BOLARIS WATCH!11!!! The Fox 29 Boycott starts now.

Sam Horn

I'd agree with the whole "wait your turn" bit if Guarino was inexperienced. Plus, Schwartz was already on record as saying he'd take a demotion for Bolaris.

He said that because he and John are best of friends.

I'm [sure] something could be worked out contractually that would make a such a demotion for Schwartz just as palatable for him in the event Guarino comes aboard.

It would make sense: Guarino actually has a following, Schwartz doesn't. Guarino would better serve 10 then at 6 and 11 -- not on weekends.

Maybe Schwartz would work 4, 5, and 10 and Guarino 6 and 11? I don't know.

Perhaps we could see a Schwartz-Guarino tag team with a subsequent phase-in of Guarino taking over.

Damn, I'm a grammatical disaster today.

Yeah, I know GS and JB are buddies. But like I said: I'm sure NBC could accomodate Schwartz so that he and Guarino would be best buddies, too.

I agree about the tag-team-to-phase-in idea. That'd make the most sense.

Something overlooked though: 10 has 4 meteos -- is Thomas still freelance, or is she officially on staff now? -- meaning all shifts seem to be filled comfortably. So, that said, couldn't they just cut Schwartz loose and bring Guarino on? I mean, there's nothing really keeping them from doing that. Plus that would fit into the NBC 2.0 mold -- i.e., why have two top-bill meteos when it's cheaper to have one?

The tag team would be nice as a phase in. I took the idea of the "wait your turn" from KOTV in Tulsa. Icon, the late, Jim Giles, know for his innovation of Pathfinder was at KOTV for 25 something years. Travis Meyer at rival KTUL for about 20+. He took the tag team and back seat back in 2005 until Giles retired. But the set-up was the same, then turned Dave Roberts/Cecily Tynan like. But I think Rob will enjoy it at channel 10 and things will work out great.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Checking the weather blog at myfoxphilly.com...

The fact that his latest entry has a huge "COMING SOON... ROBGUARINO.COM" message at the site, and that the aforementioned website was created on the 11th of this month, does not bode well for his future at Fox 29...

Not saying calling KLH a bitch is earthshattering, but it is juvenile and petty. You just threw it out there, it was not in any context, good natured or otherwise. But you are right, if KLH was all upset by reading that she would have to be mentally ill. I guess it's the implication that you're an insider, so you would know something about her being a bitch.

Sure, let's duel. Ten paces at noon in Rittenhouse Sq. ;D

I read on Rob's MYFOX blog that he is starting his own RobGuarino.com means he will be gone very soon. I think that this is very sad.

Yes, it is sad. Sad and a sad testament to what has become the tawdry and banal business of TV "news." Sad, that an absolutely mediocre weathercaster can, with the help of his bombastic agent, just "storm" into a market and derail the career of a nice guy who's come along quite nicely and made a place for himself (Rob Guarino, of course).

I hope Rob goes across the street somewhere, generates buzz and viewers and beats the crap out of Fox 29's sorry excuse of a newscast.

Sad. Pathetic.

I read on Rob's MYFOX blog that he is starting his own RobGuarino.com means he will be gone very soon. I think that this is very sad.

Yes, it is sad. Sad and a sad testament to what has become the tawdry and banal business of TV "news." Sad, that an absolutely mediocre weathercaster can, with the help of his bombastic agent, just "storm" into a market and derail the career of a nice guy who's come along quite nicely and made a place for himself (Rob Guarino, of course).

I hope Rob goes across the street somewhere, generates buzz and viewers and beats the crap out of Fox 29's sorry excuse of a newscast.

Sad. Pathetic.

I actually do agree with you there. The smart money says Guarino goes to 10 so we'll see.

Nachman's reporting that 29 won't be renewing Guarino's contract at the end of the year.

Legitimate question: when was the last time a station in Philly made such an egregious mistake?

10 letting Mendte go in favor of Tim Lake.

Agreed.

Actually, I'd go earlier...

10 screwing around with Tim Lake so obviously that he filed a lawsuit, then settling with him and putting them in a bad situation where they HAD to make him lead - despite him not being nearly the right man for the job.

• 2 weeks later...

It's official...

Guarino Speaks

by Laura Nachman

lauranachman.net

November 2, 2007

Here is the statement that Fox29 chief meteorologist Rob Guarino posted on his web site, http://www.robguarino.com.

