High School TV Stations

tvweatherman

Guest Milwaukee12

Must be nice to have a school with enough money to so that. All I had to use was 2 RCA camcorders and 2 vcr's. The only thing MPS splurged on was the editing board.

at my HS we have a daily news program for school related news, we make intros, tape all sports, do reports on school events, tape graduation ceremonies, football games, choir concerts etc. I am an anchor, those who wish to anchor, get to anchor once a week with another student who shares the same day as you. When we are not anchoring and are not in crew rotation we edit projects we have using avid. We are required to make a certain amount of intros and reports. When we are on crew we are assigned to any type of news position (teleprompter, VTR, graphics, audio, director, floor director, camera, etc)

At our school, we have 4 sections. 101, 202, 303, and 404. 101's and 202's do the basics, (script writing, story boarding, learning how to use the camera, ect.), The 303's and the 404's do the news that we do weekly. We do both school and local news for our news program.

At my former high school, the studio opened in my freshman year. I took TV Production 1, in which most everything was done in the studio (I got to work the audio board twice!), and TV Production 2, where we mostly used camcorders. There is also a TV Workshop class you can take up to 2 times, but I didn't take TV Production 1 and 2 early enough to do that. That class does all of the major projects around the district, such as high school sports, middle school plays, etc.

In Timber Creek HS, we have TV Production Classes much like yours, tvweatherman.

At our school, we have 4 sections. 101, 202, 303, and 404. 101's and 202's do the basics, (script writing, story boarding, learning how to use the camera, ect.), The 303's and the 404's do the news that we do weekly. We do both school and local news for our news program.

101 = TV Pro I, where it's the basics and we make vids from it.

202 = TV Pro II, where we make videos - with our knowledge of how to make them - for our Wednesday Edition Paws show (we have a period in a classroom for 20-ish minutes, then lunch for 32 minutes - wednesday, the classroom stuff is cut in half)

303 = TV Pro III, where our flagship newscast, WOLF TV, is produed live every morning. I'm a regular/guest anchor, if you will, because I'm in TV I. We rotate teams every two weeks though.

404 = TV Pro IV, where we make movies (or short feature-length movies) for college credit.

On a separate note, this is me - a member of the WOLF TV team with a member of Fox 35 Weather Authority. [yt=425,350]X61pXrkD1tI[/yt]

And our opens do use actual news music.

We have a news program at Booker. We tape it the day before it airs in the beginning of the year, and then when it is the second half of the year, the freshman do it right before 2nd block.

I was considered lead anchor for the show. I was anchoring every Monday, Wednesday and Friday. On Tuesdays and Thursdays, I would either be producer or director, but sometimes I would take other jobs. There was one time I anchored 2 weeks straight. After now our level of students don't do the news, but my teacher said she was going to put me in the rotation because I was the only one who really liked doing it.

We don't use actual news music, but I think I'm going to start talking about it to the teachers and contact some music companies. Although we don't have news music, we have WWSB's old set.

my former school has 10 editing mac's, digital board, and they just got a set makeover complete with plasma screens...wish my new school had all that

cripes, our schools tv station was in an old storage closet. we had 3 editing computers, but we did have a green wall, i was the main anchor, executive producer, editor and news director. our shows tended to be more entertainment minded, i tried to change it, but our audience was A.D.D. enough anyways, more news would have driven them away.

why is this in the weather section anyways?

Unfortuently my school doesnt have a tv station, though I was able to create a radio station for our school. Its currently all digital with podcasts and a live stream and we have a number of programs ranging from news, to sports, to music. We even do play-by-play of some school sporting events and were recently featured in a local paper. I also took our high school newspaper to the web since my district takes months to actually print the paper. Though I do anchor a newscast called QuickNews Live on QNGAZ.com, which includers reporters from our radio station, school paper and QNGAZ.com personalities. Matter of fact, I'm thinking of expanding the QuickNews Live reporting staff by allowing people to tape reports and e-mail them to me to air on the broadcast. Anyone interested? I'll have some more details to come. The broadcast is just over one year old and we've reached over 35,000 people. I group all three under the 'Networks of QNGAZ.com' and you can find them all on there if your interested.

Network Homepage/QuickNews Live: http://www.qngaz.com

Radio: Smithtown Radio: http://www.SmithtownRadio.com

Newspaper: The Matador: http://www.TheMatadorOnline.com

My [old] high school has a TV studio and station. Despite going on 2 1/2 years since graduation, I still help out there in technical capacities [we just had our studio equipment upgraded]. There are 3 classes, which do announcements broadcasts [no real news music, BTW], news reports, PSA's, etc. We also produce studio segments and packages for a local access program featuring other schools.

Tech wise, we've just had new cameras put in the studio [2 mini DV camcorders, but picture quality is very close to real studio cams], as well as a switcher/non-linear edit system, another non-linear system, and SVHS/DVD machines. Our set is quite spartan [pun slightly intended---that's our mascot ;)], and our graphics [which come from the switcher system] are not too good at the moment [everyone's gotta re-learn the new stuff].

