NY Nonstop launch "imminent"

DMA

They need to make this channel true 16:9 not 16:9 video letterboxed in a 4:3 video frame.

If you try to watch it on a 16:9 TV or computer screen you can't get the black bars off the top and bottom of the screen.

I wonder if this you never know what will be on when format will work?

I'd rather they use a wheel format so you knew what segments are on when.

I like it, but I do think it won't be popular with the suburban audience. It's nyctv with ADD. Regarding 16:9, I just crop it, it's not like it's cutting any of the image out, but the PQ looks crap then. I doubt that there is bandwidth to do true 16:9, it would only be (barely) feasible if they dropped 4.4.

They need to make this channel true 16:9 not 16:9 video letterboxed in a 4:3 video frame.

If you try to watch it on a 16:9 TV or computer screen you can't get the black bars off the top and bottom of the screen.

I wonder if this you never know what will be on when format will work?

I'd rather they use a wheel format so you knew what segments are on when.

Digital subchannels are damned near impossible to broadcast in a 16:9/HD format due to the pure fact of the bandwidth issues that it takes to put a subchannel on the air in the first place.

Depends on what kind of equipment they have. The NBC O&O Sharecast hub at 30 rock (which handles master control for WNBC, WCAU and WVIT) is pretty limited to what it can do as it is. I mean right now it can't broadcast any recorded syndicated programming in HD due to the age of the equipment (I believe the hub was built back in '02). If you ask me, I think you're lucky you're not getting a plain ol' 4:3 center cut.

Well, there's been a bit of a format change-nearly no lifestyle reports anymore. The first 15 minutes of a half hour cycle are headlines, then an in-depth introduction to a News 4 report by the reporter, then a light 5pm story. The second fifteen minutes are brief headlines, a 5 minute in depth analysis by a reporter of the day's top story, business news, then a light story. It's not formal, but certainly not fluffy. I guess a bit conversational is what it is, but the content is 10000x better than what we had a few days ago.

• 2 months later...

Honestly, the channel is junk. It's geared towards such a small niche audience that it cannot be a money-maker. Poor Chuck has his baby on for an hour and he's presenting it to nobody.

And why-on-earth would WNBC create a channel that takes viewers away from their primary channel. It's not like a weather channel where people are going to watch for 5 minutes, NYNS is a channel that will keep people tuned in for 15 minutes or more. Senseless and not really thought out well...in my opinion.

Too many other alternatives and this does not stand out.

Archived