No Surprise: WTVJ/WVIT Up for Sale

first on fox

I don't think it would be legally possible...like Hulkie mentioned....WSVN and WTVJ would have to be in the top 4 stations (unless the Spanish language stations rate higher -- still, I can't see the FCC allowing this).

And indeed, the Spanish stations *DO* rank higher. Constantly. It's Miami for God's sake.

I'm not sure Ed Ansin would put $20 million in HD equipment and upgrades for WSVN (I guess $10 million if we're talking a split between both SVN and the HDH/LVI duopoly) and then screw them royally. *If* Ansin puts the money toward WTVJ, though...I think SVN flips BACK to NBC; WTVJ becomes FOX 6. Ansin would do it just to rub it in NBC's faces.

I could also see FOX stepping in, making TVJ an O&O regardless of the moneymaker SVN is, and SVN would have to flip. (Though...FOX still looks to be on the short list of possible interested buyers in KRON...but this really signifies that NBC could also make a move on it too, and that makes the debate that much more interesting.)

Who else? Maybe Hearst? It would make sense--they already have WESH/WKCF in Orlando, WPBF in West Palm Beach...Media General also makes sense with WFLA and the previous purchases of WNCN and WJAR. Could Local TV LLC also go after one of them? Maybe. They've already shown the purchasing power to acquire *several* former FOX O&Os.

HulkieD has a good point, in fact I've been thinking the same thing since reading about it,PLUS NBCU also put up for sale Sundance Channel, so let me add a few things, you sell WTVJ,WVIT and lets say give LIN either or both KNSD and KXAS and (should a certain upcomming trial go Televisa's way) half of Telemundo goes to Televisa..

What would the total be for both KRON and The Weather Channel if NBCU was to buy both

As for a WSVN/WTVJ duop, interesting concept..but why would WTVJ leave their modern digital television building ?

Let the record show that both myself and Mr. Butler "called it" in this exact procession.

KXAS or KNSD are next.

Thank you Mr. Horn.

If you read the press release for the sale, the NBCU O&O head said that they want to focus on the top 10 markets and obviously WTVJ and WVIT don't quite fit that mold, which leads me to believe that this is a cost cutting move and they want to have more money to invest in their larger market stations (say WCAU or WMAQ).

So what's also going to happen to the master controls that are housed at WTVJ?

This is not a factor at the moment. NBC is converting its mastering for o/o to NY. The equipment is being installed now, or done.

I'm going to with a wild guess on both WVIT and WTVJ.

WVIT: Hearst-Argyle, giving it 4 outlets in New England. Wouldn't it be funny if Post-Newsweek comes back to Hartford and buys WVIT. I'm sure that would piss off WFSB. Will never happen though I'm sure P-N burned a lot of bridges in Hartford by trading WFSB and moving their corporate TV offices to Detroit.

WTVJ: Cox, they know how to turn a station into a dominant one just look at WSB and WFTV.

Eh, I've heard of this Patrick fellow before. He's an opportunistic dumb ass, IIRC.

Look at his list of "potential buyers." With a couple of exceptions it's questionable...

Cox? Maybe... They haven't bought anything TV since 2000. Keep in mind, they're in a situation similar to Trib -- lots of newspaper properties killing the bottom line.

Belo? Again, maybe. Their last purchase was WUPL last year. On top of that, they're just coming out of a major corporate restructuring. The money's probably there, but how liquid is it?

Local TV was one I suggested, so I'll give him this one.

Hearst-Argyle? I'm inclined to say no, but their revenue is up. WVIT would be a nice addition to their New England properties. WTVJ would work well geographically with their Florida stations.

LIN owns nothing above market 26; they specialize in smaller market television, meaning I doubt they want WTVJ. Plus, they're excluded outright from WVIT.

Meredith, like LIN, is out of the running for WVIT. I wouldn't be surprised if they made a play for WTVJ, but I'd be less surprised if they didn't.

Gannett is very much the same as Cox. WTVJ would be the best fit, but I'm not sure it's cost effective for them. This one suggestion of Patrick's made me lulz the most, though.

As for Raycom, I could see them playing for WTVJ. WVIT makes no sense for them.

And Providence Equity I've suggested, too (Newport Television).

Still, that's a bull shit list he has. And the values are way high, too.

• 4 weeks later...

In my opinion, NBC should keep WTVJ, but sell WVIT and a couple of its Telemundo stations in smaller markets, such as in Fresno, Salt Lake City or Denver.

NBC owns stations (affiliated with NBC) in seven of the top three markets. The three markets without an NBC O&O are Boston, Atlanta, and Houston. I hope NBC is willing to buy KPRC Local 2 and form a duopoly with KTMD (47), since it wants to focus on the top ten markets.

Why should nbc keep TVJ? One has said that Miami is a gateway to Central and South America. OK, assuming it were true, would not SCV be that connection? - not TVJ. TVJ was a top station in the market. - actually, the top. Because of NBC, their hirings, and other blokes and challenges at TVJ, it is now the bottom. Again, I fail to see why NBC should keep TVJ. Losing the NBC affiliation in the 80s did not hurt SVN.

NBC9Houston brings up something interesting...sort of a "what If"

What if NBC and Gannett did a property flip , 11ALIVE goes NBC O&O , TVJ goes Gannett?

Either Way I think NBCUNI are going full steam for The Weather Channel in hopes to merge it with their Weather Plus.

I do think either Local TV LLC or Newport Television would be a perfect fit for TVJ ..on a side note, you seen Newport's logo..sort of reminds one of NBC dont it ?

NBC9Houston brings up something interesting...sort of a "what If"

What if NBC and Gannett did a property flip , 11ALIVE goes NBC O&O , TVJ goes Gannett?

I'm not sure I can see that happening, except possibly if NBC trades both WTVJ and WVIT to Gannett.

..on a side note, you seen Newport's logo..sort of reminds one of NBC dont it ?

Nope.

on a side note, you seen Newport's logo..sort of reminds one of NBC dont it ?

Newport_Television.gif

NBC-logo-RGB-pos_270x269.jpeg

One is only left to assume you're blind.

Property swaps are bad business in today's structure; it's almost a guarantee it won't ever happen.

Archived