CBS Evening News Launching New Graphics

qunewsguy

The CBS Evening News will be launching new graphics on 5/11, in the middle of the May book. I've seen a couple samples, and let me just say to be ready for "retro" - and not in a good way.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So basically, think 1996 look...

Given how CBS News' last few graphics launches have been, I'm not exactly filled with hope that this'll look that good.

Why can't CBS manage to produce decent graphics?

Compared to NBC and ABC, these look like they are from the 1990's.

Yea your right, but I think it's kind of like retro, in a good way. I think it sort of pays tribute to the past. I mean look at WRGB in Albany they are the 1st TV station in the world, and they are just branded as a generic "CBS6"...this isn't so stark modern and boring. And as far as the globes in their new logo it fits CBS, they do more world/war news as of late, then NBC does, I find.

I agree with McManus in the TVNewser article that the Election graphics were way better than the current look, but I like the election graphics way more than I like the demo's for this new look

Hunh.

So essentially they decided to update the 1987 graphics.

Interesting move, even though it's 2009.

Still smacks of obvious invigorator, though...

Hunh.

So essentially they decided to update the 1987 graphics.

Interesting move, even though it's 2009.

Still smacks of obvious invigorator, though...

I thought the same way. They seem to be lost in time in terms of this new "contemporary" look they're going for.

The Newshour with Jim Leher has better graphics than this!

Honestly, I like the open for the current graphics...the lower thirds and OTSs let the package down.

I don't understand why they couldn't have executed this new package better...in concept it looks good, but it's executed poorly. Hell, they could have outsourced it to the WCBS Graphic's department...they'd be minimalist but contemporary.

Archived