WEAR-TV Airs News Over "The Ten Commandments"

Mario500

Question for Mario:

If WEAR had aired the movie from the beginning starting at 7:00 CT as they intended to instead of joining it in progress like they did, would you still be complaining?

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have been reading this whole exchange since Sunday.

I will not get into the belittling and other things.

I see where both party are coming from but I notice something that no one is pointing out and should be the question. Why did WEAR not show the movie on a hour delay if it knew it was doing a 6:00pm news that way people who want the news would be happy and then people that want to watch "The Ten Commandments" would be happy as well.

As I see it WEAR do have a obligation to the community but they also have a obligation to the network. WEAR pulled an EPIC FAIL on both Saturday...plain and simple.

So let me guess, Mario. you're one of those people that Easter is ruin if you don't see "The Ten Commandments" and if you mess it up there will be hell to pay?

So you agree with him, then you taunt him.

You, sir, just learned the definition of "EPIC FAIL".

Many cable channels once served a minority of viewers until they decided to go on a more general route. For example, the USA Network and TBS.

If we don't bring up these issues, the broadcasters will always get away claiming they are "serving the public interest". Viewers have many choices on a Saturday night besides watching a movie on a broadcast station, but the station should at least serve interested viewers better.

You cannot possibly be this stupid.

Why do you continue to insist that WEAR has some sort of obligation to a small minority of people? You do realize this is your argument, right?

I'm sort of with you on how they showed the movie -- they should have played it in the correct order on a delay, but you go beyond that and say they should have nixed live, local news -- which you admit was the only local news available in the market at that hour -- in order to take the network feed live.

Why?

Why shirk their responsibility to the market and a majority of the people in the market just so you can get your Charlton Heston fix?

Question for Mario:

If WEAR had aired the movie from the beginning starting at 7:00 CT as they intended to instead of joining it in progress like they did, would you still be complaining?

No, I would not be complaining, but I would have chosen the other option to better serve the audience. Besides, WEAR is notorious for tape delays.

As a business, WEAR should have done a better job serving both audiences (news and the movie). Since they were unable to present the movie correctly, they should have saved the newscast for later. I am fully aware of what I'm saying. I'm just someone with great ideas and who believes in what is right.

I'm just someone with great ideas and who believes in what is right.

Somebody lied to you.

I'll ask this again, since you've avoided it: why should WEAR focus its efforts on the small minority and ignore the vast majority by not doing the news?

this has become the hilite of my day, watching people gripe about a movie, and a tv station who if it would of been KABC or WABC that joined it already in progress it would be come a new cult, and you would be complaining if WEAR didn't join in progress.

this has become the hilite of my day' date=' watching people gripe about a movie, and a tv station who if it would of been KABC or WABC that joined it already in progress it would be come a new cult, and you would be complaining if WEAR didn't join in progress.[/quote']

lol wut?

If you serve the minority of viewers properly, the "vast majority" will be around for what interests them more. If WEAR had taken the movie as provided by the network, they would have had no problem serving the minority of viewers interested. You may not consider the movie a major show, but some viewers were very disappointed in their station's treatment.

This issue with ABC's annual broadcast of "The Ten Commandments" is a small part of the bigger issues at WEAR, which only contributes to broadcasting's many issues that the public should be addressing. How many viewers know about the Children's Television Act of 1990 and its effect on broadcast TV and aspiring animators? I would suggest speaking to other viewers about uncommon issues in broadcasting and you may be in for a surprise.

Take a chance once in a while or be doomed to an unchanged broadcast industry. Pardon my numerous posts here, but there are readers who more information and an open mind to these unaddressed issues. Like a school teacher, it's not easy to teach others something new.

If you serve the minority of viewers properly, the "vast majority" will be around for what interests them more. If WEAR had taken the movie as provided by the network, they would have had no problem serving the minority of viewers interested. You may not consider the movie a major show, but some viewers were very disappointed in their station's treatment.

This issue with ABC's annual broadcast of "The Ten Commandments" is a small part of the bigger issues at WEAR, which only contributes to broadcasting's many issues that the public should be addressing. How many viewers know about the Children's Television Act of 1990 and its effect on broadcast TV and aspiring animators? I would suggest speaking to other viewers about uncommon issues in broadcasting and you may be in for a surprise.

Take a chance once in a while or be doomed to an unchanged broadcast industry. Pardon my numerous posts here, but there are readers who more information and an open mind to these unaddressed issues. Like a school teacher, it's not easy to teach others something new.

Wow.

I'm legitimately dumbfounded at your incredible and elegantly executed combination of pomposity and idiocy.

Mario, you've done nothing here except demonstrate your remarkable lack of understanding of the television industry. Please stop thinking that you here are like Moses descending Mount Sinai with his knowledge from the Lord. (lol, cogent simile)

If WEAR hosed the news to show the movie in its entirety, great. Either way, it's their call, and the people there in charge will make educated decisions as to what programming they'll show. They decided to serve their community with local news, which would usually be lauded.

Except by you, because they should serve the small, small minority that wants to see Charlton Heston's sinewy biceps.

I understand the broadcast industry and it's not so good. We can't let it fail us by ignoring what they think is best for us. Compared to the news and programming by the three stations in Mobile, WEAR doesn't provide the best service, but they try their best to serve the community in northwest Florida. What they need is new management and a new group of employees who believe in serving all viewers with all the programming that may interest them.

There is nothing idiotic about serving the minority and the majority. Let's all come to an agreement and calm down.

WEAR doesn't provide the best service, but they try their best to serve the community in northwest Florida.

FTW!

There is nothing idiotic about serving the minority and the majority. Let's all come to an agreement and calm down.

Yes there is: you can't serve both at the same time. Responsible people serve the majority -- the whole will-of-the-people thing. Some call it "democracy".

Now why should we calm down? You're the one flipping shit over a 50 year old movie.

pretty much i'm trying to say if this was a station that everybody adored it would be a totally different situation.

WABC preempts stuff. We're not flipping out, because it's normal.

yah i understand that' date=' and really i go to Pensacola a lot and they're not really that bad.[/quote']

[facepalm]

Sir, you came in here all gangbusters telling us to settle down.

All I'm saying is that Mario's the only one in the world with an issue. You still haven't corrected yourself.

You return volley with this.

[/facepalm]

Archived