Next on NBC's Chopping Block: WRC & KNTV

Our friends over at DCRTV are reporting that they're hearing rumblings from a "reliable source" that NBC may be considering selling two more of their Owned & Operated stations. This time long time O&O WRC in DC and the recently acquired KNTV in San Jose. The curious thing about it is both FTVLive and TVSpy are reporting it as well, so something may be up. Stay Tuned for more information.

Our friends over at DCRTV are reporting that they're hearing rumblings from a "reliable source" that NBC may be considering selling two more of their Owned & Operated stations. This time long time O&O WRC in DC and the recently acquired KNTV in San Jose. The curious thing about it is both FTVLive and TVSpy are reporting it as well, so something may be up. Stay Tuned for more information.

WRC makes sense -- of the three traditional networks they're the only O&O. No need to compete there, and their assets would be better used on their national news op based in DC.

KNTV honestly baffles me -- they jumped through hoops to get a stick in the Bay Area.

Maybe they're gunning for KRON (again).

WRC makes sense -- of the three traditional networks they're the only O&O. No need to compete there, and their assets would be better used on their national news op based in DC.

KNTV honestly baffles me -- they jumped through hoops to get a stick in the Bay Area.

Maybe they're gunning for KRON (again).

KRON's the better station if you ask me.

I understand WRC is one of only two network O&Os in the market but there is so much tradition with NBC and that station, that just feels impossible that NBC would sell them Who's next to be sold WCAU? WMAQ? If a sale does happen is there any rule that still prohibits the Washington Post from buying WRC?

Hopefully DCRTV will get this story right about WRC. The site just got over a "problem" over local radio disc jockey Jack Diamond and last month I heard an announcer on a West Virginia radio station call Dave Hughes ( owner of DCRTV ) "a liar" on the air. Also I have heard that WJLA isn't a fan of Hughes and DCRTV either.

Sometimes it helps to be loved...someplace.

KRON's the better station if you ask me.

Still why would NBC spend so much money to get KNTV to broadcast news in HD plus the fact that they took the status as the flagship station of the Giants aways from KTVU after so many years if they were just going to sell them.

Also, WRC is the powerhouse of a very important media market. Why would NBC sell WRC.

Someone is messed up in the head and it is either DCRTV or NBC.

Still why would NBC spend so much money to get KNTV to broadcast news in HD plus the fact that they took the status as the flagship station of the Giants aways from KTVU after so many years if they were just going to sell them.

Also, WRC is the powerhouse of a very important media market. Why would NBC sell WRC.

Someone is messed up in the head and it is either DCRTV or NBC.

Agreed, I'm not putting much stock in this either til I hear it from the horse's mouth.

In fact when NBC first announced they were selling WTVJ and WVIT, they stated that they wanted to focus on the top 10 markets market both of which WRC and KNTV fall under, so this sale would kinda be counterproductive to that logic.

I'm kind of shocked that WRC would be cut, since they're doing pretty well in the ratings. I'm not surprised that KNTV is on the chopping block. I saw the ratings on KPIX's website, and KNTV was last in all time slots. We'll just have to wait and see who the buyers turn out to be.

I'm kind of shocked that WRC would be cut, since they're doing pretty well in the ratings. I'm not surprised that KNTV is on the chopping block. I saw the ratings on KPIX's website, and KNTV was last in all time slots. We'll just have to wait and see who the buyers turn out to be.

I could see them finding a strawman buyer for KRON-4, then "swapping" it for KNTV and moving the guts of the station to Channel 4 stick. I don't think it would be that hard to do, to be honest, as it was done in Miami in the mid-90s.

There was speculation on Newsblues of NBC buying the KRON and flipping it to Telemundo, but I think it would be more likely doing it the other way around. Buy KRON, moving the guts of KNTV's operation to Channel 4's signal and flipping the Channel 11 signal to Telemundo.

There was speculation on Newsblues of NBC buying the KRON and flipping it to Telemundo, but I think it would be more likely doing it the other way around.

Newsblues? You can almost guarantee anything that unemployed loser says is wrong.

