NBC Set to Announce Purchase of The Weather Channel

WXmanTim

• 4 weeks later...

Apperently it's offical now:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB121537099493330671.html?mod=googlenews_wsj

Apperently according to this article the weather channel will remain as is???

"In a statement, the acquiring team said NBC Universal would manage the Weather Channel, but it would continue as a separate entity based in Atlanta"

But we'll see what happens, I dont watch eaither, our nbc station doesnt brand their weather as weather plus, yet.

Its Offical

the AP reports that TWC has ben Sold to NBC

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5hpByrBholMLvtfRo-ViXaKlSJyGwD91OID889

"NBC and Landmark said in a statement that The Weather Channel would be operated as a separate entity out of its base in Atlanta."

Yep so the Peacock or any other re-branding ideas can be tossed down the drain. I'm really glad they are keeping everything the same.

IF GE and NBCUni continue their "cost-cutting measures" they can't surely keep both TWC and WeatherPlus. I'd expect staff cuts from both initially then a merging of both channels into one.

Is it just me...

Or does NBC Uni even partially financing a $3.5B purchase at a time when the O&Os are slashing big and there are rumors that the company will only hold on to O&Os in NY, LA, and Chicago....not perfect math?

I'm just saying.

Otherwise, don't necessarily believe the "nothing's going to change" stuff. I would expect Weather Plus to fold shortly after the deal is done. If the network is doing as poorly as we want them to believe it is, a real solution could be folding the local weather departments and running everything out of TWC. That could be an issue for breaking weather, but I dunno if I'd leave it out of the realm of possibility for NBC.

-T

Because then FOX will turn TWC against global warming and allow Bill O'Reilly to commentate on hurricanes, rite?

I have to defend Tyler on this one. No matter how extreme it sounds. But Fox News weather department is called the FOX Extreme Weather Center. I don't know but it sounds like if Fox gets a hold of the Weather Channel. They would hype the most insignificant shower and make it sound like Armageddon.

As far as NBCU getting a hold of it. I imagine some sort of changes will take place as far as programming and staffing will take place. I also imagine that they will incorporate TWC into Weather Plus which is currently a sub-par product.

I have to defend Tyler on this one. No matter how extreme it sounds. But Fox News weather department is called the FOX Extreme Weather Center. I don't know but it sounds like if Fox gets a hold of the Weather Channel. They would hype the most insignificant shower and make it sound like Armageddon.

Eh... it's not like it would be any worse than Dr. Anna Marie.

Eh... it's not like it would be any worse than Dr. Anna Marie.

LOL!

IF GE and NBCUni continue their "cost-cutting measures" they can't surely keep both TWC and WeatherPlus. I'd expect staff cuts from both initially then a merging of both channels into one.

That' can't happen. Under the terms of the agreement, TWC must be run as a separate entity, therefore, no merger with WeatherPlus is possible.

As far as Weatherscan goes, the details didn't really dive into that one. It may be gone for all we know, or simply rebranded (NBC Weatherscan, NBCWeatherscan+, etc). Though it's still better than WeatherPlus IMO, as far as localization and content goes.

Archived