Sweeps Month Scare Tactics

SuitSnob

So, what "YOU CAN'T MISS THIS" stories are the local stations scaring viewers into tuning in for Sweeps? Just today I see ABC7 is doing "Toxic Baby Bottles!!!" and FOX5 is doing "Thieves That Trap Their Victims With Choke-holds!!!"

Should we have a contest to see which station stoops the lowest?

My personal favorite:

Saturday's spot:

"Monday at 6PM find out which common household cleaner under your sink can be the most deadly chemical known to man!"

or,

"Next week we'll explore how the cities most dangerious sex offenders are living next to you."

I personally think that ABC 7's story about toxic baby bottles is more serious than the Fox 5 story. Fox seems to overhype their stories way too much. To me, Fox embodies sensationalist journalism. That's just my opinion. Feel free to disagree.

What's worse is that there are no more "sweeps" in New York City since the DMA turned into a people meter market years ago. Ad agencies know what the viewership of a station is at any point in the year with the meter results. February, May, November (and sometimes July) are now just a way for each station's promo and PR writers to have some fun.

What's worse is that there are no more "sweeps" in New York City since the DMA turned into a people meter market years ago. Ad agencies know what the viewership of a station is at any point in the year with the meter results. February, May, November (and sometimes July) are now just a way for each station's promo and PR writers to have some fun.

So is it possibly a way to draw viewers to the station in general, in hopes of seeing promos for th network shows?

WABC did some stupid report on a psychic. It was crap, as always.

I saw that report. Horrible. How is it investigative journalism (this was done under "The Investigators" moniker) to spend 4 minutes talking about some idiot who forked over $500,000 to a psychic and was told to step on oranges to release evil spirits? Any monkey could walk into a psychic shop and come back and tell you all the crazy things they wanted you to do and the outrageous prices they charge for these things.

Let's see how creative we can be:

Tonight at 11: "How your drive home from work could be deadly."

Tomorrow on Today: "How to sleep better."

Tonight how watching and seeing the news could be bad for your health

WBBM in Chicago shown an investigative report on Sunday about how the peghooks at retail stores can injure people..

What's next? Everything at the store has to be kept behind the counter and handed to the customer by an employee so the customer doesn't risk injuring him or herself?

In the past week WHDH has done stories on the cleanliness of movie theaters, the hazard that music from stores in the mall poses to your health, what happens when you leave stuff in the back of taxi cabs, and the security issue with airport kiosks. Check them all out here.

Nothing can beat WNYW's "classic" Problem Solvers reports from a few years ago, which were completely over the top. I specifically remember the report about the dangers of drinking from a water hose (oh no!!!!!) and another about a crooked contractor from New Jersey named Bob (this isn't your kids' Bob the Builder!!!).

Making viewers laugh really should not have been their goal.

Archived