Roz Abrams returning to Channel 7

wabceyewitness

....briefly, that is. According to today's New York Daily News, Roz Abrams will appear on Monday's edition of ABC's "Good Morning America", which airs locally on WABC/Ch. 7. It's part of an on-going series in which the GMA anchors reflect on moments in their life. Roz will be there as Sam Champion, her former co-worker and longtime friend at Ch. 7, talks about his start on "Eyewitness News".

....briefly, that is. According to today's New York Daily News, Roz Abrams will appear on Monday's edition of ABC's "Good Morning America", which airs locally on WABC/Ch. 7. It's part of an on-going series in which the GMA anchors reflect on moments in their life. Roz will be there as Sam Champion, her former co-worker and longtime friend at Ch. 7, talks about his start on "Eyewitness News".

Good for her! She deserves something other than a forced retirement. The way CBS 2 took her off the air like that was disgraceful. I hope she lands another job again soon. She was way too popular in New York not to.

I can't wait to see Roz back on Tv....Imagine if she makes an announcement that she's comming back to local tv on GMA...ahhhh one can dream hunh!?

I know, I can't wait to see her as well! That would be so great if she made an announcement that she is coming back to TV! She was one of my favorite news anchors. One can only dream! B)

Roz is a legendary NY anchor.

But, i'm pretty content with Ch 7's lineup right now.

I'm not crazy about Ken Rosato, but him and Lori make a good team.

Diana and Sade at 5 is perfect, I think Sade was a great replacement for Roz.

And Bill and Liz at 6 &11, best in ny IMO.

Roz is a legendary NY anchor.

But, i'm pretty content with Ch 7's lineup right now.

I'm not crazy about Ken Rosato, but him and Lori make a good team.

Diana and Sade at 5 is perfect, I think Sade was a great replacement for Roz.

And Bill and Liz at 6 &11, best in ny IMO.

I agree that Ken and Lori are great together... alone or with another another anchor, Ken isn't as great.

As for 5pm, I always thought that Lori would have made the best replacement for Roz. I really think Diana and Lori together at 5pm make a great team and it shows whenever Lori fills in at 5pm. Having Lori do that newscast would, of course, have repercussions with the morning news as she would likely not want a 13-14 hour workday.

Another good choice for 5pm would have been Michelle Charlesworth. If David Ushery had stayed a few months longer at Ch. 7, he would have had a good shot at being the 5pm co-anchor. He and Diana were superb together the times he filled in at 5pm.

Sade is OK, in my opinion. She is definitely not the best choice at 5pm and certainly does not do much for the newscast when she fills in at 11pm. In my opinion, she should have been given a weekend position and allowed to grow from there.

And yes, Bill & Liz at 6 & 11pm are hands down the best.

Now back to Roz --- that would be just amazing if ABC can find a spot for her somewhere at Channel 7.

Well, Oprah is leaving in 2 years supposedly. Maybe they can give her a talk show. She definitely has the personality to pull it off.

Yeah I wouldn't see why not, although she is older than Oprah, at 59, she might even just retire too... But I bet she regrets leaving WABC now, because she could have still been on the air, because I really can't see WABC removing or hiring any new anchors now. Their news teams are solid and there really is nothing wrong with any of them. They are all fit for their positions and are right on the money with their talent.

So How did Roz do on GMA?

It was a brief appearance, but it was nice to see her. The story was about how the year 1988 changed Sam Champion's life (that was the year he was hired at WABC). She talked about how his subtle accent was music to her ears and how grandmothers would write to her at the station asking for Roz to hook their granddaughters up with Sam!

Never liked WABC's newscasts, and in particular, never liked Roz Abrams. But I must say that her longevity in this business, and in this market in particular, is a testament to her skills as an anchor. As for myself, I would take Sue Simmons, Michele Marsh or Carol Martin over her any day. But a lot of people like her and the way she was treated by WCBS-TV is a travesty.

I think one of those WABC promos used to be "Step right up and say, Hello Roz!"

Plus the GMA segment showed Sam being followed by the Weather Mascot type Icons. :)

"You see Roz Abrams smile,

that warm and friendly smile,

you step right up and say:

Hi Roz, we watch you every day!"

Archived