World News With Diane Sawyer

Jess

Diane started tonight... and surprisingly they sprung for a completely new look. It's all blues and creams now. Parts of the graphics look like CBS (like the lower thirds), except that they look professionally generated. The open and much of the graphics look amazing - they kind of hark back to some of those later Peter Jennings graphics in their simplicity.

They kept the set but redid it a little. The newsroom part looks more open and they changed the front of the desk, getting rid of the ABC News logo bit that never seemed to look right. A few blue accents have been added.

The music has been kept... but Bill Rice has not. I don't know who the new guy is but it doesn't seem like they went to a name voice like NBC and CBS.

The voiceover kinda reminded me of the guy from Dirty Jobs? At least on the bumpout I heard...

Anyway, I like the graphics and I was reminded of some Jennings-era graphics as well. I like it. I also like Diane as the anchor, I find her easier to listen to than Katie Couric.

The graphics look much more like a morning show but they definitely look good. I see they are now keying the textual graphics over Diane's shoulder instead of putting them on the background screen like NBC. Looks crisper. The open is very nice as well.

There were a lot of things in the new ABC look that reminded me of CBS and NBC.

I love the overall format. The graphics are simple, sleek, and very nice. I also love how they are reminiscent to the look of World News Tonight with Peter Jennings in the 90's, but the new graphics don't look outdated. That new open is simply awesome (and the announcer is not too bad - better than Michael Douglas on NBC!) and Diane Sawyer was a great choice for the anchor chair. Two thumbs up, ABC! I have never really been one to watch the evening news at 6:30 from start to finish because I simply have just found things I don't like about each broadcast, but I think World News will be a success!

The music has been kept... but Bill Rice has not. I don't know who the new guy is but it doesn't seem like they went to a name voice like NBC and CBS.

That is the voice of Discovery Channel's "Dirty Jobs" host Mike Rowe.

Story (open is on there too): http://www.mediabistro.com/tvnewser/abc/a_much_cleaner_job_for_mike_rowe_the_voice_of_world_news_with_diane_sawyer_146830.asp

I missed it yesterday (when I watch the evening news I watch BriWi), so I'm watching now. I'm impressed with the new look and Diane.

The new opening is great... it's very urgent and attention-getting. When I saw it on YT I wasn't too fond of the fast-moving globe, but I had to see it on TV to really experience how awesome it is.

I thought I remember reading/hearing somewhere a while back that Bill Rice was going to be phased out or stepping down/retiring from ABC News. If that report was true, then this really probably is the right time to bring in a new voiceover to go along with all the other changes. He's already been phased out of World News Now for a while now..

You know after watching it a few times, the graphics look great, the blue globe with the lights, awesome. But the logo animation at the end is a little underwhelming and looks like they got tired from all the work they did before. The ABC is a still image that is blurred in... It just seems like someone went "Meh, it's good enough"

I recorded Charlie's last broadcast and Diane's first broadcast and I compared the two, quite a remarkable difference. I really dig Diane's look better than Charlie's. And it seems like it can now target a broader demographic. When watching Charlie's broadcast, I just would always think that its a newscast for someone in their late 40s and up. But now, with Diane and the new open, it just feels like it targets a younger audience as well, as the older. So I think this may really help ABC. The graphics are very clean, I love the open. The new voice is great, I wonder if he's the same guy that does the voiceovers for KGO's ABC 7 News Open in San Francisco, the voice sounds really similar, but then again I could be wrong. The voiceover change, really is nice too, a younger voiceover again brings in younger audiences to tune in. To be honest, I've never been a fan of World News programs across all networks, but once Diane stepped in, my views have changed.

I also like the new promos they do for Diane Sawyer, very well done. Overall it was a smooth transition, perhaps for the better, no offense to Charlie though who was really good himself. They are both outstanding anchors both well capable of the job. George Stephanopolous will apparently be the permanent substitute whenever Diane is away, so George too, has his work cut out for him big time as he now hosts This Week, GMA and perhaps World News on days when Diane is off.

They're still using the Charles Gibson era graphics for the weekend edition of World News. Any idea how long it might take them to roll out new graphics for the weekends?

That is usually the case with World News. When they enhanced the theme music a few years back, the weekend news still used the old music and graphics for some time. The reason is because the weekend World News staff is trained on the upgrades at a slower pace and at later times than the weekday World News staff.

• 2 weeks later...

Ah, nothing like women in their authoratative positions, and kicking ass in a man's world: symphony conductors (Marin Alsop - Colorado and Baltimore symphony orchestras), professional basketball players (WNBA), governor of her state (Ann Richards of Texas, and Sarah Palin of Alaska), captain of the starship enterprise (Kate Mulgrew - Captain Kathryn Janeway Star Trek Voyager), etc.

And now, add to the mix sole anchors and managing editors of a network evening newscast: Katie Couric of CBS Evening News, and now Diane Sawyer of ABC World News Tonight; women kicking the ass of Brian Williams (white male anchor of NBC Nightly News).

Women are indeed kicking ass in a man's world, especially in the job originally taken by a white man, from John Cameron Swayze all the way to Brian Williams.

Archived