FWIW: NBC Pushing Scarborough and Moyer Out

first on fox

Not surprising...

A tipster says a "pervasive rumor" is making the rounds at NBC News that the network is putting long-time local anchors Chuck Scarborough of WNBC and Paul Moyer of KNBC out to pasture.

NBC is said to be buying the news dinosaurs out of their very, very expensive contracts. Scarborough, who just marked his 35th anniversary at WNBC last week, makes a reported $3 million per year.

http://gawker.com/5190554/nbc-news-to-axe-chuck-scarborough-and-paul-moyer

This only the beginning of things to come. Paul and Chuck will add to the list of high priced male talent to have left or about to leave the NBC O&O's. Tony Segretto retired from WTVJ a few months ago, Warner Saunders is going to retire from WMAQ in May, and wasn't Allen Denton sent packing from KNTV? I wouldn't be surprised if Mike Snyder (KXAS), Marty Levin (KNSD) and Jim Vance (WRC) are next to go.

Not surprising...

A tipster says a "pervasive rumor" is making the rounds at NBC News that the network is putting long-time local anchors Chuck Scarborough of WNBC and Paul Moyer of KNBC out to pasture.

NBC is said to be buying the news dinosaurs out of their very, very expensive contracts. Scarborough, who just marked his 35th anniversary at WNBC last week, makes a reported $3 million per year.

http://gawker.com/5190554/nbc-news-to-axe-chuck-scarborough-and-paul-moyer

Not a good sign...but pretty much not surprised, especially with Moyer.

It was reported on another board that WVIT's being asked to cut $800k in talent, which would be a LOT of the on-air staff. The only big long-time names left are Gerry Brooks (who's been with the station for 15 years and in the market for almost 25), Tom Monahan (40+ years), Brad Field (20+ years), Bob Maxon (15 years), and Kevin Nathan (nearly 15 years).

Given that Monahan's still a fulltime reporter under union agreement (and mandatory reporter raises three years ago were minimum 4% per year), he's gotta be making the most out of anyone there by far.

My contact at WNBC has confirmed that Scarborough has accepted a buyout and will be gone as early as next week. Details are being kept under wraps, but he heard it from the man himself.

Fuck.

Wow...I can't believe that. I don't even live in NY or LA, but that just makes me sad! Chuck and Sue splitting up? Come on, NBC could have at least waited until their 30th Anniversary, like they did with Johnny Carson. It certainly will be the end of an era in New York.

Man that sucks. Even though I've never lived in the New York area, I did get to watch Chuck a couple of times over the years. He is a true icon and it's just a damn shame that WNBC would have the nerve to go into a new direction like this.

My god, who the fuck is running NBC these days? How unprofessional, this move is the end. They might as well go the sincrap route and drop news altogether. They are no longer a class act. I know when I return for visits, if there is no Chuck and Sue, no way I'm watching. The end of an era, the end of news as we knew it. Papers are shrinking and becoming capsules, what is left? These must be folks who think Wiki pedia is a real encylopedia - not even close.

My God, that is terrible. My family has watched WNBC for years and we are all shocked. WNBC just won't be the same and I will find myself watching more and more of WCBS and WABC because very few good anchors and reporters remain at News 4 New York. I idolized Chuck Scarborough and to see him go as a result of a buyout is just very sad. Ch. 4's ratings will suffer immensely and there will probably be a lot of very angry fans writing and calling the station. I can only imagine what kind of a backlash there will be from viewers as a result of the stupid moves on managements part.

My god, who the fuck is running NBC these days? How unprofessional, this move is the end. They might as well go the sincrap route and drop news altogether. They are no longer a class act. I know when I return for visits, if there is no Chuck and Sue, no way I'm watching. The end of an era, the end of news as we knew it. Papers are shrinking and becoming capsules, what is left? These must be folks who think Wiki pedia is a real encylopedia - not even close.

Well to be honest, if Chuck and Sue didn't bring in the ratings for WNBC, then changing things up maybe the only option left. Sure it may be hard to face, but if WNBC is to be competitive and to survive, then things like this have to happen.

As for newspapers, yeah they are great sources for information. However, the internet is constantly being updated. The newspaper only goes out once a day (unless there is some big dramatic event). I can see in 10 years newspapers becoming a thing of the past, with the only dominant papers surviving (NY Times, LA Times, etc.).

Post #13 was made up.

:awesome:

Ugh, I should have known it was an April Fools Day joke! It seemed so believable since rumors have been circulating for a while. I hope Chuck is here to stay for a long time....or atleast until he and Sue celebrate 30 years at 11pm. I must say that this was a lot more believable than the joke last year about Liz Cho leaving WABC.

I must say that this was a lot more believable than the joke last year about Liz Cho leaving WABC.

Wasn't last year "Rhombus 7?"

Which I must say still makes me laugh... maybe it's just saying the word "rhombus" :awesome:

Wasn't last year "Rhombus 7?"

Which I must say still makes me laugh... maybe it's just saying the word "rhombus" :awesome:

There were 2 April Fools Day jokes last year. ABC O&O's replacing the circle 7 with the "Rhombus 7" and Liz Cho leaving WABC.

Not funny considering all the good people, folks with long tenure, market knowledge, and viewer trust being let go due to cost savings. There is not a working person in the US worried that the ax will fall due to the economy - no matter what the industry. Was there an apology?

Post #13 was made up.

:awesome:

That's a relief that Chuck's not getting the ax, but considering NBC just canned another longtime WNBC personality, Len Berman, I don't think Chuck's job is as safe as I thought.

Archived