Blizzard Coverage Discussion

qwertnyc

I understand the need to have continuous snow coverage, however, I think this is a good example of how the local stations are not utilizing their digital sub-channels to their capacity. 7 and 4 are both preempting GMA and Today in favor of local coverage (not a bad thing), but why would they not move GMA and Today to their sub-channels? Instead, 4 is simply airing a simulcast of their main channel. What's the purpose of that? 7's digital sub-channel is showing Accu-Weather with taped pieces from Lee Goldberg from last night!

This may be one of the worst winters of all time at least for NYC and the Long Island area in terms of Snowfall and Precipitation. A lot of people are shaking their heads asking themselves just what in the world is going on? I wonder if this is gonna be a hectic year, weather wise. Because if I recall correctly, bad winters like these usually precede, devastating Tropical Seasons. So hopefully that won't be the case this year.. Anyway the storm has gotten much worse than originally thought. There are Winter Storm Warnings everywhere its not a Blizzard but most people call these storms Blizzards anyway especially when school is closed. I think this is a record for NYC at least, to have 3 consecutive snow days in the winter. So far a total of 50+ Inches and counting have fallen in Central Park.

Anyway as of now all of the major channels are providing extended coverage of the storm overriding the the storm preempting GMA this is a rare occurence. I gotta say in all my years of living in NY this is probably the most nuisance and probably snowiest winter. I haven't lived in the 1970s so I can't say though some people say the winter in the late 70s was much worse. And of course we can't forget about the 93' Superstorm and the Blizzards of 96, and 03'. Which brought several more inches of snow, although these storms are pretty bad in their own right, it was pretty much the only storm experienced during those winters. This year, we've had several notable storms.

WABC is continuing coverage at 12:30 pre-empting "Millionaire." WCBS ended its coverage at 12:30 opting to air CBS soaps in their entirety, but will have updates every half hour starting at 1. I wonder if CBS 2 will have more extended coverage beginning at 3 or 4PM pre-empting "Dr. Phil" or "Judge Judy".

Archived