ABC 7 Sweeps up in May, and get ready for more News.

Well according to the Tribune, WLS is claiming victory (as usual) at the end of May sweeps. With WMAQ coming in second, and WBBM in third.

But, the two big stories coming out of the end of the may book in the Chicago Market are WFLD expanding their morning news offerings, and WGN maybe getting ready to enter the evening news race.

Beginning sometime this summer, FOX-owned WFLD will expand "Good Day Chicago" into the 9AM Hour, displacing "The Morning Show with Mike and Juliet." WFLD President Pat Mullen told the Chicago Tribune: "If we're not there in multiple dayparts, I think the station becomes less relevant to viewers over time. So to be more relevant, we're going to go to more time periods, and I hope this is just the first step to what could be further expansion down the road."

I wonder what this will mean for WFLD's overall ratings in the Morning.

The other item of interest is coming out of Tribune-owned WGN. Sources tell me WGN is "seriously" looking into expanding their news programming into early evenings. Which in my opinion, could really shake things up ratings wise.

I bet that former WFLD anchor Mark Suppelsa will wind up at WGN. The rumors are growing that Suppelsa is supposed to make an announcement on his future employment sometime in June. Maybe the WGN news at 6 or 7?

If WGN tried something in the 5:30 slot, will that put a serious damper on the local ratings for the national newscasts? I know my house would personally be tuned to WGN's news instead of World News as it often is during that timeslot.

I also which WGN would build up their weekend offerings a little bit. Speaking of WGN on the weekends, what year did they dump their Saturday morning news?

WGN could try doing a 5:30 local news and a national/world newscast done by local anchors at 6 (a newscast similar to what KHON does [Hawaii's World Report] and WJXT used to do [Eyewitness World News])... this way, people coming home can watch their local news at 5:30 and get national news at 6.

Here's the Full Article

I also which WGN would build up their weekend offerings a little bit. Speaking of WGN on the weekends, what year did they dump their Saturday morning news?

I remember when they had an hourly Saturday Morning Newscast. This happened in coincide with their new weekday morning newscast from 6-9am, replacing Bozo (to Sunday Mornings) and other childrens programming. I'm thinking they had it for about a year and ended around a time the WB started (someone can correct me if I'm wrong). I didn't remember the anchor of the Saturday Morning show at that time but it was the first time I'd seen Susan Carlson. I thought that it was kind of stupid to have a traffic reporter on a Saturday Morning show and there's hardly any traffic during the weekends.

I doubt that they would offer more news during the weekend other than their 9pm shows, highly enough because they carry many sporting games, and it's saturated with Children shows on the weekend mornings and movies during the rest of time (when sports aren't aired).

It would be nice to see WGN News having an hourly evening show at 5pm. This might scare some of the other stations in the future rating books. Because, it looks like WFLD may not give up their long-time syndicated Simpsons at 5pm & 6pm and TMZ at 5:30pm. I wouldn't rule out that they would have an evening show in the future but it seems like they don't want to touch those timeframes right now. The one thing that I don't like about WFLD because since they debut their Weeknight 10pm show, they did drop their Saturday hourly 5pm show. To me, they should've kept it. But if WGN do consider having an early-evening newscast, what will it happen for some of the syndicated reruns. I know WCIU would be very hungry for some of their syndie left-overs.

As for FOX 32 pulling a Good Day LA by adding an extra hour of Good Day Chicago, that's nothing but like a waste of time, especially since Oprah has always been a powerhouse at 9am over Regis & Kelly. And Mike & Juliet will be in a very tough timeslot since Price & The View is very high in the ratings at 10am.

Here's the Full Article

I remember when they had an hourly Saturday Morning Newscast. This happened in coincide with their new weekday morning newscast from 6-9am, replacing Bozo (to Sunday Mornings) and other childrens programming. I'm thinking they had it for about a year and ended around a time the WB started (someone can correct me if I'm wrong). I didn't remember the anchor of the Saturday Morning show at that time but it was the first time I'd seen Susan Carlson. I thought that it was kind of stupid to have a traffic reporter on a Saturday Morning show and there's hardly any traffic during the weekends.

