Walter Cronkite Dies...

Dave Lampstein

I saw the special report as well...it's kinda like a huge earthquake happened in the world of TV news....this legendary reporter had been around reporting the news ever since TV was in it's infancy...I think that's dang impressive.

If anyone who worked or formerly worked for CBS News and had known Walter, I'd guess you say he was "The Most Trusted Man In America" who is known for his trademark closing phrase of CBS Evening News, "..and that's the way it was" and a true journalist to that news organization. But it's so sad to see that he is gone and he will be remembered by his family, friends, and yes, his CBS colleagues as well.

Walter Leland Cronkite Jr. (1916-2009)

Rest in peace, Walter. He will truly be missed by us all.

My God, what a legend that man was in broadcasting. The way he delivered the news was unlike any other and I wish I lived earlier enough to see the days he was on the air. He was and will always be an inspiration to so many of today's lead anchors and of course there is not one anchor who has not picked up at least one of Cronkite's traits. Truly a remarkable anchor and he will surely be missed. I certainly agree with what Chris said though, he did live quite a long life so, I'm definitely happy that he's lived this long. And now, may he rest in eternal peace.

"And that's the way it is." ;)

Generations young and old will forever be enamored with the power, courage and heart of this brave young man. The business is suffering and but more so with this man's departure. We can all say that there would be no television news with the likes of our man Walter.

Well, of course Walter's death was front page news in all the papers, but...what about the local/international angle as always?

CTV in Canada had a pre-packaged obit piece from Lloyd Robertson as their lead story, followed by Lisa LaFlamme (who subbed for him) talking to Lloyd via phone on vacation about his memories with Walter. Dunno how the other countries handled the news, but I'm sure on the local side, former and current anchors/reporters/News Directors may have shared their thoughts.

Archived