NBCU buys Weather Channel, WCBS effects?

IceManNYR

A question from one of the blogs now that NBCU is buying The Weather Channel,

What becomes of The Weather Channel branding at non-NBC entities? WCBS in New York as an agreement with the network and pitches its forecasts as coming from "CBS2 and The Weather Channel."

What becomes of The Weather Channel branding at non-NBC entities? WCBS in New York as an agreement with the network and pitches its forecasts as coming from "CBS2 and The Weather Channel."

Well, with NBC buying TWC, they will most likely just break off the agreement. WCBS will probably just take The Weather Channel logo off of their graphics and promos and will stop saying "CBS 2 and The Weather Channel" when giving the forecast. I don't think it will be a big deal, but it is a major blow to WCBS, since WABC has Accu-Weather and WNBC has Weather Plus, and now The Weather Channel.

So you read TVNewser, too?

The Weather Channel has been doing a segment on Evening Edition where they check in with WCBS for the NYC area forecast.

I wonder if those have stopped with WCBS and will start again with WNBC?

The Weather Channel logo has been taken off the wall of the weather center and replaced with a "CBS 2 HD" logo, however, The Weather Channel logo hasn't been taken off of the 7 day forecast graphic yet.

They have taken it off during the 11pm broadcast's of the 7 day outlook.

Since when did NBC Universal start having The Weather Channel and NBC Weather Plus?! I hope all NBC affiliates (including NBC O&Os) stick with NBCWX and not TWC.

Let TWC be under the NBC Universal Cable banner for pete's sake.

I think branding will be very close normal though, so there won't be any peacocks at The Weather Channel or anything like that... But WCBS will definitely eventually loose The Weather Channel affiliation and perks and such...

But WCBS will definitely eventually loose The Weather Channel affiliation and perks and such...

Same with every other station that has a deal. KTVT has removed all their TWC stuff.

I could see that, actually. Instead of Weather Plus meteorologists doing the national forecasts, Weather Channel employees could record them. These channels still would have the local inserts, crawling news, and local 5 day forecasts--they already have the computers, why not just keep using them?

Has anyone heard of a rumor that NBC *might* ditch local weather talent and have all the local weather operations of the NBC O&O's in one location. A few months ago, KNSD did not have a weather anchor available to do forecasts for the weekend morning newscasts, so instead of doing recorded weather segments from the night before, they used a meteorologist from Weather Plus, and she did a local weather forecast out of the Weather Plus Headquarters. I thought it was kind of stupid because, this woman did not know San Diego, and she could barely pronounce some of the communities in our area (they only used her for like two weeks). Now, it seems like a possibility because it would save NBC some money, and we all know that NBC always seems to be a the forefront when it comes to messing things up.

Has anyone heard of a rumor that NBC *might* ditch local weather talent and have all the local weather operations of the NBC O&O's in one location. A few months ago' date=' KNSD did not have a weather anchor available to do forecasts for the weekend morning newscasts, so instead of doing recorded weather segments from the night before, they used a meteorologist from Weather Plus, and she did a local weather forecast out of the Weather Plus Headquarters. I thought it was kind of stupid because, this woman did not know San Diego, and she could barely pronounce some of the communities in our area (they only used her for like two weeks). Now, it seems like a possibility because it would save NBC some money, and we all know that NBC always seems to be a the forefront when it comes to messing things up.[/quote']

NBC would just ditch (sell off) all their O&O's (except their top 3 markets) before they would do that. They are also smart enough to know that the remaining 3 (NY, LA, and Chicago) would have to retain meteorologists because losing an actual local weather person would hurt the station too much.

What KNSD did a few months ago was just a service offered by NBC WeatherPlus to the O&O and NBC affiliates. It's usually used on weekend mornings when no other meteorologist can be called in. It's a very rare occurance.

-------------------------

As for The Weather Channel branding, it'll most likely remain the same. The 2 possibilities I've heard both have the square Weather Channel logo pretty much remaining the same. One possibility has a NBC peacock logo next to the word "The" in the logo with no other changes to "The Weather Channel" name and logo. The other possibility is replacing the word "The" in the logo with "NBC" changing the name of the network to "NBC Weather Channel".

Oh, I see what your saying. I was thinking if they kept duplicate staff, it would be redundant. If they used Weather Channel staff, it would make sense.

As it stands, The Weather Channel has the Weatherscan service; if anything, I think it could be merged into Weather Plus since both services take after each other so much (L-bar style local forecasts). The difference is that NBC uses national meteorologists combined with local content on Weather Plus where Weatherscan uses all computer-generated local forecasts. The two services are similar enough that a merger between the two wouldn't surprise me.

Archived