Election graphics

FoxFan

I just wanted to ask you all, what you think of this years election graphics for the networks, and which one you like best.

I personally think CBS News' are quite nice, followed by NBC News (even though it's a bad, bad network)

I'd probably rank NBC as the best election graphics. ABC a close second. CBS, as usual, is kinda meh and Fox, as usual, is all over the place.

CNN's graphics look professionally done. But I absolutely cannot stand their styling this year. It's the most important single news story of the year... so I really wouldn't use graphics that look like they came straight from the movie "Juno" or one of those other teenage romantic comedies.

Here's how I'm grading this year's election...

NBC - Magnificant! Loved the virtual set. I also loved the Rockefeller Center decorations. I also liked how they took the Sunday Night Football set and converted it lol. However, watching NBC in HD was less than satisfactory. NBC News did NOT follow the TV safe guidelines, so most of the extra stuff in the HD wings was cut off and not readable. Grade: B (Had they followed guidelines, it would have been an A+.)

CBS - Bland, but I liked their HD wing extras better, and they were kind of within the safe guidelines, however, still bland. Grade: C

ABC - Loved the set! The graphics were simple, yet fitting for ABC. I enjoyed watching them in HD. Grade: B

FOX - AMAZING SETS!! Very eye catching in HD! The graphics were simple, and at times hard to follow. Overall, this was the station I watched the most, along with NBC. Grade: A

Keep in mind, I was watching all of these at one time. I had several HDTVs linked together in my "election headquarters". It was awesome!

Congrats to Barack Obama, John McCain, and the rest of the candidates on one hell of a race!

Not sure if this has been posted elsewhere, but here's a neat _Wired_ article about how it all works behind the scenes:

http://blog.wired.com/gadgets/2008/11/election-day-tv.html

I love some of the comments on there. If people only knew how relatively inexpensive and hacked together the technology really was for that... and that the rest of the world's been doing stuff like CNN was pulling last night for oh, about ten years now....

I liked ABC's simplicity in their graphics. It was very easy to understand. I didn't even flip the channel, I stayed on ABC 7 and ABC News for the entire election night.

ABC News looked very European with their set and graphics. Btw... I think NBC's Decision 2004 and 2006 graphics looked awesome too.

[yt]NWzBUsRNHHs[/yt]

I kept flipping back to CNN's coverage. But out of the 4 major networks, I liked ABC's the best. Their graphics were simple and effective.

NBC and CBS both had good graphics, but with a 19" LCD it was really difficult to read the stuff on the HD sidebars unless you were right in front of the darn set. It distracted me after a while.

What disturbs me is that when Gibson projects Obama wins the Presidency, you hear someone in the studio clapping, just 3 times, but it's clapping.

That bothered me, too...for those of you who didn't see it and wants to, here's the link to it on YouTube (about 10 seconds into the clip)

Archived