 720p to the upconvert from the 480i feed.

WABC's up convert for SD programming is ok but has never been that clean.

snapshot200708120016lc0.th.jpg

If you watch on the HD feed even in SD you can see a little of the blue pillar bars.

One other thing I noticed,when the animated baseball was shown on screen going to the highlights it has the same black vertical dots that the bug logo has on it.

Archived