Snow Coverage

nynewslover

All stations were on bright and early this morning and had coverage of the storm (of course!) At the end of WNBCs coverage Pat Battle made an apology of a man they hadon PRETENDING to be a Highway superindentent and had said a curse word... any one catch what he had said??

It's interesting to note that forecasters these days (with advanced technology) are waiting to the day before the storm to give out projected snow amounts and sometimes still manage to get the predictions wrong. Yet, I remember a while back forecasters got it right a few days before the storm with their predictions. What happened?

It's interesting to note that forecasters these days (with advanced technology) are waiting to the day before the storm to give out projected snow amounts and sometimes still manage to get the predictions wrong. Yet, I remember a while back forecasters got it right a few days before the storm with their predictions. What happened?

I totally agree with that statement. I was just mentioning the same thing to my family a few months ago. With all of their fancy computers and even fancier names for their radars & satellites, they sure can never seem to get it right. If anyone is closest, it's definitely WABC's team. But everyone should be right on target or pretty close, at least.

WABC is airing their broadcast of Eyewitness News This Morning starting at 4:30AM tomorrow morning. School closings are already being posted on numerous stations. Again this is sweeps period so many stations may likely cover this storm extensively and may exaggerate a bit as they've did last Saturday, lol. Anyway "Storm Watch 7" is in effect for WABC once again.. How are the other stations covering this?

You think some stations might take time out of the network AM shows for extended coverage and or do an extra hour of news at 9am?

I remember this was done only once, and that was during the Blizzard of 1996, when several shows were pre-empted, of course I was a kid back then, lol, but I remember watching videos of local stations covering that storm well ahead of time and even skipping over the network programs and syndicated programs to provide extra coverage. And that was the only time, where Stations actually overrode actual network programming for extended storm coverage. There was also another time and this was during the Blizzard of 2003 when extra coverage was given in the morning hours, I remember the lead anchors at WABC; Bill Ritter and Liz Cho along with Sam Champion anchoring during the morning hours of Saturday during that weekend up until as late as 10AM during the height of the storm. Not sure about the only stations as Channel 7 was the only one I watched. Those storms were also much more intense and severe, though so thats why they were covered extensively. Usually stations would override network programming if the situation becomes a State of Emergency as was the case in the Blizzard of 1996 and the Blizzard of 2003 (Presidents Day), especially during sweeps period. So I don't think this may happen and the storm is actually a Winter Storm as Blizzard Conditions are expected to occur only for about 2 - 3 hours when the winds are sustained at 35mph. The storm we had in December last year is actually more intense than this upcoming one.

WABC is doing a special live broadcast at 12:15pm, http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/livenow?id=7268592

Diana and Joe Torres are hosting. Diana's mic was not on for most of the broadcast but they did get it on.

They said the plan should be that WABC will bel on till 1pm then have an hour long special at 2pm.

WABC is doing a special live broadcast at 12:15pm, http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/livenow?id=7268592

Diana and Joe Torres are hosting. Diana's mic was not on for most of the broadcast but they did get it on.

They said the plan should be that WABC will bel on till 1pm then have an hour long special at 2pm.

Notice the "webcast studio?" It's on the 3rd floor... Not the 4th like the newsroom.

Well, thank goodness there's the SoapNet channel to rerun our missing ONE LIFE TO LIVE. It's sweeps month there too and this week the big villain gets it - that's not something to be pre-empted for more snow coverage.

Yeah it's nice to have David anchoring again.

I wonder if WNBC will eventually shift the coverage to NY Non Stop in the evening?

Tim Minton who is usually doing serious stories covering the snow is to funny.

Good stuff.

WNBC is live with Chuck anchoring at 5pm.

Jim and Kaity are live on WPIX.

Another change that is a bit off topic is the introduction of story title lower thirds. During the storm coverage WABC began adding lower thirds at the beginning of all the reporter's pieces containing the actual names of the stories. On the top left hand corner where the "LIVE" bug would be you'd see "Storm Watch" So I thought that was an interesting twist.

Interesting that the Daily News decided to use an old snapshot of Janice Huff in its story, at least in the online version: http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/tv/2010/02/11/2010-02-11_tops_in_snow_biz_ch_4_wins_big_by_keeping_viewers_informed_with_extensive_storm_.html

How old is that? At least two years old?

WNBC had great coverage all throughout the evening. I started watching at around 6PM with Chuck Scarborough anchoring and he was great with all aspects of the coverage. That coverage continued with David Ushery from 6:30-7 on NYNonstop and then Chuck anchored coverage again on WNBC from 7 to 8PM. Coverage switched back to NYNonstop for a while with David Ushery. News 4 New York at 11 last night was an hour long and I was amazed at their coverage, especially with the way WNBC is right now. Infact, it was pretty funny watching Janice Huff and Tim Minton having hat contests and just watching the banter between the anchors and reporters!

WCBS and WABC also had great coverage. I was especially surprised to see Chris Wragge and Kristine Johnson covering the snow in the field early in the evening and then back in the studio for the 11PM news. Chris was anchoring some of the coverage at 5 from Penn Station while Kristine was anchoring from Ridgewood, NJ. I really like the concept of having the anchors doing some of the coveage from the field. WCBS has done this for years for several big stories and it is a really interesting concept.

I agree, WNBC had incredible coverage if not the best coverage overall of the Blizzard of 2010. Where was Sue Simmons though? It would've been nice to see her reporting, I guess she's too good for that... :D. What I liked the most was towards, the end of WNBC's coverage was how one of the reporters. I'm not sure what his first name is, but his last name ends in Milton, talked about his hat orientation, and how he did not have to put the ear flaps down because the storm wasn't strong enough in the vicinity in which he was reporting at, lol. Apparently a lot of viewers e-mailed WNBC and some were actually interested in the hats the reporters were wearing rather than the snowfall itself, lol. So he devoted the final report to the hats. So I thought that was kinda hilarious and a nice twist. Overall, what a storm this was, although it was not in definition a true Blizzard and we had much more snow in December, it sure as hell was incredibly annoying because it happened during the work week and this time around the snow was extremely challening to shovel considering the mix we had before the actual snowfall. This snowpack, looks like it will remain here for the next several weeks through the end of February, as there really is no rain in sight, and looking at the next 10 days, no warm up niether is in sight so it will be a slow gradual meltdown. It was actually pretty heavy stuff, comparing to the Blizzard of 2009 we had 2 months ago in December. So this Blizzard of 2010 will be quite memorable, not to mention the two consecutive Snow Days that most of Long Island had. Now, when are we gonna get the coveted quick burst of warm air that will bring us a 60° day again?!

Archived