New ABC website

newsie

I'll try and make it make more sense.

They're trying to market their TV network as only the "starting point" to their entertainment. Their shows and news are also available online and on iTunes, so they're milking the wide availability for what it's worth.

I don't get their new slogan though, "Start Here" ???

It means that wherever you are, ABC is there, online, on phone, on TV, etc, ABC is the place to start. It sorta makes sense, but not totally. I think they're trying to brand ABC as an entertainment platform than a network.

It could also be seen as saying "before you tune to any other channels, start here, you might find something you like."

No.

The theme of the presentation was "ABC: Start Here." Ann and Mike both stressed that compelling, engaging programming is what will bring audiences in and will encourage audiences to turn to alternative platforms instead of or in addition to watching on TV. "Start Here" will be a network-wide navigation device ABC will offer that will assist viewers in finding their favorite shows where they reside on any platform they choose. Of course, viewers will only seek out a show they are engaged with, passionate about, and can't stand to miss.

http://blogs.mediavillage.com/married/archives/2007/05/abc_upfront_sta.html

If ABC is trying to brand themselves as an entertainment platform, they should put some actual "entertainment" on the air this fall. So far, from the promos that I've seen, most of ABC's new shows will be gone by the end of the season. I haven't seen anything other than "Cavemen" that really stands out, or looks "somewhat watchable".

Yeah, that's what I remember hearing "start here" being all about. The fact that this new look is, on the whole, reallllllllly nice (slicker than any network gfx I've seen in quite awhile) also helps. It's better than the lame peacock.com thing NBC's been doing.

Yeah, that's what I remember hearing "start here" being all about. The fact that this new look is, on the whole, reallllllllly nice (slicker than any network gfx I've seen in quite awhile) also helps. It's better than the lame peacock.com thing NBC's been doing.

I typed in peacock.com, and was greeted with this logo:

peacocknetworks2007.jpg

Perhaps NBC's legal department would like to take a look at that.

If ABC is trying to brand themselves as an entertainment platform, they should put some actual "entertainment" on the air this fall. So far, from the promos that I've seen, most of ABC's new shows will be gone by the end of the season. I haven't seen anything other than "Cavemen" that really stands out, or looks "somewhat watchable".

Most of ABC's comedy lineup sounds a lot better than "The Big Bang Theory." That crap should have been cancelled halfway through the first showing of its promo.

Spot on, sir. In fact, I'd go as far as saying that the whole "Start Here" marketing premise is the best we've seen from a traditional net in a long, long time.

I strongly disagree. Pushing Daisies looks like one of the first smart, witty, and whimsical shows in years. Sure, there are some stupid shows like Desperate Housewives and Dirty Sexy Money, but still, you can't right off all shows, seeing as the vast majority of people haven't seen the pilots.

I disagree with you right there. Desperate Housewives is a witty, clever, and even downright sexy show. It's quite good once you get into it.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived