FOX 29 to start 11PM Newscast?

ProButtonPusher

http://www.philly.com/inquirer/columnists/20080724_Inqlings__Fox_preps_for_11_p_m__newscast.html

Interesting. They may be able to start out the gate with a head start now that CBS 3 has had all that trouble...

I wouldn't get shocked if they would start their 11pm Show immediately. Many FOX stations are doing it anyway.

They kind of are.

Eagles specials begin on Monday. Two weeks are scheduled which will bring them up nicely to the 11th.

I think it's surprising they're starting this soon (I expected fall) but we all knew this was coming sooner or later.

I also should note quickly that everyone who thinks that Fox 29 is going to race out of the gate with this, ratings wise, is delusional. It takes years to change viewing habits, especially in this town. The ratings increases seen by 3, and previously 10 were the result of YEARS of building up the product, not sudden launches or changes.

29 is taking the long-road approach. They've been testing the waters which I think is a very smart move.

I also should note quickly that everyone who thinks that Fox 29 is going to race out of the gate with this, ratings wise, is delusional. It takes years to change viewing habits, especially in this town. The ratings increases seen by 3, and previously 10 were the result of YEARS of building up the product, not sudden launches or changes.

29 is taking the long-road approach. They've been testing the waters which I think is a very smart move.

I think a majority of markets are like that. KTVI started a 10 PM newscast and even though it is far behind KMOV and KSDK, it is quickly gaining ground. If WTXF puts out a good product. It could quickly catch up to 3,6, and 10 in a small amount of time.

I don't know what can be gained by switching to 11pm when all the other top 3 networks have been at that slot for decades. Just stay at the 10pm slot and continue finding ways to get new viewers. Moving to 11pm would be stupid

Do you not pay attention? They aren't switching timeslots, they are adding a newscast at 11.

Do you not pay attention? They aren't switching timeslots, they are adding a newscast at 11.

Well that's even more stupid. They are doing that so they can talk about the same things they talk from 10pm to 11pm? And Please don't tell me that it's going to be from 11pm to 12am because I would be OUT DONE.

Why is it dumb to have an hour and a half of local news straight? Most of the other stations do it earlier in the evening from 5pm-6:30pm, and NBC 10 does it from 4pm-6:30pm. They also do it in the morning from 5-7am (Fox 29 from 5-9am). Do you see repeats during those times? Sure you do, but there are a lot of fresh new stories too. Anyway, judging from the way other FOX stations that already have a 10pm news show and have added an 11pm, the 11pm will only be a half hour and will be a lot more fast paced (get to the point, not much in-depth), under the "NewsEdge" theme.

Why is it dumb to have an hour and a half of local news straight? Most of the other stations do it earlier in the evening from 5pm-6:30pm, and NBC 10 does it from 4pm-6:30pm. They also do it in the morning from 5-7am (Fox 29 from 5-9am). Do you see repeats during those times? Sure you do, but there are a lot of fresh new stories too. Anyway, judging from the way other FOX stations that already have a 10pm news show and have added an 11pm, the 11pm will only be a half hour and will be a lot more fast paced (get to the point, not much in-depth), under the "NewsEdge" theme.

I just think should stay away from 11pm. Maybe 11am to 12:30pm

I just think should stay away from 11pm. Maybe 11am to 12:30pm

For claming to be a news "analyzer" via your SN you sure don't understand a shitload about news. On the subject though seeing as they have the 10pm I would guess people watching at 10pm would stay to watch the 11pm show. I normally watch WGN at 9 here in Chicago and then flip to five but I know if WGN was doing a 10pm I would be sticking with them. I think having the 11pm is good because people that want more news won't switch to 6 or 10 and just stick with Fox.

According to The Philadelphia Inquirer, some of the names tossed around are "The Final Word" and "The Last Word." Kerri-Lee Halkett has been tapped to anchor, and John Bolaris will do weather. Some FOX stations are starting up 11 pm newscasts because Jay Leno could possibly move to FOX after he leaves The Tonight Show. We'll have to wait and see what happens.

• 3 weeks later...

If it's political, people should be interested and watch it. But, can it stand up to the other newscasts? Still, this is a good alternative. I do think they could do something like "NewsEdge" that the other FOX O&O's do.

Looks like another test run instead of a de facto newscast.

I'm all for the test runs - it's smarter than launching into direct competition with the big three - but at what point do you say "enough with the testing, just go and launch it already"?

Archived