Storm Field out at 9, Puente his replacement

NYnewsFan

Today's Daily News reports that Storm Field is no longer at channel 9 and Audrey Puente will be his replacement. The sad part is that apparently management is getting tips form WCBS with how to handle personnel. The article says that Field was working without a contract. The news director went to the studio and told all non essential people to leave before the newscast was over and then he was told that he just did his last newscast and to leave immediately. Couldn't finish out the week? Whether you like Storm Field or not he had been with the station since 1997. He had to say goodbye in the parking lot. Zero class from WWOR. Oh well he is better off anyway.

Is Lew Leone going to bring more people over to Fox 5/ My 9 from WCBS? I am not a fan of Audrey Puente but isn't she pregnant now? I guess with another baby on the way doing one newscast a night is a pretty good gig. And Puente is starting on Monday and won't be off the air the usual 3 months or so before landing elsewhere on the dial. I am not sure when she is due but she is some one else who will start a new job and be off the air for a while on maternity leave.

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/story/491868p-414330c.html

Wow. Just wow.

But at least Audrey now becomes like Chief Meteorologist or something (does WWOR even have that?) and she'll have less (and much better) hours to put in than at WCBS (4 1/2 at WCBS including the Early Show updates; 1 at WWOR...) and

I just dont understand what is happening lately in the news business. All the veterans are being let go from different stations. What is extremely upsetting is the way they let go Storm Field with no warning or even to say good bye on air. I guess ch 9 is slashing their budget also but at least they can do it in a better way.

It's too bad someone like Storm had to receive such classless treatment. But in life it's always the good ones who always get the shaft.

As for Audrey I'm also sorry someone with her talent has to wind up at Ch 9. It's a newscast I never and I mean never watch unless the others are on commercial or I may have missed something.

Well good luck Audrey. Glad to have you back!!!

What a classless way of dumping one of the best in the business, like Storm Field. My 9 News is even worse than CBS 2. WCBS should make Storm their Chief Meteorologist and drop John Bolaris

CBS2 would not hire Storm Field because they cant afford to pay him plus he is a veteran in the NY market.

I think we all knew this would happen. Audrey's from channel 2. The Doctor hires all of the horrible talent from 2 for her newscasts. It started with Lynda Lopez and now ends with Puente. This is the best thing that could happen for Storm. There is nothing good about My9. A proper sendoff would've been nice though.

The news director went to the studio and told all non essential people to leave before the newscast was over and then he was told that he just did his last newscast and to leave immediately. Couldn't finish out the week?

Are you serious? That is just crazy. I mean first CBS 2 now MY 9, well, I'm sure Field will get a great gig elsewhere that gives him a lot more money. Anyway he wasn't on contract like Roz Abrams was so but its still upsetting to have someone leave without saying a goodbye or a close, the guy has been working with WWOR for so long, he should have said something before he left. I DEEPLY hope that this will not become a new trend with all of the New York stations.

-Vlad

I Watch them all the time, their not as bad as people think. Better than what CBS has going for them now. I didn't see this comming because Storm has great Chemistry with the anchors Brenda and Harry. I also wonder how they are feeling about this move. It's just weird replacing a legend with Audrey. I think she's cool in all but replacing storm?? Uh uh..

I Watch them all the time, their not as bad as people think. Better than what CBS has going for them now. I didn't see this comming because Storm has great Chemistry with the anchors Brenda and Harry. I also wonder how they are feeling about this move. It's just weird replacing a legend with Audrey. I think she's cool in all but replacing storm?? Uh uh..

That's true. To me, it's not a good replacement at all. It still gets me upset the way WWOR let him go. I wish I knew because now I won't be able to see him. I mean Storm was great there. I wonder how his father, that also worked there for weather, thinks about this.

If he was let go a little earlier maybe ABC7 would have picked him up for their weekend weather opening...

Keep something in mind here -

1) Elliott "Storm" Field left the job Sam Champion ended up getting on WABC after he decided to go to LA to pursue a career in comedic acting. Obviously, it never happened.

2) Storm had no formal training in meteorology. He actually attended optometry school. I only know this because he graduated with my uncle back in the 60's.

3) There's no way Storm would end up on 2, 4, 5, 7... he was a hit in the 80's - and now in 2007 is a mere thread of his former self. He's out of shape, turning gray, and showing his age. This is New York - looks rule. We all know it.

4) Only reason Storm even got into weather in New York was because of his father. If it wasn't for him, Elliott would probably be fitting people for frames at your local Lenscrafters.

If he was let go a little earlier maybe ABC7 would have picked him up for their weekend weather opening...

Keep something in mind here -

1) Elliott "Storm" Field left the job Sam Champion ended up getting on WABC after he decided to go to LA to pursue a career in comedic acting. Obviously, it never happened.

2) Storm had no formal training in meteorology. He actually attended optometry school. I only know this because he graduated with my uncle back in the 60's.

3) There's no way Storm would end up on 2, 4, 5, 7... he was a hit in the 80's - and now in 2007 is a mere thread of his former self. He's out of shape, turning gray, and showing his age. This is New York - looks rule. We all know it.

4) Only reason Storm even got into weather in New York was because of his father. If it wasn't for him, Elliott would probably be fitting people for frames at your local Lenscrafters.

Thats is really mean of you to say that.

I don't think it's very mean. It's just reality. I don't knock Storm Field for his family connections. If my father was Frank Field and I wanted to work in television news, I would hope he would at least be able get me a job at a station. His good looks back in the day got him on the air as well. No different than the qualifications Sam Champion had.

Would Lynda Lopez be on television and gotten on radio in NY if not in large part for the fact that she is the sister of Jennifer Lopez? She is still one of the worst anchors in this market and would be awful in most other markets.

Would Audrey Puente have gotten to be on the air in NY if not for her famous father? It certainly helped her that's for sure.

I don't think it's very mean. It's just reality. I don't knock Storm Field for his family connections. If my father was Frank Field and I wanted to work in television news, I would hope he would at least be able get me a job at a station. His good looks back in the day got him on the air as well. No different than the qualifications Sam Champion had.

Would Lynda Lopez be on television and gotten on radio in NY if not in large part for the fact that she is the sister of Jennifer Lopez? She is still one of the worst anchors in this market and would be awful in most other markets.

Would Audrey Puente have gotten to be on the air in NY if not for her famous father? It certainly helped her that's for sure.

That's all i was saying - I wasn't knocking Storm for using his father's connections at all. It's just a fact that's how he got into the biz.

And yes, Sam was no more qualified then Storm was when he was at WABC. The looks got them both the job.

Watched WWOR this evening. Audrey looked kind of pale to me, maybe it was WWOR make-up artist's fault. However, i'm surprised by WWOR's weather graphics, they really improved since the last time i saw them. Audrey seemed to have had more energy than she did at WCBS. She seemed to be a perfect fit at WWOR, your thoughts?

Archived