WEAR-TV Airs News Over "The Ten Commandments"

Mario500

Instead of airing the first hour of ABC's broadcast of the 1956 version of "The Ten Commandments", notorious affiliate WEAR aired their hour-long 6:00 PM newscast as usual. This should be the final straw for WEAR, which I don't recall ever having a problem with the movie.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How did they handle it? Did they just join the movie in progress, or did they time shift it? If they joined in progress, did they make an announcement beforehand, or did they just drop into the movie without any indication as to what or why they did it? How about the late local news - did they air that at its scheduled time, or did they remain with the movie?

Details would be nice. :cool:

I know some ABC affils are very leanient to air the movie. Remember when they were airing the movie in it's entirely on Sunday nights until the early 2000s because of their strong Sunday Night Lineup. I know many stations (especially in the east & some stations in the Central Time Zone) will air it after World News Saturday at 7pm/ET-6pm/CT. But since some stations do air their Saturday Evening news at 6pm/CT, they would air the movie in it's entirely at 7pm/CT, just like what WEAR is doing. I wonder if they will have their local news at 11:43 tonight.

EDIT: Wait a minute, did they really pre-empt the first hour of the movie???!!!

If they did, that's wrong as hell.

A few minutes after “The Ten Commandments” ended near 10:45 PM, WEAR began airing it again from earlier scenes (shortly before the Red Sea scene). I also noticed another black screen moment during the commercial break (between network spots).

It seems that the station intended to tape delay the movie and air it from the beginning at 7:00 PM, but instead aired the network feed of the movie in progress. Poor service tonight, WEAR.

methinks WEAR wanted to capitalize on having the ONLY newscast on at 6:00 since WPMI's is on at 5:00, WKRG is airing the NCAA tournament, and WALA only does 1/2 hour at 9:00 pm on weekends. Someone in master control probably screwed up the source, aired it live, but at least had tape rolling over the first hour.

Still, yet another reason to love good ole WEAR!

What kills me is they ran an ABC swap spot in the newscast for the movie with "Tonight at 7/6 central!" That could have easily been fixed in advance but was overlooked.

Oh well, then that's just the final straw. How DARE they make a mistake of such magnitude during a much beloved (and rarely aired) Christian movie.

It's a conspiracy!! Contact the FCC!!! Pull their affiliation now!!!!

To ditch The Ten Commandments, and THEN to post a headline such as this on their website: "The federal government is warning people to check their cantaloupes". Riiiiiiiight.

The station has been taken over by heathens I tell ya! HEATHENS! Everybody grab a rock!

All I know is that when I moved to southern Missouri, most of the neighbor folk didn't take kindly to me mowing my lawn on Sunday. Something to the effect that I would have been stoned to death back in the days of the bible. Yeah, I can feel the love.

Archived