KLAS re-branding to "8News Now"

thafernykid

Very much liking this.

Few stations have been able to pull off simple, stylish graphics without making them boring. KLAS seems to be on the right track with this, and I'd love to see an open.

Very much liking this.

Few stations have been able to pull off simple, stylish graphics without making them boring. KLAS seems to be on the right track with this, and I'd love to see an open.

If you look at the "Living in the Now" video, you can see what appears to be an open in the "screens" behind the anchors on that promo.

A wall in their newsroom used to say "Eyewitness News" and they have taken that down and are beginning to replace those with new letters. http://twitpic.com/mmwhg

I'm guessing the new look will debut on Monday.

WOW, that's amazing that KLAS is ending their "Eyewitness News" brand after all these years. I wonder if sister station WTVF will make any changes to its brand anytime soon...

I hope not. NewsChannel 5 has been a strong brand name for the station since the 90s. It would feel weird if they were to suddenly re-brand themselves as 5 News Now, IMHO.

I love the moniker "Eyewitness News" on any station, so I hate to see this change, but it totally makes sense for them.

I agree.

And as jero23 said, the station has been Eyewitness News for a while now.

Apparently the new brand starts this Saturday.

"@AaronDrawhorn: Friday is the last day to watch Eyewitness News as we know it. 8 News Now starts Saturday."

I'll try to get some SD video (don't have an HD tuner).

I'm not so sure about a blue gfx scheme in the desert... you would think you would want more desert-ish tones. It just seems out of place.

Well, you have to remember that the last KLAS graphics package was also pretty blue, and that seemed to work for them. They seemed to repurpose most of the footage used in the last Giant Octopus HD package into this one, making me suspect it's an in-house job. Whatever it is, it does look pretty nice.

Unrelated, but that weather really seemed to be recorded.

I believe it is.

They usually have the weather anchor at the desk at the beginning of the segment

and then move over to the green screen. It only looks like that (on the video) on the

weekends. So it might be a weekend thing, lol.

The in-newscast graphics are a little too simple and not as sublime as WBZ (which I consider the best news graphics package in use today). I'd prefer they used the black and white 8 logo as seen in the opens; that looks better and more consistent than the blue square.

The opens and promos, though, are excellent across the board. Doesn't seem like that much of a change from the older stuff judging from a YouTube scan.

Sure' date=' the lower thirds may be a bit too simple, but better that than the overdone Scripps L3's.[/quote']

I agree. The lower-thirds are very simple but they work. As far as I'm concerned, their lower-thirds have always been simple. Not much movement other than text transitions.

Archived