New York Area Analog TV Shutdown

Vlad

So anyone know what time the stations here in New York will turn off their Analog Feed for good? I know WABC-TV will switch right after Eyewitness News at Noon. This concluding Analog TV for good. When are the other stations shutting down today?

Vlad, According to wcbstv.com WCBS will shutoff at 2pm, WNBC by 12:30 pm, WNYW shuts off at 12am, WWOR at 11:59 pm (they're running the info crawl as i speak) and WPIX (same time as WABC) at 12:30pm (according to the crawl on last night's news at ten). WNET and WLIW in the afternoon, maybe at 12:30 pm. Not sure about WXTV and WNJU but like WNBC, maybe at 12am.

WABC has been pretty weak for me, and I'm pretty close to the transmitter. WPIX and WNET are crystal clear now. Perhaps you should adjust the VHF part of your antenna.

WABC has always had a weak signal for me too, and I thought I was the only one, glad to know thats not the case, lol. Anyway all of the other stations are fine, except for WABC. At this point I'm tired of going up and down the ladder on my house, I'm not breaking my legs for WABC, lol. So I'm hoping they'll do something on their part to improve their signal.

But I'm noticing that the digital channels are now clearer than ever! and the picture quality on a lot of the channels has dramatically increased, 720p almost looks like 1080i, lol. The issue with WABC's PQ after their launch of the "Live Well" network seems to now be fixed as well, because the quality of the picture on my TV is noticeably better. (Cable Box)..

But I'm noticing that the digital channels are now clearer than ever! and the picture quality on a lot of the channels has dramatically increased, 720p almost looks like 1080i, lol. The issue with WABC's PQ after their launch of the "Live Well" network seems to now be fixed as well, because the quality of the picture on my TV is noticeably better. (Cable Box)..

The switchover has nothing to do with bandwidth...I imagine that it might just be a placebo type thing.

The only thing that would affect the PQ would be the lack of blocking...increasing the transmission power wouldn't add any bandwidth to the channels, all stations still have only 18MBPS to work with.

ATSC is all or nothing...you either have the full signal, or you have nothing, unlike NTSC where you can get a fuzzy but watchable signal. Any perceived increase in PQ must be in your head.

Indeed, it is all or nothing, but the stronger the signal the more bandwidth you are actually receiving. (AKA, less loss). It won't be dramatic, but if your signal is clearer, it will make it easier for your ATSC tuner to decode. It doesn't have an effect on the picture quality, but obviously it will make it easier for your tuner to lock on to the signal, and may result in the picture being more stable.

Bandwith or no bandwith, I most definitely noticed a sharper picture on all of the channels, it seemed as if the 720p picture that I'm used to was at 1080i, lol. I work at RadioShack and I had a lot of customers come in today saying that they were not able to get a good signal from Channel 2 and 7. I'm sure they recieved a lot of calls as well, so hopefully they'll work on getting that fixed or at least tweaking their transmission power.

I can't get a signal from WABC-DT, WPIX-DT or WNET-DT with my indoor VHF/UHF antenna so I connected my outdoor scanner/ham discone antenna to my tuner card and all three come in with a strong signal.

I guess since the antenna is higher it has an easier time finding the signals.

• 3 weeks later...
Does anybody know how long WCBS and WNBC will be nightlighting?

Here in LA, KCBS 2, KNBC 4, KTLA 5, KWHY 22 and KBEH 63 have been running the nightlight program and right now KCBS 2 is the only station still doing it.

Archived