WABC No Longer Airing Live Lotto and Take Five Drawings...

Vlad

Well they are not really "ending it" they are just airing it online instead of on TV now. To see the actual lottery balls come out you'll have to go online to their website to see it happen Live. You can't see the live drawings anymore during the newscasts. I think tonight may have been the last time they shown the Take Five and the Lotto drawings live, because Bill and Sade mentioned it right before the drawing occured. The results still will be shown during the Eyewitness News newscasts. There is no date on when the change will occur, but it seemed hinted that tonight may be the last time they show the live drawings.. Regular Midday and Evening Win 4 and Numbers drawings will however continue to show live as normal during their regular times, 12:26pm (Right after Eyewitness News at Noon) and 7:37pm (During Wheel of Fortune) daily....

Yeah I don't know why they chose to do that, perhaps they may need that extra time for stories, but the drawings usually take a minute at most...

This is nothing new in Florida as many of the stations that I have known as "Live Florida Lottery Drawing Stations" only show the drawings of Lotto on Wednesdays and Saturdays, and Powerball, none of the other games are shown live. This goes back as far as 1997 in Tampa when WFLA took over the drawings from WTVT and they only showed Lotto being drawn live and the Lottery's short lived game show "Flamingo Fortune", which flustered me because I happened to enjoy the theme that was played during the drawings. When I moved back to the state in 2004, I found that this became a common practice in the other cities as well.

Yeah I don't know why they chose to do that, perhaps they may need that extra time for stories, but the drawings usually take a minute at most...

Extra time for stories, no. Extra time for ad revenue, yes.

Extra time for stories, no. Extra time for ad revenue, yes.

Extra time for ad revenue, indeed... and, in WABC's case, also no need to rush through weather or stories to hit the live drawing.

In the Albany market, I believe the ABC station there (WTEN) comepletely terminated its contract with Lotto. For WABC, it just seems like they amended it to carry it online rather than over the air.

And, yes, last night was the last live lottery drawing broadcast during Eyewitness News @ 11. Starting tonight, the winning lotto numbers will be shown some time after 11:21pm as a bumper.

You are right, WTEN did terminated its contract with Lotto.

But here's my question....at 11:21 (or whatever time) is someone going to get up and run to their computer, and be like omg the live lotto drawing is next I have to watch!!! I mean that kind of makes no sense, but undoubtedly it was done for more time for commercials.

Years ago having the live lotto probably was a boost for stations. Now, I'd imagine with younger audiences the lotto isn't as important. The live lotta drawing is for the over 60 crowd, and TV (media in general) is beginning to ignore that demo.

Is WABC still keeping th 10:59 drawing?

Years ago having the live lotto probably was a boost for stations. Now, I'd imagine with younger audiences the lotto isn't as important. The live lotta drawing is for the over 60 crowd, and TV (media in general) is beginning to ignore that demo.

Is WABC still keeping th 10:59 drawing?

No I think that remains intact, because they only mentioned just the Live Lotto Drawings (Take 5 and Lotto), they did not mention the Mega Millions.

If I'm not mistaken, before the NY Lotto draws on Wednesday and Saturdays (the typical days for Lotto drawings), they displayed the numbers for Numbers (their 3-digit game) and Win4..then displayed the results for NJ Lottery (as to why they never displayed the CT Lottery results is unknown, CT is part of the Tri-State area, right?).

It does look better. Is the blue thing on the right hand side one of those Circle 7 printouts that they used for the OTS shots after the fire? Is there a specific motivation for the move, or is it purely aesthetic?

It does look better. Is the blue thing on the right hand side one of those Circle 7 printouts that they used for the OTS shots after the fire? Is there a specific motivation for the move, or is it purely aesthetic?

The "blue thing" you see, is a support pillar. They're scattered throughout.. it's what holds up the floor above, allowing for an open floor plan... It's always been there, just off camera.

Well by the looks of it, it looks like there is another chair on the left hand side of Lori... So either they want to do newscasts from the newsroom or maybe it's just there for breaking news, while the shared studio is being utilized... The subtle change does look nice though...

• 3 weeks later...

Tonight and last night the gremlins seem to have invaded the 11pm news casts.

Last night the anchors would throw to stories and the video and or b-roll would not start or had a delay. I remember it happening during the sports report.

Tonight as Liz was starting a story they switched to Joe for a story on a water main break.

Instead of skipping her story Liz was still trying to read her story while the water main break video was still on screen.

One or two times the wrong graphics came on screen.

Has anything changed in the production causing these glitches or is it just a rare bad night for WABC?

Tonight and last night the gremlins seem to have invaded the 11pm news casts.

Last night the anchors would throw to stories and the video and or b-roll would not start or had a delay. I remember it happening during the sports report.

Tonight as Liz was starting a story they switched to Joe for a story on a water main break.

Instead of skipping her story Liz was still trying to read her story while the water main break video was still on screen.

One or two times the wrong graphics came on screen.

Has anything changed in the production causing these glitches or is it just a rare bad night for WABC?

Welcome to the world of Ignite.. the computer programs are starting to replace what humans are doing (and won't be doing anymore in the near future) at WABC.

Archived