Fox Stations Expand Morning News to Saturdays?

bostonmediaguy

With the 4Kids programming contract ending next month, Fox has announced that the 8am-10am time will be returned to affiliates, while 10am-12pm will be network-wide infomercials (http://www.cynopsis.com/content/view/4013/53/ -- scroll to "More Kids Stuff").

Might some local Fox stations program local news in the newly available time-period?

MyNetworkTV affil, WPWR 50 airs the 4KidsTV block while FOX 32 airs programs that have E/I content on Saturdays. 4Kids Entertainment already has a saturday morning block for the CW affiliates. If some stations (and that's the affils that don't have it yet) plan for a Saturday Morning newscast, that could be a big gamble.

EDIT: Here's a bit more detail article about the matter from yesterday's Variety.

WHBQ had a habit of splitting up Fox Kids/4K!dsTV programming as well, airing the first two hours from 5-7AM, syndicated E/I programming from 7-9AM, and the remaining two hours of the block from 9-11AM, though I doubt they'll start a Saturday Morning edition of Good Morning Memphis to run in its place.

when XETV was a FOX Affiliate, they already have a weekend morning show from 7 to 9 and now that they are CW, they still run its morning news on the weekends. With KSWB now the FOX Affiliate, maybe they will launch a Morning News show since they only do Morning News Monday thru Friday.

Why doesn't FOX and the other networks just go back to airing great kids shows and cartoons like they did years ago?

What kind of choice do kids have if they turn on the TV on sat mornings to watch some boring show that has the stupid E/I logo or "bug" on it?

What do kids learn from these boring shows anyways? They probably watch Nickelodeon(Sponge Bob) or Cartoon Network( Anime) or start playing video games.

In the 70s, 80s(Well some cartoons were corny but..) , and even 90s(anamaniacs) the networks aired some really cool cartoons. Scooby Doo offered a mystery and a challenge. Garfield was very funny in the 80s. The 90s gave us programs like The Tick, XMen and Beetlejuice. All very funny and enjoyable.

Kids have enough homework to do during the school week. Give them a break. This madated e/i programming is all because of the stupid government's regulation.

What the FCC should do is focus on breaking up the media conglomerates that control most of our programming and bring back real competition.

WBRC was one of the few FOX O&Os that didn't ever air Fox Kids or 4Kids TV during its entire network-ownership run. It has debuted a Saturday morning news back in the mid-90s from 7-8:30AM (originally 7-9AM) and has continue it to present day, so it doesn't affect their programming at all.

Archived