Competition for News @ 5

civic110

WCBS has their ads indicating "news as it happens". Kristine Johnson even said during a cut-in on Judge Judy to get your news as it happens, live at five. I can't believe they even stole the name.

WNYW explains, "It's 5pm, do you know where your newscast is?" They also have three promotional ads, one of which portrays a murder investigation and explains that the 5:00 news has been murdered, but not on FOX5! You can watch them on their website: http://www.myfoxny.com/myfox/pages/Home/Detail?contentId=4313818&version=7&locale=EN-US&layoutCode=TSTY&pageId=1.1.1

WABC doesn't necessarily attack WNBC for not having a 5pm newscast but they do highlight their 5pm broadcast with breaking news, Lee's weather, etc.

Maybe. But NBC folded their tent. That must more pathetic. ::D

To be correct though WNBC was following orders, it's not like it was their idea. This is likely to be one of the few markets where other stations put out promos blasting them for stopping a 5pm newscast. I believe in Miami the ABC affiliate already stopped the 5pm. I actually enjoyed the WNYW promos, typical gloves off promo, again it's a business. I agree with wabceyewitness though, once NYW decides to do more real news and more "breaking news" the ratings will start to come in. I found it funny that the 4th place 5pm newscast was the first to really sling the mud, but it is a FOX station, and must uphold a reputation.

I totally agree! Fox 5 is a total joke when it comes to news. That fat boy over their Scott Matthews (ND) has no clue how to do news, and his boss, Lou Leone (GM) has the personality of a pea! Together they're Mutt and Jeff and continue to bury Fox 5 and put their newscasts in the toilet. Fox 5 news, a total joke.

NBC is now starting their downward spiral, which is sad because they used to be a powerhouse news station.

As it is, ABC 7 is still number 1 with now CBS following in 2nd place. CBS could actually challenge ABC now that NBC is falling, but they would have to spend a ton of money for overtime and starting doing a better job of covering local news.

CBS is already spending a ton of money on Kitty Couric that is proving to be a big mistake. Maybe the money is not filtering down with that bis siphon to top.

The commercials are funny. It's nice to see a vulture picking of their own for a change.

Either way, FOX is making money.

How about WCBS stealing the "live at five" moniker? Everyday when they do their promos during Judge Judy at 4...one of them always says the new phrase (I wonder who instituted that):

Join us as news happens...live at five.

How about WCBS stealing the "live at five" moniker? Everyday when they do their promos during Judge Judy at 4...one of them always says the new phrase (I wonder who instituted that):

Yea, i see your point. I just saw one of their previews for the news at 5. They just took it, how unoriginal, might i add. But then again, it's not like WNBC owns the phrase Live at 5.

WCBS is a scum bag stealing the name Live at Five. Every time I hear Kristine Johnson doing thae tease I feel like going though the TV and smack her.

lol, i kinda feel that way too

Yea, i see your point. I just saw one of their previews for the news at 5. They just took it, how unoriginal, might i add. But then again, it's not like WNBC owns the phrase Live at 5.

WCBS is a scum bag stealing the name Live at Five. Every time I hear Kristine Johnson doing thae tease I feel like going though the TV and smack her.

lol, i kinda feel that way too

I bet she says, as the new, i mean news, happens Die at 5, sorry, Live at 5

Yea, there really does seem to be lacking at 5pm. More news breaks around 5pm or late afternoon than does 7pm. I just cannot bring myself to watch entertainment news programs when the other networks have breaking news of something here or something there. It might not be the most important or earth shattering of breaking news, but in New York there's always something. At 5pm, WNBC is really missing out on that.

I see that WNBC doesn't have ownership of "live at five", but be original. Live@5 is WNBC's thing and it always has been, despite the fact they've abandoned it.

WCBS will do better than WNYW. WNYW has had it 5pm newscast for years and it has yet to see any increase in ratings, WCBS on the other hand has Judge Judy to help. (I must add though that Merv Griffin's Crosswords is a pretty addictive show). I think WCBS' ratings will bump up to a range of 3.3-5/7 and WNYW 1.6-8/4.

I also think WCBS's 6pm ratings will increase. Chuck and Sue was there to keep up the ratings. But now, I feel Rosenfield/Tyler makes a stronger team than Baquero/Ushery (I think this team needs time to grow.)

Or, WABC takes all the viewers and continues to be the leader.

WABC will be number one at 5! Who knows what more changes we could excpect on Channel 6. WABC will probably beat WNBC at 6 because of the anchor set up and they don't really have a good lead in.

WABC have been number 1 for quite sometime now on all of their newscasts. WCBS might end up beating WNBC at 6pm. Yes you are right WNBC lead in is stink these days which is contributing to their ratings decline. The only weekday show that WNBC is capitalizing on is the Today Show that is why they extend it to an extra hour.

Archived