Phil Rizzuto lead story at 5, except for WCBS

IceManNYR

While WNBC, WABC, and WNYW lead with the passing of Phil Rizzuto, the WCBS lead is a toy recall.

I've noticed other times to that while all the other NYC channels have the same lead story WCBS usually leads with something else.

Phil Rizzuto is not mentioned till the 3rd story.

Is this some new hard news direction they have taken? Where crime, recalls, and accidents take the lead?

Just another reason why CBS2 gets such low ratings - they don't know what story is most close to the hearts of New Yorkers....

Rizzuto was a NY institution, first as a Yankee, then a broadcaster (and let's not forget his commercials for "The Money Store").

Toy recalls (and others) usually go in a later news block, not the lead....

While WNBC, WABC, and WNYW lead with the passing of Phil Rizzuto, the WCBS lead is a toy recall.

I've noticed other times to that while all the other NYC channels have the same lead story WCBS usually leads with something else.

Phil Rizzuto is not mentioned till the 3rd story.

Is this some new hard news direction they have taken? Where crime, recalls, and accidents take the lead?

That is CBS2 for you. It just reminds me couple of years ago 4, and 7 lead story at 11 was about the breakthrough of stem cell research, CBS2 lead story was Bert Reynolds slapping a producer.

It's not necessarily that they are trying to be different, but more that it just ends up that way based on what they feel the most important news of the day. I mean it's not like they each have each other's run down to go over.

Toy recall should have been a 5 pm lead for everyone. Much smarter lead for a 5pm newscast for the available audience. People watching the crap on before news are more likely to be moms than fans of sports relics.

Totally agre with TVJR. Flip the 5 and 6 PM lead there on that one.

Ya know it's funny, WCBS has plenty of talent, but not always the best news judgement. I guess you blame the ND for this one, because they screwed up royally!

You know what's even funnier.

Press page of wcbstv.com says Lauren something or other is being hired as executive producer of CBS 2 news at 11.

She's from Fox & Friends and the WB 11 Morning News.

Let's see... what should be hard news compared to morning television. I think that she might not be the best choice.

Archived