Rumor: Vickie Burns No Longer News Director at WNBC

NewsJunkie247

Several posters at TVSPY.com say that Vickie Burns is no longer the news director at WNBC and will be moving "upstairs" at 30 Rock. A poster also says that WCAU news director Chris Blackman will be moving to 4 New York. This isn't confirmed, but more than one person posted on the message board that she is infact moving. I wonder what this will mean for the future of News 4 New York.

http://tvspy.vault.com/cb/mb/mb_main.jsp?forum_id=11391&parrefer=247&ch_id=424

Vickie Burns has officially graduated from the NBC "School of Butchers". Is Chris Blackmon an ax man too like Burns? Now a Madison/Walker-Burns combination upstairs at NBC is a scary thought.

Blackman wasn't an axe man - the bloodletting mostly came from NBC corporate, and that was actually in the last few years or so. (In comparison to some of the other O&Os WCAU actually fared pretty well.)

But Eric said it best, the main problem with WCAU under Blackman was stagnation. The NBC 10 of 2000 was pretty much the NBC 10 of 2008, with a few exceptions, and those exceptions were disasters (All That & More). The 2000 formula was good, but they were either unable or unwilling to evolve it once the competition started beating it at its own game.

If true this is probably a win-win all around. 10 gets some much needed fresh blood and 4 gets someone different than Vickie Burns, who apparently did a great job of running that station into the ground from what I've seen here...

Vickie Burns has officially graduated from the NBC "School of Butchers". Is Chris Blackmon an ax man too like Burns? Now a Madison/Walker-Burns combination upstairs at NBC is a scary thought.

What? Paula Madison, formerly Paula Walker, former news director at WNBC and KNBC is still with NBC? Never liked that woman's vision of news when whe was news director at WNBC.

Vickie Burns' new biography on nbcnewyork.com now reads...

Vickie Burns was named Vice President of Content and Audience Development for NBC Local Media New York in June 2009. In this role, Burns is responsible for developing and implementing strategy to build audiences across all of the station’s media platforms, including WNBC, NY Nonstop, nbcnewyork.com, taxis and other out-of-home platforms at NBC Local Media New York.

http://www.nbcnewyork.com/station/4_new_york/Management_Vickie_Burns.html

In other words, she was demoted to the Promotions department.

:lol:

HAHAHA couldn't said it better! That means that either O'Brien had enough of her crap or Zucker really opened his eyes and saw that Burns' butchering was way too much.

What? Paula Madison, formerly Paula Walker, former news director at WNBC and KNBC is still with NBC? Never liked that woman's vision of news when whe was news director at WNBC.

Yes, Madison is still at NBC. She served as GM at KNBC, fired Nancy Bauer Gonzales, brought in Bob Long and in 2007 NBC moved her to 30 Rock.

KXAS has in the past used graphics in the sidebar which had no graphic relation to their package (previous NBC O&O graphics). To me this is nothing but just simple graphics on the sidebar.

Yeah, uhh, NDs generally don't worry about graphics. That would be production.

But changing NDs will be the least of what should happen at WNBC. I think the fall of WNBC is because the resources have been stretched so thin. They've created an entirely new channel (NYNS) and they've ramped up their webpage, but have hired very few additional producers/talent/PAs.

It's the dumb business model of, "Ok, if I have 3 profitable stores, think how much money I can make with 6'" Doesn't work that way, and WNBC has found that out the hard way, actually NBC Uni has found that out the hard way with all the local restructuring.

Zucker gets all this praise for being a guy that came from Today as a producer to running the company...well, has anybody taken a step back and noticed what he has done with the Peacock?

3rd and 4th place primetime, no real new shows in development, sagging local news affiliates, bottom dollar missed goals (i.e. 5% budget cuts BEFORE the recession)

Wow, sorry for the rant, my point being WNBC has fallen to the demise of higher ups at NBC, not necessarily anything internal.

Yeah, uhh, NDs generally don't worry about graphics. That would be production.

But changing NDs will be the least of what should happen at WNBC. I think the fall of WNBC is because the resources have been stretched so thin. They've created an entirely new channel (NYNS) and they've ramped up their webpage, but have hired very few additional producers/talent/PAs.

It's the dumb business model of, "Ok, if I have 3 profitable stores, think how much money I can make with 6'" Doesn't work that way, and WNBC has found that out the hard way, actually NBC Uni has found that out the hard way with all the local restructuring.

Zucker gets all this praise for being a guy that came from Today as a producer to running the company...well, has anybody taken a step back and noticed what he has done with the Peacock?

3rd and 4th place primetime, no real new shows in development, sagging local news affiliates, bottom dollar missed goals (i.e. 5% budget cuts BEFORE the recession)

Wow, sorry for the rant, my point being WNBC has fallen to the demise of higher ups at NBC, not necessarily anything internal.

I agree, it is so depressing to see how far the class of the networks and local tv have fallen. I have no clue why GE allows Zucker to stay (yeah, he delivers the profits through cable). I can only hope this is the beginning of the wake up call and things begin to change for the future. NewBlues had some interesting candidates identified to replace Madam Burns.

Speaking of her, I have seen this in other companies,and have always wondered, if she wore only pants and had an additional appendage between her legs, would they still have created a BS position for her or would she be deservedly out on the street. I believe in equal opportunities, EEO, etc, and that we need more women and minorities in high level jobs, but the fact she is a woman should not prevent from acting on poor performance and result delivery. Poor performance should be dealt with appropriately. I know I would not have a position created for me being a white male. Sorry for the soapbox, but I see this way too often and it is wrong. If she deserved the job, fine. But this smells.

Agree completely. I believe he was also the one who decided to give Conan the Tonight Show. I believe he was also the one that completely screwed with the daytime schedule by cancelling soaps and adding a gazillion hours to the Today show.

• 1 month later...

Archived