The HD News Thread

Ntropolis

It's confirmed that KGTV (ABC) in San Diego will be producing HD news sometime this summer, before September...

http://hdtv.forsandiego.com/messages/78/6331.html?1211333156

We originally planned for an April launch, but we ran into some delays in building out our new HD control room and waiting on new equipment. We have set a new launch for sometime this summer, definitely before September. I know that seems vague, but there are a lot of issues engineering wise that we have to work out. Not to mention, training on the new equipment and rehearsals so we are ready for broadcast. There

is a lot of change that a 50 year old TV station needs make to go HD.

Hang in there it's coming....

Patrick Givans

Director of Technology

KGTV-10 & KZSD-41

And from The San Diego Metropolitan, the new FOX 5 newscasts (KSWB-TV) will be in HD...

http://www.sandiegometro.com/dbr/index.php

KSWB TV, which becomes Fox 5 San Diego, an affiliation of the Fox Television Network, on Aug. 1, has appointed Rich Goldner as news director. The station on that date will debut the four-hour “Fox 5 Morning News” and the hourlong “Fox 5 News at Ten” -- all in high definition. Goldner spent 17 years with KTLA in Las Angeles, most recently as news director. Before that, he held the positions of executive producer for “Prime News” and executive producer for “The Morning Show.” Prior to joining KTLA, he was with CBS News, New York on the “CBS Morning Show” as associate/remote producer. The new Fox 5 San Diego is a Tribune Broadcasting station.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sinclair's Big Station becoming the first station in B-more to produce news in High Definition????!!!!!

Now that's definitely a laughing stalk to WMAR, WBAL & WJZ.

As of 5:30 PM EDT WBFF Fox 45 news is in HD. I'm looking at the clips on Redlasso. The set isn't too bad. However, the graphics leave a lot to be desired.

I am watching WBFF's 10 pm newscast and i'm totally blown away. Their new set is 10x better than any of the Baltimore stations. Even, i dare say in Washington DC as well. Even their Sinclair graphics actually look awesome in HD (it's true!). WTG WBFF!

WLTZ in Columbus, GA has gone HD as well, or so they say.

http://www.wltz.com/news/local/19364279.html

Wait a minute, if they're in HD, are their set cameras in Davenport are in HD too? If that's the case, then all the stations that covers Independent News Network should be in HD too. At least their Flagship News station, KLJB.

Wait a minute, if they're in HD, are their set cameras in Davenport are in HD too? If that's the case, then all the stations that covers Independent News Network should be in HD too. At least their Flagship News station, KLJB.

That is a big slap in the face for WTVM and WRBL. A station that restarted their newscast after 14 years in November of '07 goes hi-def before two better and well-known stations? And I think WLJB been hi-def since '03?

Sinclair's Big Station becoming the first station in B-more to produce news in High Definition????!!!!!

Now that's definitely a laughing stalk to WMAR, WBAL & WJZ.

Totally, and the Washington market next door has been really slow with HD too with only WUSA so far in HD in that market. But I am curious to see if there is anything out there about when stations like WRC, WJLA in DC or like WBAL, WJZ, and WMAR in Baltimore.

Scripps affilliates in KC and Tulsa went HD but not WMAR. I was just curious to see why that is?

Sorry for my rambling on.

so KENS 5 has been running ads that something is going to make history on KENS5 June 30th, which is in fact a monday.

i really don't know what to think about this, HD possibly? their news building is beyond huge, so they could have a secondary studio hidden in another part of their building that is HD Ready, but i'm not really sure.

WEAR in Pensacola is well on its way to going HD.. They are running a promo showing the deconstruction of their studio and showing a glimpse of their HD control room. It looks like they are in a transition period, they moved to a temporary set and got the new Sinclair weather graphics last week. They didn't say when they would go, but word on the street is sometime in August.

Here are three:

WHDH going HD July 15 but they may not advertise it till the Olympics in August.

KENS going HD June 30.

KHQ the NBC affiliate for Spokane is going HD Aug 8 2008.

The only station i'm sure of is WHDH though I asked the GM.

How notorious.

This is a reference to my messages calling WEAR “the notorious ABC affiliate from Pensacola, Florida” due to their longtime mistreatment of network programming at the viewers' expense. They may have high definition newscasts in the immediate future, but viewers will be looking for quality programming over this quantity.

KGTV has finished their HD transition but haven't started broadcasting. There may be some bugs though. The graphics look really good in SD. I guess they have HD graphics.

Any word on whether WGN 9 goes HD for news? They look like they can handle HD. Other Tribune stations are going HD. Hopefully WGN will get it's turn. Just curious since I saw a part of WGN news on WGN america.

This popped up on one of WAVY's weather graphics this evening. In the top right, you can see an "HD" next to the Super Doppler 10 logo. it seems to be moved over from where the Super Doppler 10 logo usually is. That's Don Slater's hand for anyone who might make a comment.

superdoppler10hd.jpg

They just got this minor update to their weather graphics the other day, maybe it was because the weather graphics software was updated?

Archived