Why NBC would sell one of their original O&O's (WRC) when it's #1 remains a mystery...assuming this is true.

As for your last comment, I'd be a little more likely to take DCRTV's claim over Newsblues.

I remember that KNTV was an ABC affiliate before the switch to NBC 6 years ago. (In fact, the Bay Area was probably the only area to have 2 ABC stations at the time, KGO and KNTV)

KNTV was technically the ABC affiliate for the Monterey/Salinas/Santa Cruz market and wasn't officially a "Bay Area" station. They lost the ABC affiliation in the summer of 2000, and became a secondary WB affiliate with KBWB and officially moved into the San Francisco/Oakland/San Jose DMA.

As for all of this speculation over NBC selling KNTV... I think it's just an unfounded rumor. While KNTV may be hurting in the ratings right now, every Bay Area station is consistently losing viewers left and right.

As far as moving to channel 4, any competitive advantage KRON had by being on channel 4 was largely erased when the KNTV transmitter moved to Mt. San Bruno in 2005. The channel 11 analogue and channel 12 digital signal is arguably stronger in many parts of the Bay Area than the channel 4 signal originating from Sutro Tower (just don't ask people living in the Sunset or Western Addition). NBC Universal has sunk a large amount of money into KNTV, and they also recently moved the CNBC bureau into the KNTV plant in order to eliminate the cost of rent on CNBC's former bureau in Palo Alto. Plus, there's a whole demographic now that never knew Leno or Law & Order were ever on KRON.

If NBCU were to continue to shed off stations, I'd look for KNSD to be next.

Would NBC be willing to give LIN all of KXAS and KNSD, or would they sell their entire stake in it to another company or a private firm? I know LIN has lost money, along with with most major broadcast companies...

Posted in a thread at another site:

post newsweek stations is buying NBC6 and doing away with the local news product. The operation will be moved to the new building.Only NBC programing will be on 6. Ed Ansin/Sunbeam will buy the current building in Miramar and move WSVN there. :) you heard it here first.

Wait... Post-Newsweek and Sunbeam already own major stations in Miami. How could they get around the FCC's ownership restrictions?

A company isn't allowed to own two of the top-3 stations in a market (I think that's right?), and WSCV or WLTV have gotta fit the top 3 somewhere. While I find this situation unbelievable, it's definitely possible.

WSVN moving into the old WTVJ building is great for Sunbeam. They'll have HD equipment all ready for them.

Wait... Post-Newsweek and Sunbeam already own major stations in Miami. How could they get around the FCC's ownership restrictions?

Sunbeam would only purchase the physical plant. No FCC regulation on that. It would also solve the land development situation at the station: http://www1.wsvn.com/news/articles/local/MI75390/.

Posted in a thread at another site:

post newsweek stations is buying NBC6 and doing away with the local news product. The operation will be moved to the new building.Only NBC programing will be on 6. Ed Ansin/Sunbeam will buy the current building in Miramar and move WSVN there. :) you heard it here first.

Was this the website you're talking about?

I certainly don't believe it. Isn't WPLG #1 in newscast on all timeslots?

WRC is one of those "old" #1s that are starting to fade... once Jim and Doreen are gone, they'll be down the crapper. WJLA is slowly approaching.

Also WRC in recent years has begun to experience increased competition too. That being Hagerstown, MD's NBC 25 ( WHAG ). Not only is NBC 25 available on both Dish Network and Direct TV in ALL of the Washington DC market but their ratings have really improved in Frederick County, MD, one of the fastest growing counties in the DC region. Actually NBC 25 now considers themselves a "Frederick" TV station.

Actually the whole Washington DMA has a lot of competiton now. Not only are there two NBC affilates inside that DMA but two ABC affiliates as well ( WJLA and Winchester, VA's TV3Winchester ) plus on top of that I heard a few months back that Fredericksburg's WFLS radio is considering launching a 24/7 cable television news channel for the fast growing Spotsylvania County area. Then you have newschannel8 and in many parts of the DC DMA, many cable systems still offer Baltimore and Richmond channels too.

There is a LOT of competiton when it comes to news in that DMA.

Archived