TWC - "Evening Edition" and "Abrams and Bettes" Gone

Vlad

This is actually old news, but for those who haven't watched The Weather Channel, in ages like me, I personally haven't watched it in months (I usually tune in during the Hurricane Season) and I was shocked to see that "Evening Edition" and "Abrams and Bettes" have been removed from the program lineup, apparently it has been done since March 2, after that major Nor'easter and Snowstorm happened in New England. It was a silent change, only those who looked at their program lineups noticed it. The folks at the Weather Channel apparently made no mention of it niether.

Anyway it seems that they are sorta returning back to their roots by bringing back Weather Center. This new "Weather Center" is the channels new "flagship" program if you will, because it airs for pretty much a third of entire day, as it starts at 7:00pm and ending at 4:00am the next day. Apparently the new look uses the same theme used for Abrams and Bettes and the 7:00pm opening sports a slightly modified open "Weather Center with Abrams and Bettes". Here is a video that I recorded last night of the 12:00am open:

[yt]pogVGqftB6k[/yt]

I have mixed feelings about the change, its good, because it brings the channel back to its roots about bringing straight to the point weather forecasting by adding a bit of simplicity. A lot of the core elements from both Abrams and Bettes and Evening Edition are still there at their respective time slots (7pm-9pm Weather Center with Abrams and Bettes, is different from the 9pm - 12am Weather Center with Paul, Jim, and Alexandra), despite their removal. Its bad because the Evening Edition show which was a great show, that gained notoriety is now sadly gone... Graphics are nice, as always, the new Lower Thirds look nicer too, but I think the left hand weather graphic is a bit too much, (leave that for the Standard Definition feed, which actually looks way better, without the radar and etc...) Overall I still think it needs a little work and the program itself is a bit clumsy..

Anyway what do you guys think?

This is actually old news, but for those who haven't watched The Weather Channel, in ages like me, I personally haven't watched it in months (I usually tune in during the Hurricane Season) and I was shocked to see that "Evening Edition" and "Abrams and Bettes" have been removed from the program lineup, apparently it has been done since March 2, after that major Nor'easter and Snowstorm happened in New England. It was a silent change, only those who looked at their program lineups noticed it. The folks at the Weather Channel apparently made no mention of it niether.

Anyway it seems that they are sorta returning back to their roots by bringing back Weather Center. This new "Weather Center" is the channels new "flagship" program if you will, because it airs for pretty much a third of entire day, as it starts at 7:00pm and ending at 4:00am the next day. Apparently the new look uses the same theme used for Abrams and Bettes and the 7:00pm opening sports a slightly modified open "Weather Center with Abrams and Bettes". Here is a video that I recorded last night of the 12:00am open:

[yt]pogVGqftB6k[/yt]

I have mixed feelings about the change, its good, because it brings the channel back to its roots about bringing straight to the point weather forecasting by adding a bit of simplicity. A lot of the core elements from both Abrams and Bettes and Evening Edition are still there at their respective time slots (7pm-9pm Weather Center with Abrams and Bettes, is different from the 9pm - 12am Weather Center with Paul, Jim, and Alexandra), despite their removal. Its bad because the Evening Edition show which was a great show, that gained notoriety is now sadly gone... Graphics are nice, as always, the new Lower Thirds look nicer too, but I think the left hand weather graphic is a bit too much, (leave that for the Standard Definition feed, which actually looks way better, without the radar and etc...) Overall I still think it needs a little work and the program itself is a bit clumsy..

Anyway what do you guys think?

I agree with points your raised in your post.

I too do not watch WC all that much anymore (no time). However, I did catch the A/B show occasionally.

I do not find the side gfx to be too distracting. I believe stations (net or local) should utilize the technology and have radars and/or traffic like curtains. This way more is covered in less time. btw, has the weather or forecast REALLY changed that much in the last 10 mins? - then put it up as a left curtain. When a real traffic situation develops, have an anchor read the road closure, etc. Other than that, banner or crawl it.

back to A/B - the WC is hopefully trying to reinvent itself and staying away from stupid things like "It Could Happen"..

Thanks for the update.

I very seldom watch TWC anymore. It's gone downhill since 2001.

I do like Stephanie Abrams, Mike Bettes, Paul Goodloe, Bill Keneely and Heather Tesch. The other mets I don't particularly care for.

Well, maybe this change was writing on the wall. They did a special simulcast of the Today Show on TWC this morning where they announced that Al Roker is getting a new show on TWC starting in the summer and running from 6-7 AM ET. His co-host is going to be Stephanie Abrams, so I'd think that most certainly spells the death of Abrams & Bettes Weather Center come the summer.

Also, former Weather Plus met Todd Santos surfaced on TWC doing their weather.com video forecasts this morning, so he might come on to the TV network at some point. Reporter Julie Martin is currently pursuing a degree is meteorology, and she was seen doing the weather.com videos last week, so she might show up in the studio as well at some point in the future. At any rate, more big changes are afoot at TWC.

(on another note, Jim Cantore left the nighttime show when the Evening Edition name was killed. That show is now just Paul and Alexandra; Jim is now a part of the Your Weather Today team in the mornings.)

Also' date=' former Weather Plus met Jim Santos surfaced on TWC doing their weather.com video forecasts this morning, so he might come on to the TV network at some point.[/quote']

You mean Todd Santos. He was on "Day Planner" today.

Wow, so many changes! Yeah, no point in Jim being in Evening Edition, since the show has been dropped. So I'm believing that Al Roker will no longer be in the Today Show if he does indeed start that show with Stephanie Abrams..

Wow, so many changes! Yeah, no point in Jim being in Evening Edition, since the show has been dropped. So I'm believing that Al Roker will no longer be in the Today Show if he does indeed start that show with Stephanie Abrams..

"Wake Up With Al" will air live from both NYC and Atlanta.

http://tinyurl.com/dke637

I don't follow the Weather Channel much but I guess this is a new project he is starting.

http://www.kgw.com/video/thesquare-index.html?nvid=359574&shu=1

1) I like kgw's angular rotating bug

2) one could see the show as informative or interesting, another as sensationalism

3) are they going to show when a truck with people in it is picked up and bodies fall out?

4) how many legal docs did this crew have to sign to release WC and NBC?

5) scientists may need to research it, but do we need to see it?

1) I like kgw's angular rotating bug

2) one could see the show as informative or interesting, another as sensationalism

Well, it's from the Live at 7 show which is a different type of show. Not a newscast. Watch it live tonight at 7PM pacific time here! They leave the mics and cams on during commercial breaks!

Well, it's from the Live at 7 show which is a different type of show. Not a newscast. Watch it live tonight at 7PM pacific time here! They leave the mics and cams on during commercial breaks!

I think it's a great show I have watched, on-line, and wish more networks had a evening informational program (not a newscast) like this.

Does any other station have a show like this??

Archived