WABC Set

C Block

It seems like blackwalnut is everywhere these days.

I know the circle 7 is iconic, but I'm just not a fan of it.

A couple of years back on April Fools, someone posted a picture of a square 7 saying WABC was changing their logo, and I gotta tell you, it didn't look bad at all.

A couple of years back on April Fools, someone posted a picture of a square 7 saying WABC was changing their logo, and I gotta tell you, it didn't look bad at all.

It was actually a rhombus, and yes, it was full of awesome.

No new set.. Probably just replacing the plain blue ones on each side of the backdrop on the set to something that matches the graphics a bit more.

Well, if all it is is a refresh, then that's still something to look forward to.

I know the circle 7 is iconic, but I'm just not a fan of it.

I understand where you're coming from. I do like the circle 7, but it only works for KABC/WABC/WLS where it's so central to the station's brand or on stations where they add their own spin on it like KMGH. Otherwise, it looks boring in small market stations.

Speaking of WABC, does any one know if they ever have plans to record their studio shows in HD and what is currently preventing them from doing so?

Shows like Up Close with Diana Williams look very bad quality in their 4:3 broadcast.

Also the taped interviews on Live With Regis and Kelly are a very soft SD 16:9.

It's not just WABC. Most taped interviews on WCBS and all taped interviews on WNBC and WNYW are SD 16:9.

WCBS tapes the weekend show Eye on NY in HD.

I know what I am about to say is close to blasemy in eyes of some WABC Lovers but someone need to get Sam on the horn and make that logo a reality. I don't care who does it.

Sam Horn, that is still a cool logo 3 years later.:D

Still looks disgusting to me, haha even 2 years later... :D

Anyway that new Circle 7 curtain would more than likely replace the left and right hand old curtains of the set and get rid of the older circle 7 backdrop on the left and right hand portions of the set that have the old graphic circle 7 look. (The previous graphics package was done in house). Maybe we'll see that refresh in May (next month) along with the long awaited new music right in time for the late Spring Sweeps and upcoming nielsons period. If I recall correctly the current graphics package had debuted in May 2008 its actually already been 2 years. The set actually is fine looking although its a bit dated at this point since they had it for over 6 years, the only gripe I've been having was to replace the duratrans in the center of the set with an actual large plasma display that would change. That alone would be a much better look for them.

I was on the blackwalnut Facebook page and noticed this picture which eerily looks like something that would be designed for WABC:

And what's the possibility this image has nothing to WABC and/or WABC's set?

And what's the possibility this image has nothing to WABC and/or WABC's set?

This. Keep in mind Giant Octopus is offering WABC's graphics as a syndicated package now...

Also some of those pictures are oooolllldddd. This picture shows elements of the CTV Olympics set (and now CTV Vancouver news set) being built. For all we know, if that is WABC's, it could have been installed and rejected by now...

Even if WABC's graphics are syndicated, they use that same image sometimes. My best guess is that they're planning on changing the blue panels, which are outdated now. Who knows, it could be nothing.

Even if WABC's graphics are syndicated, they use that same image sometimes. My best guess is that they're planning on changing the blue panels, which are outdated now. Who knows, it could be nothing.

Thats right those current blue Circle 7 panels on the left and right hand side of the set are old and out of date because those matched the older graphics package the new one seems like it would match, but then again who knows they may have been rejected as weeters pointed out. And I noticed that when they do reports on that side of the set, they try their best to move the camera far to the right or far to the left as much as possible, so as to almost obscure the panel. It seems like they are actually trying to hide it from the viewer. I've noticed they've been doing that a lot lately during Sports and Accu-Weather reports.

http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/story?section=weather/forecast&id=6563415

If you look at this latest accu-weather report, you see more of the brown panel with the Silver plated Circle 7 rather than the blue circle 7. They even did away with the little plasma that would appear behind the weathercaster during the weather reports and etc.. So maybe its a sign of some changes to come not drastic but a nice subtle change.

And I noticed that when they do reports on that side of the set, they try their best to move the camera far to the right or far to the left as much as possible, so as to almost obscure the panel. It seems like they are actually trying to hide it from the viewer. I've noticed they've been doing that a lot lately during Sports and Accu-Weather reports.

I'd think they're just trying to get the logo to be over the shoulder of the talent instead of hovering in or just out of the 4:3 boundary...

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone know how long it will take for WABC to master the automated newscast system?

It seems on every news cast there is at least one error with the wrong camera put on air or the wrong graphics put on screen.

Just now after Jim Hoffer finished his report instead of going to Liz Cho who was reading a breaking news story after the full screen animation intro,

the camera switched back to the one that was on a close up of Jim Hoffer doing a fast move back to Bill Ritter.

Apparently whoever runs the computer could not manually switch to Liz and Bill had to take over.

Anyone know how long it will take for WABC to master the automated newscast system?

It seems on every news cast there is at least one error with the wrong camera put on air or the wrong graphics put on screen.

Just now after Jim Hoffer finished his report instead of going to Liz Cho who was reading a breaking news story after the full screen animation intro,

the camera switched back to the one that was on a close up of Jim Hoffer doing a fast move back to Bill Ritter.

Apparently whoever runs the computer could not manually switch to Liz and Bill had to take over.

Well it may just be that the system is buggy and causing problems, because many agencies use the automated system now and there are very little problems, its just one of those nights I guess..

The 5, 6 and 11p teams are still getting used to Ignite. It was phased in, starting with weekend mornings, then weekend evenings, followed by AM & Noon, and now 5, 6 and 11. Obviously with a newscast already built and programmed into Ignite, there is always the potential for difficulties when Breaking News has to be quickly inserted.

Archived