No Surprise: WTVJ/WVIT Up for Sale

first on fox

NBC is putting two of its stations, WTVJ in Miami (market 16) and WVIT in Hartford (market 28), up for sale. The NBCU local media division sent a note to staffers about the sale and insiders tell us meetings are being held at the stations today.

More: http://www.mediabistro.com/tvnewser/nbc/nbcu_puts_two_stations_up_for_sale_80298.asp

I'm quite surprised too, they let go of one of their biggest stations. What i don't get though, is ho w are they selling WTVJ, but keeping WSCV.. They are in the same building...

I have a giant hunch that either Media General or Gannett will snatch WTVJ so quick. On the other hand, I knew that NBC wouldn't keep the Hartford station for long. If they are trying to worry about the top 10 markets, they need to let go also to KNSD 39 and let LIN's 24% Involvement of KXAS cease.

I hope that these new private equity firm companies don't get their hands on these stations.

I have a giant hunch that either Media General or Gannett will snatch WTVJ so quick. On the other hand, I knew that NBC wouldn't keep the Hartford station for long. If they are trying to worry about the top 10 markets, they need to let go also to KNSD 39 and let LIN's 24% Involvement of KXAS cease.

I hope that these new private equity firm companies don't get their hands on these stations.

I suspect that the reason for keeping KNSD was because most of the stuff is run out of NBC in Burbank. Not to mention that KNSD is a pretty strong NBC affiliate, but who knows if down the road NBC might decide to sell its share of KNSD. I find it funny that NBC would invest in WTVJ to upgrade to HD and then turn around and sell it.

Great for WVIT... they had a strong book... a new building coming in January... NBC is holding them back.

Yeah, since selling WNCN to Media General they look much better... I still think they're still being clobbered by WRAL and WTVD in the book though. Depending on who picks up WVIT, they could go to from one of the most neglected NBC O&Os to a prominent flagship in a station group.

Very surprising that they'd sell WTVJ...

A little birdie tells me Sunbeam is a good bet for WTVJ, and NBC doesn't mind them much.

How about Local TV LLC or Newport Television (the group that took television off Clear Channel's hands) for WVIT? Both are in good shape financially, and I'm sure both would love a solid station in market 29.

Who would be the senior partner in that, though? (not only that, but can they even do it? Since I'd gather that both TVJ and SVN are in the top 4...)

A WTVJ/WSVN combo sounds incredibly interesting.

Oh crap, I totally forgot about the Spanish-language stations there.

With those in the mix, then it IS a possibility, as the Spanish-language stations do outperform the English-language ones.

And another thing that just popped in my head.

Perhaps this sale is so they can free up cash to go after two things they set their sights on, that begin with the letters "The Weather Channel" and "KRON"?

I think Media General will be a serious player for both stations. It would give them NBC affiliates in the two biggest Florida markets and NBC affiliates in neighboring New England markets.

The fact that MG is selling stations is irrelevant. They are selling properties that don't make them any money. As long as you can generate cash to make your debt payments, the size of one's debt isn't that big a deal. It's when you don't make any money that it becomes a problem.

If they have the money to do the deal, it's a no-brainer.

Archived