WABC shortens 9/11 Coverage

nymets78

So, this Christmas is every single station going to be required to broadcast the Yule Log because people don't feel that it being on 11 is enough?

Comparing 9/11 to the Yule Log is, plain and simple, just stupid.

No, the concept that the ceremony needs to be on EACH AND EVERY STATION is plain and simple, just stupid...if the families are going to be at the ceremony why should they be concerned about television access? Do you know what I do when there is breaking news I want to see and only a few of the local stations are cutting into regular programming? It's this amazing thing: I turn the channel over to the station that is carrying it!!!

I am sick of the 9/11 families thinking they own the copyright on tragedy, loss and suffering...Did the world stop for the second anniversary of Katrina a couple of weeks ago? 9/11 was a cakewalk compared to Katrina. It has been 6 years-MOVE ON.

Comparing 9/11 to the Yule Log is, plain and simple, just stupid.

And, the previous poster is absolutely correct. If viewers who usually turn to WABC for news were disappointed about the station's decision not to carry the 9/11 ceremony on its main channel, then those viewers may lose trust in WABC and may not turn to Ch. 7 in the future. In the end, WABC made the right business and community relations decision.

Not really. Digital Channels are perfectly fine, as most people have either some form of digital cable, and the people who don't either don't watch much tv, or watch whatever, which means that wouldn't care what channel it's on. Most people don't care what news they are watching, they just watch it out of habit. Come January, the government will be giving out digital converter boxes either for free, or with a big discount, so come next September, it will be a non-issue, and I'd expect all the stations to have it on digital sub-channels by September 2009.

Don't get me wrong...I'm not saying the digital channels are not suitable...I think it's great to have venues for alternative programming. What I'm saying is that if so many viewers complained about it not being on the channel they're used to watching, then WABC served its audience well by putting the ceremony back on the main channel.

I hope that stations make more use of their digital channels in the future...and I hope that viewers become more aware of and receptive to the idea of digital sub-channels.

Archived