Next on NBC's Chopping Block: WRC & KNTV

I just saw a promo in which WJLA was #1 at 11 PM when I was vacationing out that way. I guess the competition is stronger than I thought. That or ABC has a strong prime-time lineup.

WTF??!!! WJLA is #1 @ 11pm?? They dethrown WRC at 11pm??? Somebody shoot me!!! LMMFAO!

Kudos to Allbriton's Big Station. Keep the success going.

That was November 07 and Feb 05.

Oops my bad. I should have read the datelines more carefully. Here is one from last Friday. I'll also post it in the sweeps thread too.

BTW: WJLA's claim was based on household ratings which does not reflect the total number of people watching a program.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/05/22/AR2008052203857.html

These rumors are just that -- rumors.

It's highly unlikely that NBC Universal would let WRC or KNTV go. WRC is a cash-cow for the ailing network. It brings in a decent profit margin, #1 at 11PM or not. Its location is prime -- it houses the NBC Washington D.C. Bureau, it's a top 10 market, there's a loyal *established* following of viewers who still turn to News 4. It wouldn't make any fiscal sense to dump a station that is a relative success among the rest of the company's O&Os.

On the left coast, NBC has poured millions of bucks into KNTV. New studios, new HD equipment, talent, trying (in vain) to establish a broadcast identity in the Bay Area. Sure, they're fighting with KRON to stay in last place, but if there is a NBC O&O station to serve as a guinea pig for whatever 3.0 tricks corporate has up their sleeves, KNTV would be it, especially when you don't have much of an audience to lose.

But bottom-line: you don't cut loose a TV station that is keeping the company from sinking into the red, and you don't toss out one that you've invested heavily in.

But bottom-line: you don't cut loose a TV station that is keeping the company from sinking into the red, and you don't toss out one that you've invested heavily in.

agreed but, at some point NBC needs to rethink why a station was in first, now in last, and under their management (WTVJ) - Thanks NBC.

I understand WRC is one of only two network O&Os in the market but there is so much tradition with NBC and that station, that just feels impossible that NBC would sell them Who's next to be sold WCAU? WMAQ?

Don't worry, it won't be WMAQ.. WMAQ is a stepping stone for some of the higher ups at NBC. Plus, NBC gets a good chunk of money from their production facilities here in Chicago (Jerry Springer, Judge Mathis, Steve Wilkos Show, and some other shows that are listed at: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NBC_Studios ).

Archived