• 8 months later...

well, Lincoln HS has a old KXAS set. I don't know if they do any school news or if they just use it to practice on. Skyline, my alma mater, has a tv studio, but doesn't produce any news. Believe me, if they did, I would've went into the Media Tech cluster instead of Graphic Arts. (not graphic design)

• 2 weeks later...

Well cfif,

I don't know what the real big deal is, partially the reason why I put it in the weather section was because I am a weather guy, also, the question was do you have a tv station at your high school. Well I do, and I do the weather. Sorry for the inconvience!!!!!

:)

My school, Menchville High has one, but they call it the morning announcements. We have switchboard, audio, graphics, prompters, set, lights, floor directors, and photo journalists. Our open is pretty stupid though. We have random video from around the school and play a stupid Rob Thomas song.

My school, Menchville High has one, but they call it the morning announcements. We have switchboard, audio, graphics, prompters, set, lights, floor directors, and photo journalists. Our open is pretty stupid though. We have random video from around the school and play a stupid Rob Thomas song.

This thread brings back memories. It's been nearly 10 years since I graduated high school!

When I was in High School, the one I attended used to the same thing. They called it the "Morning announcements" until two things happened. One of them was the firing of the TV Production class teacher two weeks into the school year, the other was the fact that I had entered the class as a transfer from an elective I chose not to be in.

After we got a new teacher, I started a ground-up reorganization after gleaning advise from former KOMO director Dick Warsinske. Up to then, our set consisted of a fading matte painting (a smaller version of a Highclimber logger mural that was in our Minidome), and our opens consisted of random videos interspersed with the top 10 hits of the day.

About several weeks in, the first thing we did was overhaul the set. We got rid of the desk (which was a WWE-style folding table with a piece of plywood nailed to the front edge, and painted white, with mic stands nailed in place), then I contacted KOMO TV in Seattle for photos and plans for the set to KOMO News 4. After a week off from broadcasting, KSHS News 3 (as we called ourselves), opened up with a brand new set, Essentially a miniature version of KOMO in Seattle, we were. After arranging a deal with KOMO, we were also allowed use of portions of the KOMO News theme package. Our graphics were done on a Panasonic character generator (our open was a 3D creation by a company in Olympia), and all of our video cameras were high-fidelity S-VHS Panasonic video cameras (there were seven in all, three of which were in-studio dedicated units with homemade teleprompters).

About two months into my junior year in high school, we overhauled the set again and decided to try an "open set" without a desk. We again consulted KOMO TV, this time for photos and plans of the set to their public affairs program "Town Meeting." I also attended a taping of Town Meeting one night to see how the set was built, and we had one built in less than three days. We actually alternated between sets by the time I was in my Senior year, as we were doing two broadcasts per day. Our first was the open set, then the second broadcast (as well as specials) used the more formal set.

I stayed in that class throughout my 4-year tenure, starting out as lead weather anchor (our forecast graphs, graphics, and data were provided by KOMO as I was also a freelance weather reporter for KOMO at the time), and moving on to holding nearly every lead position including lead anchor, producer and news director.

I wish I still had some videos from back in the day.

• 2 weeks later...

[yt=425,350]VeqcnI9H3Po[/yt]

A typical day on WOLF TV. And the guy on the left is me. :p

Aaaand the Po7 Clubhaus just exploded.

I'd show what we have, but the Ethics Police would knock down my door and steal my dog, so let me describe what we have at our all-Panasonic shop.

In the studio, we have 2 rather nice studio cameras shooting at around 800 lines, and one aging camera that wants to die. Set consists of basic furniture and a blue/black curtain. Nothing exciting. A new set is in the works for next semester...faux brick, here we come.

In the control room, we have a rather basic 12 input audio board with CD/Cassette for playback, an MX70 switcher, and 3 DVCPRO playback decks as well as an edit controller (Because you never know...). We also have an imager, and everybody's favorite character generator - the Title Maker 3000! Unfortunately, it was phased out when we hooked up a (very) old NLE we still had, and used the editor's chargen over our graphics. One lonely S-VHS deck remains to record anything analogue.

Here's the best picture I could find:

n1476330118_30055030_348.jpg

This picture was taken during a 2 hour live broadcast we put together for the school district's cable channel for our school's "Celebration of the Arts".

Field equipment consists of a "fleet" of DVC-60s, assorted lighting kids, and tripods in various states of disrepair. We edit on Tsunami PCs running Adobe Premiere Pro.

Classes are set up as follows:

- TV Production 1 (Studio Production)

- TV Production 2 (Field Production)

- Broadcast Journalism

- Computer Graphics for Video (Adobe After Effects)

I'm very proud of our school's video program. It started in 1978 (!) when American Cablevision (later Suburban Cable, now Comcast) built and rented out studio space in the High School, then later gave it to the High School when it cost too much to maintain. Dr. Jeff Benton, who retired 2 years ago, really helped build the TV classes and really got students excited about TV Production while putting out a professional product time after time, even up to his retirement in 2005. He was great - he really did care about his job and wanted students to work with the same equipment they'd be working with in the real world.

Archived