What made WNBC change back to "News 4 New York"?

bmasters1

Currently, WNBC holds the newscast title of "News 4 New York," a title which it had held quite classically in the early-'70's and throughout the '80's and into the '90's (until 1995, when WNBC became "Newschannel 4"). A little more than a year ago, it dropped "NC4" and became "News 4 New York" again. What made WNBC do that?

They renamed it back before all the cuts, when they were still #2. I guess they renamed the news operation because they had recently brought the "We're 4 New York" image campaign back after a long absence.

They renamed it back before all the cuts, when they were still #2. I guess they renamed the news operation because they had recently brought the "We're 4 New York" image campaign after a long absence.

Makes sense, since they brought back that image campaign that you speak of, that they would rename the newscast to match (or so I take it from your response).

The big reason is familiarity. Clearly they are aiming for the older demographic because the older viewers (40+) would naturally be familiar with the name. Plus the name really works for them, "News 4 New York = News For New York". So it flows better, it sounds better too. It goes really well with their new on air look too, I just wish they didn't cut so much staff away though...

The big reason is familiarity. Clearly they are aiming for the older demographic because the older viewers (40+) would naturally be familiar with the name. Plus the name really works for them, "News 4 New York = News For New York". So it flows better, it sounds better too. It goes really well with their new on air look too, I just wish they didn't cut so much staff away though...

That's the best explanation that I've heard. It answers the question very well. Kudos.

Wait..didn't WNBC use the NewsCenter4 name as well, or was that just KNBC?

They certainly did. Three of the NBC majors (NYC, D.C., and L.A.) used "NC4." The one in Chicago also used the "NewsCenter" name, but that one was "NewsCenter 5."

• 2 weeks later...

I was so glad they did. I couldn't stand the NewsChannel 4 branding at all. I'm glad they changed it but I don't know why they just don't simply use News 4 like WRC in Washington or the Channel 4 News like KNBC.

Archived