New CNN Graphics

Geoffrey

I'm watching right now and they have this curved red animation behind the "breaking news" lower-third... so much for less clutter.

I just caught that on AC and it seems like CNN pretty much grabbed their graphics rulebook out of the garbage and is trying to re-implement things. To be honest, I like the new look, though I think it'd be best without the black box around the logo when the LIVE bug isn't there, or show/store gfx.

On the anti-front, the main thing I have an issue with is that it implements little to no transparency. While going simple is nice, it seems too rough to be honest, some transparency over blanket black would be a nice modification. There has to be a medium, but I have to say that the death of the crawl will probably be one of the best things to happen to cable in a long time, if the other networks follow suit. (news doesn't need it, CNBC does though, I think)

I didn't notice this the other day but the voiceover for a Nancy Grace promo twice mentions "HLN" instead of "Headline News." The logo at the end has the words "NEWS AND VIEWS" underneath the HLN logo. The same words now appear next to the HNL logo in the bug. (It had said "HEADLINE NEWS" for the last two days.)

Robin Meade has also just said "HLN" a few times now. It's like they just re-branded the channel again two days after they came out with new logo.

Reminds me of when the Game Show Network wanted people to forget that they aired game shows and rebranded as "GSN: The Network for Games."

I mentioned earlier how CNN mixes SD-quality text/graphics now with the HD-quality logo and stock/time bar below it. The text/graphics now look like upconverted SD during 'The Situation Room' while they are very fuzzy and look like they are from an old VHS tape during 'CNN Newsroom' and other SD programs. The text/graphics were just as fuzzy during 'The Situation Room' before today as they still are on 'CNN Newsroom.' Why can't it be in HD? WJLA and WUSA here (who have HD local news) can show HD graphics over SD video in their newscasts! And let me clarify: I know SD programs only have SD graphics, I'm just talking about the L3s that they do have in HD during HD programs that revert to SD during SD programs.

I mentioned earlier how CNN mixes SD-quality text/graphics now with the HD-quality logo and stock/time bar below it. The text/graphics now look like upconverted SD during 'The Situation Room' while they are very fuzzy and look like they are from an old VHS tape during 'CNN Newsroom' and other SD programs. The text/graphics were just as fuzzy during 'The Situation Room' before today as they still are on 'CNN Newsroom.' Why can't it be in HD? WJLA and WUSA here (who have HD local news) can show HD graphics over SD video in their newscasts! And let me clarify: I know SD programs only have SD graphics, I'm just talking about the L3s that they do have in HD during HD programs that revert to SD during SD programs.

It seems to me that CNN's control rooms in Atlanta and DC are still not in HD. Only the New York one is. That's why only the New York newscasts are in HD, including the graphics.

It seems to me that CNN's control rooms in Atlanta and DC are still not in HD. Only the New York one is. That's why only the New York newscasts are in HD, including the graphics.

I think you are right. I just figured the live time/stock bar and logo bug above it, since it is in HD, means the channel is capable of displaying HD graphics over SD graphics when it comes to things that remain the same design in all programs like L3s. I guess the logo bug/bar in HD is from another control room or something, because the news ticker (before the new graphics package debuted) as well as the CNN-HD logo bug is/was in HD 24/7.

The weird thing is that before the graphics update, the crawl on CNN HD was in HD and spanned the width of a 16:9 HDTV. I'm aware that CNN HD originates from the Time Warner Center and not Atlanta, and they overlayed CNN HD's crawl independently from the one that was on the regular CNN (if you flipped between the two CNNs, the crawls would be displaying different content).

Now, the "flipper" is definitely in standard definition 4:3 during shows that are not produced out of the Time Warner Center. Weird why they decided to make that backwards change...

I really like the new look; it's certainly in line with the latest international TV design trends.

I know this is a coincidence, but it's fitting that CNN is getting a modern, cosmopolitan look just as the U.S. is entering a modern, cosmopolitan political era.

• 3 weeks later...

Headline News -- I mean HLN -- made another tweak this morning. The HLN logo is now on the left side of the screen, while the time/stock and "Morning Express" bug remains on the right. Aside from it looking strange having two bugs on opposite sides of the screen, I think it just looks cluttered and the lower-third graphics no longer look as clean as they used to.

Interestingly, the phrase "News and Views" is not seen on the screen anymore.

The change simply doesn't work though, I mean, every time I turn to HLN I can see a couple pixels of the logo inching over the background of the spot it's at, which just makes it look plain unprofessional. Keep the logo in the bottom right and all will be good with the world again

Archived