I am pretty sure the team consisted of Sonja Gantt (now at WCNC in Charlotte) and Alan Sealls now at WKRG in Mobile-Pensacola. I vaguely remember the news open was similar to the noon show with a morning cut of their music package at the time.

I am pretty sure the team consisted of Sonja Gantt (now at WCNC in Charlotte) and Alan Sealls now at WKRG in Mobile-Pensacola. I vaguely remember the news open was similar to the noon show with a morning cut of their music package at the time.

You know what, that's what I first thought. Charlotte-native Sonja Gantt, but I really thought that she was one of the reporters or one of the anchors of the weekday morning show. She was here for just a a few years before moving to WCNC 36 (where she is now). I didn't really know Alan Sealls.

I believe the music was a morning cut from John Hegner's Chicago's Very Own package.

You know what, that's what I first thought. Charlotte-native Sonja Gantt, but I really thought that she was one of the reporters or one of the anchors of the weekday morning show. She was here for just a a few years before moving to WCNC 36 (where she is now). I didn't really know Alan Sealls.

I believe the music was a morning cut from John Hegner's Chicago's Very Own package.

What was unusual about the weekend morning news was that it was WGN's first entry into morning news. They didn't have weekday morning news until a few years later I believe.

I thought WGN Saturday Morning news was after they already had Weekday morning news. It was when they were the WB. Sonja Gant was on during the weekday mornings before leaving and Roseanne getting the job. I wanna say Roseanne was on during the weekends.

I thought WGN Saturday Morning news was after they already had Weekday morning news. It was when they were the WB. Sonja Gant was on during the weekday mornings before leaving and Roseanne getting the job. I wanna say Roseanne was on during the weekends.

The weekday and Saturday morning newscasts definitely coexisted at the time that the Saturday morning news came to an end. I can't speak to the early days of the Saturday morning news, though.

The weekday and Saturday morning newscasts definitely coexisted at the time that the Saturday morning news came to an end. I can't speak to the early days of the Saturday morning news' date=' though.[/quote']

I remember the Saturday morning news being on before the WB network even existed. I'm talking late 80's - early 90's. This was at the time they used the 9 as the logo (before the introduction of the swoopy WGN "g" logo).

I remember the Saturday morning news being on before the WB network even existed. I'm talking late 80's - early 90's. This was at the time they used the 9 as the logo (before the introduction of the swoopy WGN "g" logo).

I remembered when they had that 9 with the sphere lines on the circle of the 9 before they had that "big swirl" 9 logo. I never remembered seeing the Saturday Morning news in the late 80s because they didn't have a weekday morning show at that time. I'm thinking around 1993-1994. It was relatively short-lived.

Dina Bair anchored the WGN Weekend Morning News from 1994-1999. Randy Salerno may have co-anchored those newscasts with Dina prior to moving to WGN News @ Noon, but don't hold me to that. I beileve that both Ed Curran and Jim Ramsey did weather doing that 5-year period, but again, I'm not certain.

Whatever WGN does in regards to adding a late afternoon/early evening newscast, WFLD will, without question, add one too. The additional hour to GDC seems unnecessary, but I guess they can do what they want. I would assume they're planning on hiring a sports guy/gal to help fill what will be 5 hours of news, weather, traffic, etc.... or expanding even more Patrick's and Nancy's roles. There was talk about them (WFLD) expanding the newsroom and adding an additional studio. I wonder if those plans are still in the works.

If WGN tried something in the 5:30 slot, will that put a serious damper on the local ratings for the national newscasts? I know my house would personally be tuned to WGN's news instead of World News as it often is during that timeslot.

I agree that Chicago needs a LOCAL newscast at 5:30. I wish ABC 7 didn't have to air World News with Charles Gibson because I don't like any of the national network newscasts and always flip the channel at 5:30 to watch something else and then usually tune in for the local news at 6:00.

Got to give the changes a WBBM more than a couple of months. Viewer habits change over months, not weeks. I'm not expecting 2 to suddenly surge to 2nd place, but most of the changes just happened back in March.

As for WGN expanding, 5:30 might be a good time.

Let's face it. WLS is unbeatable. WBBM, WMAQ, and WFLD will have to fight it out for 2nd place. The changes at WBBM need some time before actual changes will happen. Granted, the changes were drastic, but, who knows? This could actually work for them.

Archived