What on tap in LA TV in 2007?

hawgrdnsguy

Whats on tap in LA TV in 2007? Who is retiring? Who leaving LA TV news (either out of business completely; going network, changing markets)? How about changing stations? Who is on double duty TV to radio or tv to print? Is there any word on new sets, graphics, music, on air talents? What about High Def. what station is making the plunge this year?

Thanks and Merry belated Christmas and Happy Holidays

hawgrdnsguy (formerly hgguy I couldn't log in with my old login information)

It was mentioned on air by KTLA weatherman Mark Kriski that they were going Hi-def in the new year. Also KCBS and KCAL are rumored to go HD in the new year when they move into their brand new studios in the San Fernando Valley. As for KNBC my guess is that they will be the next NBC O&O station to jump on the HD bandwagon. KTTV and KCOP ? who knows, it's up in the air, lets see what good ol' Rupert Murdoch does next. :-\

I was mentioned on air by KTLA weatherman Mark Kriski that they were going Hi-def in the new year. Also KCBS and KCAL are rumored to go HD in the new year when they move into their brand new studios in the San Fernando Valley. As for KNBC my guess is that they will be the next NBC O&O station to jump on the HD bandwagon. KTTV and KCOP ? who knows, it's up in the air, lets see what good ol' Rupert Murdoch does next. :-\

KTTV and KCOP are often very late when it comes to technology. KCBS/KCAL will definitely be going HD along with KYW and WBBM.

Nothing new otherwise.

It was mentioned on air by KTLA weatherman Mark Kriski that they were going Hi-def in the new year.

I dont get it, KTLA went HD in 1998 when they flipped the switch on Mt. Wilson. It was on the morning news when they debuted. It was on the day when John Glenn took that shuttle launch to space.

well if the news goes HD, Im guessing a new set is in the works again?

It was mentioned on air by KTLA weatherman Mark Kriski that they were going Hi-def in the new year.

I dont get it, KTLA went HD in 1998 when they flipped the switch on Mt. Wilson. It was on the morning news when they debuted. It was on the day when John Glenn took that shuttle launch to space.

I doubt that they will change their set again. the current one is going to be 2 years old in january, maybe they'll tweak it a little bit. But stranger things have happened.

Don't forget that Tribune still owns KTLA. KTLA "might" still be up for sale.

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-briefs19.4dec19,1,7744686.story?coll=la-headlines-business

The Chicago-based media company — whose holdings include the Los Angeles Times, KTLA-TV Channel 5 and the Chicago Cubs — has been on the block for three months. No formal bids have been made for the entire company, although several private investment firms and newspaper giant Gannett Inc. have expressed interest.

ktladtaug09004vx4.jpg

The Chicago-based media company — whose holdings include the Los Angeles Times, KTLA-TV Channel 5 and the Chicago Cubs — has been on the block for three months. No formal bids have been made for the entire company, although several private investment firms and newspaper giant Gannett Inc. have expressed interest.

Have other people expressed interest? like The NY Times and CBS Corp just to name a few.

Have other people expressed interest? like The NY Times and CBS Corp just to name a few.

I think that CBS corp. was interested in KTLA, but the triopoly thing with KCBS, and KCAL and if they were KTLA kind of has them thinking twice about it. Although CBS corp. should look in into buying CW 11 in New York and then they can have a duopoly there.

Are triopolies even allowed under FCC rules?

No.

if triopolies arent allowed by the FCC why does NBC Universal own KNBC, KVEA and KWHY in L.A. ?

I think the rule applies to ownership of VHF and UHF stations. KNBC is VHF, while the other two are UHF.

KTLA had the capability of broadcasting programs in HD in 1998. Their news programs, however, do not have this capability yet. Currently, the only station that has news in HD is KABC.

As far as people changing markets, LAObserved.com is reporting Ross Becker is leaving KNBC.

http://www.laobserved.com/archive/2006/12/moving_up_the_road.php

Longtime local news figure Ross Becker is leaving NBC4 and the on-hiatus daytime show he anchored, The Local Story, for an anchor slot at KTVX, the ABC-affiliated Channel 4 in Salt Lake City.

nbc6dq0.jpg

No.

if triopolies arent allowed by the FCC why does NBC Universal own KNBC, KVEA and KWHY in L.A. ?

KWHY is an LP, or Low Power Station. According to the FCC, an entity may own as many LP stations as they wish, so long as they don't interfere with full-power television stations. So as long as KWHY does not interfere with existing stations, they can be owned by NBC along with the current duopoly of KNBC/KVEA.

This is also the same reason why the "triopoly" of WCAV/WVAW/WAHU can exist in Charlottesville, VA. WCAV is a full-power station, broadcasting CBS. WVAW is a low-power station broadcasting ABC, and WAHU is a Class A television station, which means that it broadcasts under low-power guidelines but is protected since it contributes more than 18 hours of programming and follows the FCC rules for E/I programming and broadcasts emergency alert system (EAS) messages. Class A television stations also qualify for digital signals, which is another difference between them and -LP stations.

So, to recap, if at least one station out of the three are low-power or Class-A, the triopoly can exist. If all are full-power, the triopoly is illegal.

Hope that helps!

Sources:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Low-power_broadcasting

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Class_A_television_service

http://www.fcc.gov/cgb/consumerfacts/lptv.html

Guest Former Member 207

No.

KWHY is an LP, or Low Power Station. According to the FCC, an entity may own as many LP stations as they wish, so long as they don't interfere with full-power television stations. So as long as KWHY does not interfere with existing stations, they can be owned by NBC along with the current duopoly of KNBC/KVEA.

This is also the same reason why the "triopoly" of WCAV/WVAW/WAHU can exist in Charlottesville, VA. WCAV is a full-power station, broadcasting CBS. WVAW is a low-power station broadcasting ABC, and WAHU is a Class A television station, which means that it broadcasts under low-power guidelines but is protected since it contributes more than 18 hours of programming and follows the FCC rules for E/I programming and broadcasts emergency alert system (EAS) messages. Class A television stations also qualify for digital signals, which is another difference between them and -LP stations.

So, to recap, if at least one station out of the three are low-power or Class-A, the triopoly can exist. If all are full-power, the triopoly is illegal.

Hope that helps!

Sources:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Low-power_broadcasting

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Class_A_television_service

http://www.fcc.gov/cgb/consumerfacts/lptv.html

Not quite correct....there is a KWHY-LP, but it's not quite the same KWHY, because the one in Los Angeles is a full-power station. KWHY-LP is a low-powered repeater that serves the Santa Barbara area, about a 100 miles northwest. In fact, KWHY did/does low-powered satellite stations in San Diego (however, it doesn't carry the entire the KWHY schedule) and Phoenix.

Thanks for the clarification ShawnieMac. I'm kinda perplexed then by how that triopoly exists in LA. Maybe because there are so many voices in the LA Market? Or would it be a technical duopoly with the Telemundo O&O KVEA and not a triopoly per se because Telemundo was bought out by NBC Universal?

Archived