After 11 wonderful years at Fox29, it's time to move on with my career, whether that's in Philadelphia or beyond. I think I sometimes forget this is just a business and these things happen. I will miss the friendship of many co-workers and the chemistry I had with them over the years.

MY CO-WORKERS...

Dave (Huddleston), Dawn (Stensland), and I went out to dinner the other night and we all knew that this is going to be a time of change in the near future. We laughed about our kids, told stories, and just looked back a little. We all know this is a business but I honestly feel this is about as close to family as it gets in this business. You can't buy chemistry in television and you can't train it. You either have it or you don't We were also told many more changes at FOX are on the way.

MY TIME AT FOX

It has been an incredible run at FOX29. From "Fox is Cooking" on "Good Day" back in the beginning to playing the tuba on air, I always had fun. Ahh all those winter storms when we all buckled down and ordered pizzas, and worked our tails off, that was priceless. We worked a million hours, but it was fun and very rewarding each and every time I went on the air.

I gave it my all, from countless hours on the web and blogs, to spending many extra days covering storms, visiting schools, and attending charity events. I truly believe this is my calling and I have a sixth sense for weather. My mother told me this when I was 8-years-old. I'll be around for a few more months, so I look at this as a 2-month celebration of my time at FOX29. My last day will be January 7th, unless I move onto another station sooner.

MY FUTURE...

I wish John the best of luck. A good friend of mine said he looks at the two of us this way. John is a "Look at me" kind of guy and I'm more of a "Look at my forecast." I think the viewers know my passion for weather and my quest to put out the very best and most accurate forecast every night.

I may stay in town at another station or move onto NYC or L.A. It's just too early to speculate on where I ultimately decide to go or do. I will enjoy more time with my kids that is something I truly treasure. As most of you know, when you work at night, you just never seem to get enough time with your kids and before you know it, they are all grown up.

ROBGUARINO.COM

This web site will be so much fun. Blogs, video blogs, chat rooms, blog wars, satellite live weather graphics, weather models, trivia, and more. I look to expand this nationally and invite all to stop in whenever you get a chance. This has been a dream of mine and now we'll make it real. Get ready for the best web sites for weather in the entire country!

Bolaris is Back

by Laura Nachman

lauranachman.net

November 1, 2007

It's official. Bolaris is back. Fox29 announced that former Channel 10 chief meteorologist John Bolaris will join the station in January. Bolaris will serve as chief meteorologist on the Fox29 5 p.m. and 10 p.m. news.

In a phone conversation, Bolaris said, "In this business, you never leave any door closed. Philly was my home for 12 years."

Bolaris departed NBC10 in November of 2002 for WCBS-2 in New York City. When it was learned this summer that his contract in NYC was not going to be renewed, speculation immediately began that he would return to Philadelphia. Bolaris will work at WCBS until his his contract is up in December.

When he returns to Philadelphia, Bolaris will be renting a place in Center City and commute to New York City to visit his daughter, Reina Sofia, 3. Reina's mother, former NBC10 anchor Tiffany McElroy, continues to work for CW 11 in New York City.

As we reported the other week, industry sources say that current Fox29 chief meteorologist Rob Guarino's contract which is up at the end of the year will not be renewed.

Guarino did not immediately return a call, but on his web site, http://www.robguarino.com, he wrote, "This is just the start! Rob Guarino.com will be THE online weather community for Philadelphia and the Mid-Atlantic region!"

Bolaris will be competing against his former Channel 10 co-workers, Kathy Orr, who is now the chief meteorologist at CBS3 and Glenn "Hurricane" Schwartz, who was promoted into Bolaris' old position as chief meteorologist at NBC10.

I personally found Guarino's forecasts to be the most accurate. No one can predict the weather with 100% accuracy, but I honestly always turned to him the night before inclement weather was being forecasted. He has a low-key delivery, but that was ok. Hopefully he'll stay in the market. I don't know what's available in NYC, but they'd be lucky to get him.

• 1 month later...

I saw that one the other day and nearly fell out of my chair. He had this knowing smirk when he said that line, too.

I've said it before, I'll say it again. Fox 29 may not have the slickest-looking promos, but they make up for that with sheer creativity. I didn't expect them to be going where they're going with these Bolaris promos.

I saw that one the other day and nearly fell out of my chair. He had this knowing smirk when he said that line, too.

I've said it before, I'll say it again. Fox 29 may not have the slickest-looking promos, but they make up for that with sheer creativity. I didn't expect them to be going where they're going with these Bolaris promos.

Epecially since that was supposed to be the low point of his career. I would think he would want to move on from that movement.

Archived