No Live NY Lotto Drawings in Albany, NY....

Bucc

The local stations pay the state to air the drawings. Highest bidder wins. In this economy, you can bet on less and less stations paying for this "privilege", since it's not a ratings-driver.

I'm still wondering, if Illinois can show the lottery drawings in HD on WGN why can't NY do them in HD?

The live video feed shown on WABC of the NY State Lottery always looks very digitally compressed and not clean.

with the internet being in existence, why is it important to air the lottery numbers? As soon as the numbers are drawn they post them now...

Soon they'll just text them to people, if they aren't already...

with the internet being in existence, why is it important to air the lottery numbers? As soon as the numbers are drawn they post them now...

It's not important that they are live, but how we will ever see Yolanda Vega...lol

So correct me if I'm wrong, does this mean that stations that carry live drawings of the New York Lottery will no longer have those drawings, because WTEN (where the Lotto drawings occur) is not renewing the contract? Or is it just WTEN that is not airing live drawings in the Albany Area? I don't get it...

So correct me if I'm wrong, does this mean that stations that carry live drawings of the New York Lottery will no longer have those drawings, because WTEN (where the Lotto drawings occur) is not renewing the contract? Or is it just WTEN that is not airing live drawings in the Albany Area? I don't get it...

Just WTEN is not airng live lotto drawings, and it looks like Albany won't have live drawings for some time.

Oh it is upstate, but it's not at a station, as far as I know it is done at the NY lotto headquarters in Schenectady, shown here: ny-lottery-large.jpg

Oh ok, thanks for clarifying this Bucc, because I know the Mega Million's Drawing airs and is done at WSB-TV in Atlanta, so I thought the NY Lottery did the same, but it is definitely unfortunate for Albany Viewers, but like some of us already pointed out, I guess its not terribly too important to see live drawings anyway since the numbers are what they are, and plus the website usually updates the information after about an hour following the drawings. I guess what most people like about live drawings is mostly the excitement and anticipation of seeing the number balls falling out of the container or jar (whatever its called, lol).

• 2 months later...

MAJOR UPDATE:

The "live" lotto drawings will now be able to be seen in the Albany market on Capital News 9, one of Time Warner Cable's 24 hour newschannel.

This is sort of a big deal because:

“This is somewhat unprecedented,” said Jennifer Givner, a Lottery spokeswoman. “It’s sort of groundbreaking that the Lottery has never partnered with a cable network or a 24-hour news network before. All of our drawings are currently being aired by affiliates.”

full article: http://www.dailygazette.com/news/2009/jul/29/0729_lottery/

Capital News 9 broke this story this AM: http://capitalnews9.com/content/top_stories/478466/capital-news-9-to-carry-nys-lottery-drawings/?RegionCookie=12

Archived