Fox O&O Sale Confirmed (Pending FCC Approval and all...)

TV Active 3

Now will begin the "what if" speculations of WJW and WITI getting CBS back and KTVI getting ABC back. Since their former network affiliations are on weak stations.

Interesting situation in St. Louis. I would think FOX has long term affiliate clauses but wouldn't it be nice for KDNL to be shut out. You also have to wonder with LocalTV and Tribune now combining forces, what happens to both KTVI and KPLR (CW). My bet, status quo but some changes for the better would be nice. KTVI returns to ABC, KPLR picks up FOX and a news operation, WRBU to CW and KDNL to my nobody watches tv! Again, just a dream.

Hmm...interesting that WHBQ-Memphis was originally announced as one of the stations up for sale, but not sold to Local TV, LLC. Though it makes sense since Local TV already owns WREG-3 in Memphis. I wonder if Fox will still spin that station off to someone else.

Now will begin the "what if" speculations of WJW and WITI getting CBS back and KTVI getting ABC back. Since their former network affiliations are on weak stations.

Oh boy, that should be fun to hear all the rampant speculations here. ::) At least cbs46atlantafan isn't here anymore...

People, don't even start, because it's not gonna happen!

I remember Chris Warner saying something one time about all the changes that have to be made with a rebrand... logos have to be changed out, graphics redone, the talent has to get used to saying a new name (imagine going to "CBS 8" from being "FOX 8" for 10 years and how hard that might be for a talent... I recall someone hearing Sue Simmons say "News 4 New York" by mistake when WNBC has been NewsChannel 4 for 12 years!). It's just a lot of work, especially when some of these stations have spent so much on new sets and stuff. Chris said KSNF's vans still have the old logo on them and they've had the current logo for the past few years.

A condition of the deal is that the stations must remain FOX affiliates. There will be no switching.

The more interesting aspect of this deal is the new partnership between Local TV LLC and Tribune. Once this deal closes, there will be virtual duopolies in Denver and St. Louis. One has to wonder whether we will see newsroom combinations.

Interesting situation in St. Louis. I would think FOX has long term affiliate clauses but wouldn't it be nice for KDNL to be shut out. You also have to wonder with LocalTV and Tribune now combining forces, what happens to both KTVI and KPLR (CW). My bet, status quo but some changes for the better would be nice. KTVI returns to ABC, KPLR picks up FOX and a news operation, WRBU to CW and KDNL to my nobody watches tv! Again, just a dream.

It's a dream. If ANYTHING KPLR basically shuts down all news operations, or has Fox 2 produce them and hands over the keys to the new, modern (well new and modern compaired to KTVI) building in Maryland Heights to Fox 2.

• 1 month later...
Update: Fox will be holding onto WHBQ in Memphis

Makes sense, since they've won 10 Emmy awards recently, and it's also one of the top-rated Fox affiliates in the country. Then again, I'm not counting out that they may try to sell the station again in the future.

I certainly don't like it. I especially don't know why they are also keep KTBC in Austin if they really wanted to sell off a third of their television stations. The station I really wanted FOX to keep is WDAF FOX 4 in KC which that's one of the highest-rated Fox Affils in the Country. In the future, I would suggest either LIN or Meredith owning WHBQ.

• 4 months later...
Local TV's overspending on these... I wouldn't be surprised if we see Media General-style layoffs and centralization.

The layoffs will definitely happen at Local TV, be assured. Tribune, which is partnering up with Local TV, will be cutting jobs and cutting costs where ever they can. Those cuts will happen sooner rather than later. The Chicago Tribune has an article on the staff cuts...http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/chi-fri_rosenthaljun06,0,3045941.column

Local TV's overspending on these... I wouldn't be surprised if we see Media General-style layoffs and centralization.

Local TV right now is like Daniel Snyder when he first purchased the Redskins and was flinging money around trying to build a contender by grabbing a bunch of free-agents.

What i am getting so tired of is how Local TV supports WHO-TV SOOOO much

everything is Channel 13, Channel 13, WHO is awesome..... ugggggggggggggg

its all because of Dale Woods..... WHO's GM and Regional VP of Local TV.....

I do know of changes that have started to occur, but nothing more at WQAD...... It seems to me that there a little disgusted with Local TV, because of there lack of help and support like what New York Times had and gave.....

Local TV had better not mess up KDVR. Fox treated it like a red-headed stepchild (they were the last O&O to get local news, they were almost the last to get the O&O GFX [though I don't like the graphics, or standardization] and they have hardly any news compared to the other Fox O&Os).

• 4 weeks later...

Well it'd be good if those stations got back their former affiliations especially in St. Louis. KDNL as ABC has always been a big joke.

As far as I'm concerned most stations were successful as CBS and ABC affiliates before the New World deal in the early 90s and becoming Fox stations only brought them down in the ratings. The only exceptions I think were WAGA in Atlanta and WTVT in Tampa.

Well it'd be good if those stations got back their former affiliations especially in St. Louis. KDNL as ABC has always been a big joke.[/QUOTe]

KDNL's days as an ABC affiliate might be numbered. Back in March, when Sam Zell was trolling through KPLR in St. Louis,(in addition to unoficially announcing the affiliation of KSWB with FOX) Zell mentioned that KDNL's affiliation with ABC was up I believe in 2010 or 2011. He said that Tribune was going make an effort to coup up the ABC affiliation in St. Louis for KPLR. So maybe we just might start seeing affiliation changes across the country in the near future. Unfortunately the whole meeting between Zell, his trolls and the folks at KPLR was deleted, but if anyone saw the whole thing, then they would know that Zell did bring it up.

Archived