KTLA 5

1place4news

Anyone know if KTLA is going to switch back to the old school 5 logo like the one that's still on the tower on Sunset? I know Tribune's WPIX in New York brought back the Circle 11 recently. I ask because the old 5 is prominently featured on the chopper's new paint scheme, which looks pretty sharp:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2540/3753516172_ae76f6e688_b.jpg

3753516172_ae76f6e688_b.jpg

Anyone know if KTLA is going to switch back to the old school 5 logo like the one that's still on the tower on Sunset? I know Tribune's WPIX in New York brought back the Circle 11 recently. I ask because the old 5 is prominently featured on the chopper's new paint scheme, which looks pretty sharp:

Most likely. The 5 looks pretty sharp, and maybe they can actually get some decent graphics that look good instead of all the mish mash of crap they have now. Also, some new music would be good, the 1pm news theme is just beyond awful, sounds like some kind of 1980's Nintendo music. The chopper kinda looks like an LAPD helo, they finally they got rid of the orange.

I say, definitely. That "5" was cool. Gives some hope for the old KPLR "Circle 11" to make a comeback.

I think this a model other stations should try. Viewers want familiarity, and going to older, quite possibly, beloved branding, might be just the ticket. Added Bonus: It gets rid of the CW-scourge.

Guest Former Member 207

I knew I saw the same thing on the way to work this morning...just didn't know that was Skycam 5.

I've always loved that 5 logo. Good thing they never got rid of the 5 on the Tower! Hopefully it will make a comeback.

They should make it a historic landmark...that logo is the coolest ever, no one can touch it!

I'm glad they are going to bring back the old 5 logo.

It would kinda neat if they would bring back the old music package from the late 70' early 80. Obviously an update version would be needed.

By the way here is a neat youtube video of all the different opens throughout the years

I wouldnt mind the old logo but KTLA sure has changed a lot...

i loved KTLA during 1997-2004.

Linda Kane Design Graphics

615 Music - Flashpoint

Devlin Design Group Set

Emmitt Miller and Sharon Tay 5 to 7am

Carlos and.....Barbara Beck to Giselle Fernandez and Michaela Periera

Who cant forget Jennifer York?!!!

Hal Fishman with Terry Anzur to Lynette Romero and Leila Feinstein

Mindy Burbano Entertainment and Roland Galvan Weather

Larry and Marta on the weekends.

I'm glad they are going to bring back the old 5 logo.

It would kinda neat if they would bring back the old music package from the late 70' early 80. Obviously an update version would be needed.

I don't know if that will exactly happen, but wait and see.

That's actually one of two KTLA birds. The orange one (N315TV) is still in service and based at Van Nuys Airport, flies mostly night-side. The grey one (N925TV) is owned by Angel City Air (Larry Welk's company, I believe), crewed by Alex Calder (photog/reporter), and flies the morning shows out of Whiteman Airport (in Pacoima).

That's actually one of two KTLA birds. The orange one (N315TV) is still in service and based at Van Nuys Airport, flies mostly night-side. The grey one (N925TV) is owned by Angel City Air (Larry Welk's company, I believe), crewed by Alex Calder (photog/reporter), and flies the morning shows out of Whiteman Airport (in Pacoima).

Wow I didn't think any station in the country could still fly two helicopters these days, let alone Tribune with all its money woes.

On another note, Emmit Miller said at the end of the 10pm broadcast that he's moving back to the early morning shift starting Monday. Anyone know who'll be taking his place?

On another note, Emmit Miller said at the end of the 10pm broadcast that he's moving back to the early morning shift starting Monday. Anyone know who'll be taking his place?

Wow that's a surprise. It looks like it will be Jason Martinez taking his place according to his twitter page.

http://twitter.com/Jmartv

"Finishing up my week anchoring the morning show. Had a blast. Love these people. Back to anchoring nights next week." ..about 15 hours ago from web

I wondering is he filling in until they hire someone or is he it.

Oh is Asha Blake gone, I noticed Eric was filling in for her this week?

Wow I didn't think any station in the country could still fly two helicopters these days, let alone Tribune with all its money woes.

KTTV still operates two, one primary (N111FN) one backup (N211FN). KCBS/KCAL used to have two but I think they gave one up, the second helo might be the one KTLA is using in the mornings now (Angel City Air).

Ironic, isn't it? The one station with its ownership in BK is the one spending cash like a drunken sailor. Meanwhile the one that has "turned the corner" according to its CEO (Fox) is the one laying off 1/3 of its news staff. Go figure.

In a further touch of irony, the layoffs at KTTV take effect on 9/11. Doesn't anybody look at their friggin' calendars when they do these things? :bang:

There are apparently rumblings of Micah Ohlman. Other names being kicked around are Rick Chambers, John Beard, Paul Moyer and anyone else presently "between jobs".

John Beard would be the perfect choice. Us old timers remember him from KNBC News4LA and obviously more recently on Fox 11 News.

Little Off topic, did anyone see the commercial with Michela & Mark Krisiti thanking viewers for making the KTLA Morning Show the # 1 morning news program in July? Congrats to them.

John Beard would be the perfect choice. Us old timers remember him from KNBC News4LA and obviously more recently on Fox 11 News. He has recently updated his website.

http://www.johnbeard.com

I also promised to let people know if and when I would return to TV news and I think that time may be near…what I don’t know is if that return will be in California or my home state of North Carolina.

Little Off topic, did anyone see the commercial with Michela & Mark Krisiti thanking viewers for making the KTLA Morning Show the # 1 morning news program in July? Congrats to them.

John Beard would be the perfect choice. Us old timers remember him from KNBC News4LA and obviously more recently on Fox 11 News. He has recently updated his website.

http://www.johnbeard.com

The new managment is working for them, their news is somewhat becoming more bearable than it was last year.

It was certainly seen in the Fox-11 newsroom... ;)

• 4 weeks later...

I actually like the look that KTLA has now. They are catering to a younger audience, with the edgier graphics and very crisp and clean open. I think that bringing back the old Channel 5 logo would not fit into the look and feel that they have today. I mean it's cool and it definitely looks good on the helicopter, but can you imagine seeing that logo as a bug in a newscast that sounds/looks like this?:

I absolutely love the look that KTLA has now. Everything about their newscast is amazing, from the wide jib shots they take of the studio, to their music and graphics, and even the crisp night-time view of LA highways behind the anchors during the newscast. Everything they do is new and on the edge, and in my opinion, they have the best looking newscast out of any local station in the US.

I actually like the look that KTLA has now. They are catering to a younger audience, with the edgier graphics and very crisp and clean open. I think that bringing back the old Channel 5 logo would not fit into the look and feel that they have today. I mean it's cool and it definitely looks good on the helicopter, but can you imagine seeing that logo as a bug in a newscast that sounds/looks like this?:

I absolutely love the look that KTLA has now. Everything about their newscast is amazing, from the wide jib shots they take of the studio, to their music and graphics, and even the crisp night-time view of LA highways behind the anchors during the newscast. Everything they do is new and on the edge, and in my opinion, they have the best looking newscast out of any local station in the US.

I'm not a fan of cool things and flashy graphics, I just like the news straight!

I really don't think that KTLA's current is clean seeing as they mish mash tons of different graphics. They still use those orange/brown graphics and the 2005 opens mixed with the white L3's and the cheap looking 1pm open. Far from clean.

Archived