WEAR-TV Airs News Over "The Ten Commandments"

Mario500

I'm sure I'm not the only one who has issues with WEAR. I don't mean to seem arrogant in these posts, but some of you need to learn that broadcasting can be changed for the better. WEAR may have employees with good intentions for their area, but they deserve better management and the public's thoughts.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm sure I'm not the only one who has issues with WEAR. I don't mean to seem arrogant in these posts, but some of you need to learn that broadcasting can be changed for the better. WEAR may have employees with good intentions for their area, but they deserve better management and the public's thoughts.

Sir, we're not the ones who need to learn anything; you, sir, need to learn the basics of broadcasting.

And I'm sure the thoughts of the majority were taken into account when they decided to run the news -- be those thoughts learned through ratings, sampling, or otherwise.

If you serve the minority of viewers properly, the "vast majority" will be around for what interests them more. If WEAR had taken the movie as provided by the network, they would have had no problem serving the minority of viewers interested.

But they would have ticked off the viewers who were expecting the news, whom I think would be a majority of the station's viewers.

I think the "Pack of Seven" needs to find new hobbies. You guys used to enforce staying on topic in threads... Now the pack finds enjoyment in attacking people.

To the former: we did?

To the latter: we do?

It seems we're only countering someone's claim that we're in the wrong -- and need to be taught by him -- when it comes to properly serving the public interest.

Forgive me if I'm hostile toward someone forcing the Mr. Miyagi act on me.

From my own experience, I have seen countless surveys where viewers and listeners think local news is the most important thing for a local station to be doing. If there had been a breaking news story, and they pre-empted the film for that, I don't think you'd complain in the slightest. But, because they goofed up, and spoiled your experience of watching the film, you have gone off the deep end, and "projected" a la Bill O'Reilly, that others had their experience ruined.

I'd like to know what the ratings were in that market during the 6pm-11pm hours. I think you'd find the local news was WEAR's highest rated show of the night. I could be wrong, but I don't think so. If there is any way to get that information, could somebody do that, please?

And another thing -- maybe Geoffrey could explain to us why Mario's argument is anywhere near valid.

I'm not siding with Mario's arguments here... But we used to just be able to disagree with people and their points on this board, not push what would normally be a rather minor thread to 100-plus posts, many of them coming from the some people making the same points within the span of only a few minutes. Now we make fun of people when they voice their opinions or even try out their creativity in the Graphics Department. I just think some of the disagreeing could be done more constructively instead of all the sarcasm and attempted cleverness.

I'm off my soapbox...

I'm not siding with Mario's arguments here... But we used to just be able to disagree with people and their points on this board, not push what would normally be a rather minor thread to 100-plus posts, many of them coming from the some people making the same points within the span of only a few minutes. Now we make fun of people when they voice their opinions or even try out their creativity in the Graphics Department. I just think some of the disagreeing could be done more constructively instead of all the sarcasm and attempted cleverness.

I'm off my soapbox...

Come on now...I think you're being just a tad unfair. Have you noticed how many times Mario has bitched about WEAR pre-empting stuff here? There are multiple threads on the topic, and they all revolve around the same thing. WEAR, partially or fully, pre-empting a show one time and Mario making a big stink out of it. He's the one making a mountain out of a molehill here, not us.

Beyond that, look at Mario's tone -- how we need to open our minds and allow him to teach us about broadcasting.

I fully expect that if I go onto a public forum and demand a station pander to a small minority, then tell people engaging me in debate about it that they need to allow me to reeducate them, I fully expect heaps of ridicule.

[theology]

The Ten Commandments is associated with Easter because the events surrounding the holiday (especially Palm Sunday, Maundy Thursday, and Good Friday) take place during Passover week.

[/theology]

Archived