NY Nonstop launch "imminent"

DMA

from a message in my youtube inbox via, WNBC4NY:

"New York Nonstops signature program will air each night at 7 pm in an expanded one-

hour version of New York Nightly News anchored by Chuck Scarborough. The new

format expands Scarboroughs role at WNBC and will break away from established

newscast formulas and feature in-depth and in-studio interviews with newsmakers. More

time and flexibility will allow for livelier dialogue and debate, and perhaps a little

controversy."

BTW, it launchs this monday the 9th

you can find more out about this news channel here http://www.nbcnewyork.com/station/tv_channels/NY_Nonstop.html

it does look MORE LIFESTYLE THAN NEWS.

it also appears to be getting a new logo:

1905044751_NightlyNews_Banner_A11.jpg.1d6db25d74e3e4a31e4df5e6048fe6c4.jpg

Thats good that there will be news, this is my favorite quote..lol

"It's like having your iPod on shuffle," she said. "You can't wait until the next song because you know something good is going to come, you just don't know what it is."

I don't know why they think they can launch a successful news channel when they have never been able to pull off a successful post-Today Show/Midday newscast like other NBC O&Os. Their 7pm newscast obviously wasn't working for them or they wouldn't have put Extra back at 7pm. It would make more sense to air Access Hollywood at 7pm so it wouldn't be competing against Entertainment Tonight.

I think calling it a news channel is a bit of stretch.

Besides the news updates on the 15's and NY Nightly News at 7pm I'm wondering where the news shows and segments are?

This channel seems like what WNBC's first version of NBC 4.4 was. A repeating cycle of WNBC News segments and shows.

I don't think it's a 4.4 clone, but something more like channel 25, which is a brilliant channel. I have my doubts that NY Nonstop will be as good as nyctv, but it's definately the market that they're aiming for. I'm looking forward to the first hour-long 5pm newscast in 2 years, than to the channel itself.

Yeah the evening line up is much better now that it's going back to this:

5:00 PM 4 NY News @ 5

6:00 PM 4 NY News @ 6

6:30 PM NBC Nightly News

7:00 PM Extra

7:30 PM Access Hollywood

Now they only need to fix 12pm to 1pm.

At 12:30 that goofy game show is gone and now it's either Access Hollywood rebroadcasts or infomercials.

It's launched...the headlines are pretty good, the lifestyle stories are hit or miss, but overall it's not too bad. It's letterboxed.

Headlines:

eyetvsnapshot1069.jpg

Interesting channel... I don't think I could watch it "nonstop" but it's something I could see being on in the background somewhere, like in a waiting room or at the gym.

Some titles (and weather numbers in the 5/7-day) get covered up by the info box thing... they're going to have to fix that.

What's with the constant "shh!" thing they keep doing? It's annoying.

Yeah the graphics layout needs to be fixed since that box covers the right side of the screen.

I had hoped they would be doing live news updates on half hour but at 12:30pm there was no news update.

One other minor complaint. 16:9 HD shows like 1st Look are being shown 4:3 letterboxed in the 16:9 frame so the video now has black bars on all four sides.

I forgot to mention that bottom bar is totally useless.

That's all the stuff of the far right box should be moved to.

If Comcast had a digital channel for WNBC Weather Plus then that channel should have switched to NY Non Stop.

Oh so basically all of the Weather Plus Channels have become this NY Nonstop Channel... Anyone know if iO Digital Cable has it? Or does the Weather Plus channel only exist Over The Air now?

Nothing overly impressive. It is basically NYC TV with some local news flair thrown in. It is not something that tons of people are going to tune into and keep on for an extended period of time. It is not a competitor of NY1. WNBC should've not wasted their time with this idea, should've saved all that money for their new waste of time set/content center, and instead reinvested into the journalists that made WNBC one of the highest journalistsic standards in this market. Now the station is a former shell of itself, filled with technical mistakes that make it almost unwatchable for any newscast they produce.

Now the station is a former shell of itself, filled with technical mistakes that make it almost unwatchable for any newscast they produce.

Speaking of mistakes, did anybody see this on YouTube - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFUNmTqdJqU

It's hard to believe that this many technical mistakes air on the NBC O&O in the number 1 market.

As for NY Nonstop, I think it is a good concept and has some potential, but I don't think NBC should have invested so much money and time into it. After watching NY Nightly News on NY Nonstop tonight, I actually prefer it there as opposed to WNBC. I think it fits better there and I'm glad that WNBC is back to the traditional 5-6:30PM news format.

Speaking of mistakes, did anybody see this on YouTube - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFUNmTqdJqU

It's hard to believe that this many technical mistakes air on the NBC O&O in the number 1 market.

As for NY Nonstop, I think it is a good concept and has some potential, but I don't think NBC should have invested so much money and time into it. After watching NY Nightly News on NY Nonstop tonight, I actually prefer it there as opposed to WNBC. I think it fits better there and I'm glad that WNBC is back to the traditional 5-6:30PM news format.

Thanks for the post. That was pretty hilarious. Especially when Chuck said there wasn't much action in that story when they couldn't get the tape rolling.

I understand there were behind the scenes cut back in late 2008, but they could have at least trained the newbies before letting the veterans go, hence preventing the hiccups.

The "uh-oh" were perfect for Sue's "What the f*ck are you doing?"

Cablevision Ch. 109

Oh ok Thanks,

Its kinda cool, not something that I'll be watching all the time but its something to definitely consider especially when on the go, kinda like a way to catch up quickly with what's going before I leave the house, it would be nice if they had traffic on it too..

Oh ok Thanks,

Its kinda cool, not something that I'll be watching all the time but its something to definitely consider especially when on the go, kinda like a way to catch up quickly with what's going before I leave the house, it would be nice if they had traffic on it too..

Well if you are a Cablevision customer you can get traffic on Ch. 61

+++

As for Nonstop, it's not bad. I probably won't be a regular viewer because, like all NYC stations, it's geared towards the Manhattan crowd. The weather and news updates appear taped. Certainly have to be during WNBC live news shows. Ushery did the 5pm update but was also Live at 5 on Channel 4.

Too much clutter with the side graphics, and it's hard to read with those colors and text. The horoscopes at the bottom are kind of silly. The channel is coming off like Page 2 or a Leisure section of the newspaper.

BTW, Chuck has to be pissed. Going from hard news with NY Nightly News to the gossip columnist of the Post. yikes

Archived