NBC News and The Weather Channel

btbrtq3

Is it just me, or has NBC been talking about The Weather Channel a lot more than their own little Weather Plus. On the Today Show this morning, Chris Cimino said, "For more weather info at any time, go to The Weather Channel/Weather.com". I know the NBC O&O's use Weather Plus on their websites, but it looks to me like some sort of partnership-thing is going on and Weather + is fading.

Thoughts?

Shoot- Stupid me. I kind of forgot about that (the buyout), but the angle they're taking on this surprised me I guess.

It is, but they do own them so I don't see why not... Pretty soon we'll see The Weather Channel meteorologists report and replace the WNBC Weather Plus.

WCAU was probably the one O&O that never really hopped aboard the Weather Plus bandwagon - they kept their EarthWatch branding and never integrated it into their set and on-air graphics. The only time they'd mention Weather Plus would be a brief "Check out WeatherPlus on Comcast 248" at the end of most forecasts.

I haven't seen Weather Channel plugs there yet, either - but when the new set debuts before the end of the decade I wouldn't be surprised to see their logos on set...

• 3 weeks later...

WRC has yet to get rid of all WeatherPlus branding, but they have asked the audience to pick a new set of graphics (for the four day forecast). The prototypes all still use WeatherPlus graphics, but I assume when they roll out the new winning graphics, they'll have a new branding as well.

My guess at branding would be StormCenter 4.

When WKYC took on the new Gannett branding last month they removed the WKYC WeatherPlus logo from their weather graphics. We'll just have to see what they do to their weather set - they have "WeatherPlus" over it.

I wouldn't be surprised if they launch their own independent weather station (in place of Wx+), to stay competitive with WOIO's weather channel.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I have a question, when will the weather + channel actually seese to exist? And what becomes of that digital channel?

WeatherCentral, the weather graphics system provider for NBC Weather Plus has introduced a new idea, called 24/7 Weather. Since WXC was the company who supplied the "L" bars and the weather icons, they have created several new styles. The National weather spots have been swaped with local spots (commercial, updates...etc)

WeatherCentral, the weather graphics system provider for NBC Weather Plus has introduced a new idea, called 24/7 Weather. Since WXC was the company who supplied the "L" bars and the weather icons, they have created several new styles. The National weather spots have been swaped with local spots (commercial, updates...etc)

Actually I tuned to our nbc's weather plus station, now that I'm home and could watch it, and they are calling it 'NC 13 now!' (NewsChannel 13 Now!)

But its EXACTLY like weatherplus, what a waste. But I mean I don't a) watch it like ever or :( no that people even know it exists, I mean digital channels aren't really that popular. But I've stopped watching NewsChannel 13, but thats another post for another thread....lol

• 2 weeks later...

WDSU has partnered up with Accuweather and has transformed their WeatherPLUS channel into a news, traffic and weather channel, called "6 WeatherPLUS News and Traffic". They still use the WeatherPLUS branding, though they aren't using WeatherPLUS' national graphics and radars. None of the footage seen is live.

Archived