The HD News Thread

Ntropolis

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...

WTAE is getting closer and closer to becoming HD ready...

This morning they were using their regular school delay graphics on the regular analog feed but their digitial feed on Comcast was in HD and it was using a different styling. This was the first morning they have used it, so I'm assuming they'll probably switch over sometime soon.

wtaesd.png

Regular

wtaehd.png

HD

--Note the new bug and different font scheme

That doesn't mean too much. It just means they have an HD graphics generator now. WAVY/WVBT just got one recently, and they now have school closings, election results, severe weather crawls, and on-screen IDs in HD. It is, however, a step towards local HD... we know WTAE has the set and graphics capability.

And since when did you get an HD tuner? :D

That doesn't mean too much. It just means they have an HD graphics generator now. WAVY/WVBT just got one recently, and they now have school closings, election results, severe weather crawls, and on-screen IDs in HD. It is, however, a step towards local HD... we know WTAE has the set and graphics capability.

And since when did you get an HD tuner? :D

If you plug your digital cable box into your computer via firewire you can capture video and take still images from that video. It's the one thing Comcast is good for!

The video is .m2t, and I don't know how to put it into another format, though.

If you plug your digital cable box into your computer via firewire you can capture video and take still images from that video. It's the one thing Comcast is good for!

The video is .m2t, and I don't know how to put it into another format, though.

You must have an HD settop box, because the standard ones don't have the firewire port. Then again, my boxes are a couple of years old, so they might have changed.

You must have an HD settop box, because the standard ones don't have the firewire port. Then again, my boxes are a couple of years old, so they might have changed.

I think it's only a particular Moto box, which I happen to have.

Christian, get VLC Player. You can open the m2t videos in there, and use the Streaming/Exporting Wizard to transcode to a MOV file or even an MP4.

I think it's only a particular Moto box, which I happen to have.

Christian, get VLC Player. You can open the m2t videos in there, and use the Streaming/Exporting Wizard to transcode to a MOV file or even an MP4.

I already have VLC Player, so I'll play around with the streaming/exporting wizard. I'm assuming you're using your Mac to capture this, Matt? I found a really nice way to do it on my old iMac G4.

This is my cable box: http://cgi.ebay.com/Motorola-HD-Dual-Tuner-DVR-DCH6416-HDMI-Used_W0QQitemZ130199761328QQihZ003QQcategoryZ39804QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

KPIX 5 in San Francisco looks like it will go HD next week. Saw a press release that they will start a 10pm newscast on their duopoly station on March 3rd that will be "broadcast in HD."

KPIX hasn't had a structural set change since 1996 -- just a refresh around 2001/2002. Heard rumors the old KCBS set was trucked up there. We will see...

KPIX 5 in San Francisco looks like it will go HD next week. Saw a press release that they will start a 10pm newscast on their duopoly station on March 3rd that will be "broadcast in HD."

KPIX hasn't had a structural set change since 1996 -- just a refresh around 2001/2002. Heard rumors the old KCBS set was trucked up there. We will see...

They already are in HD....and have been for quite some time....

Also wondering....perhaps the 10pm newscast will be on Channel 44, similar to what KGO does with TV20, is it?

They already are in HD....and have been for quite some time....

Also wondering....perhaps the 10pm newscast will be on Channel 44, similar to what KGO does with TV20, is it?

Ah, I should have googled...they've been doing hd since the beginning of the month. So much for the new set hopes. 10pm will be on 44 - 30 minutes, using the primary 11pm team.

http://www.broadcastingcable.com/article/CA6529271.html?industryid=47169

WTAE is getting closer and closer to becoming HD ready...

This morning they were using their regular school delay graphics on the regular analog feed but their digitial feed on Comcast was in HD and it was using a different styling. This was the first morning they have used it, so I'm assuming they'll probably switch over sometime soon.

wtaesd.png

Regular

wtaehd.png

HD

--Note the new bug and different font scheme

Hopefully they will get a new graphics package like the other Hearst affilates. Wonder what is taking WTAE so long to go HD?

Ah, I should have googled...they've been doing hd since the beginning of the month. So much for the new set hopes. 10pm will be on 44 - 30 minutes, using the primary 11pm team.

http://www.broadcastingcable.com/article/CA6529271.html?industryid=47169

Haven't SF stations tried competing against one of the highest rated 10 pm newscasts in the entire country (KTVU) and not succeed before? Why would they try again?

WTVJ was testing out HD yesterday during the 4pm and 5pm hour, they had some glitches, (half of a newsupdate was in SD, and in SD, the l3s ran off the screen).. Probably launch on Monday...

Archived