Local Station Websites

NYNews

As stated on WCBSTV.com and NewsByte2, WCBSTV.com is "the fastest growing NY television website." I must say they should be proud of that, because I truly agree. I find their website to be really organized and the easiest to navigate through of any station. Their video player is the most accessible of any station and plus i think it's great that they stream their newscasts online. Plus, I love how they allow you to put in your zip code on the top of the homepage and it gives you the local forecast. I can't say the same for WNBC's and WABC's website. It's a toss up between the two, but i give a slight advantage to WNBC. WNYW's "Alert" ticker is annyoing. WPIX's website isn't that bad, their dedicated sections for the morning news and news at ten allows you to find stories fairly quickly, but their video player is also annyoing, it has to load 400+ items. WWOR's just promotes MyNetworkTV, not a big fan of that. What about you guys, what made you decide which website is the best? In addition, I also must mention that WPIX's Commutercast was an excellent idea, so props to them for that.

You guys know me, WCBS isn't really my biggest fan. However, when it comes to their website, I must agree that it has to be the best in NY. I mean there is so much going on yet it's easy to navigate through it. What I love about WCBS too, is that in their broadcasts, if they say to go to the website, they also tell you where to click like Links and Numbers, or CBS2 News This Morning, etc., which makes it much easier than looking around for what you may be looking for.

But......

I think WABC's Website defiantly is TIED FOR FIRST or runs a close 2nd. On WABC's newscasts, the might just say go to 7online.com but right on the homepage, there is a section saying "if we said go to the website..it's here" and there it is. The Video Player is great. You can watch ABC Shows, everything is great on 7online. Easy To Get Around, etc. The Backround for Personalities are the SAME and are not all mixed up. Also, on the AccuWeather Section, you can look up weather for USA areas, as well as International which actually helped me once. I also like how they show the temperatures but they show how it really feels like. Once it was 38 degrees but it really felt around 19 degrees which helped me a lot that day. You can get all these alerts and e-mails. I actually think WABC's website is better when I think about it now.

• CW11's website is pretty good but I mean that video player just makes me sick.

My9's website is the WORST. It just promotes MyNetworkTV yes, but it also just shows headlines from Fox News which is really cheesy. And then, there Personality section is horrible. Just Totally Horrible.

Fox5? Nbc4? I don't know, need to think that through. I hardly spend anytime on any of those websites anyways.

I voted before I made a comment because I did agree with WCBS. However, now when I think it through and compare. I would take back my vote, and vote for WABC.

Its kinda hard to decide on this, so I really did not submit an answer, I really think all of the station websites are optimal and do the same thing such as the other station websites. So in my opinion they are all the same.

• 3 months later...

Here's what I think about them:

WCBS: It is done very well

WNBC: It's so slow the videos take too long to load and they don't get updated very much.

WNYW: It is very slow

WABC: It's okay better than some

WWOR: Need I say more

WPIX: It used to be great but now it's okay.

WCBS is definitely my favorite NY website, it's so easy to use, the video player is MUCH better than their old dayport one, however, I wish you could view their streaming webcasts with a mac.

WPIX is getting there, the video player is a good idea, I just wish you could read the stories, not just watch them.

WABC is okay, but it's not as easy to navigate

WNYW is better than it once was, the new o&o sites are better, especially with streaming video, but older stories are hard to find and the written descriptions of the stories are poor

WNJU/WNBC are okay, the video player is poor, but written news, when updated is very good.

WXTV is good if you want the basic news of the day written out, but no video player and a poor search feature make the site a drag.

WWOR, can we really consider this a news site? it looks like a small market with flashy graphics.

Archived