WFOR adopts O&O graphics

WCX-TV

From their Facebook page:

As you can tell, we've changed our look on here. Tune in at 5:00 p.m. to see CBS4's new look on the air. So Yes.

The new logo looks like the logo used on KCNC-TV in Denver. What a disappointment. The new logo is now on their Facebook and Twitter pages. Only the Coming Up On CBS 4 on their homepage still has the old logo.

How to people get the CBS local streams to ever work? They never work for me. It's like I'm just staring at an image and there isn't really a stream there.

Apparently, it only works with Internet Explorer and Google Chrome, but not Firefox (unless you download an IE plugin) and Apple Safari.

Apparently, it only works with Internet Explorer and Google Chrome, but not Firefox (unless you download an IE plugin) and Apple Safari.

Actually, my experience is the opposite. It doesn't seem to work at all in Chrome, and while I used to have problems with it in Safari, it works now. The new video player that WCBS uses seems to work on everything.

It sounds like they kept their 615 package too. They also have some jazzy graphic transitions.

From their Facebook page:

The new logo looks like the logo used on KCNC-TV in Denver. What a disappointment.

Wow, does it look generic. The previous logo was much better.

They kept their current music. Good.

The new open takes video from their old open and does switch with the CBS eye (like KCBS, WCBS, KTVT, etc.) Okay.

The new logo a mix of KCNC's 4 and their wave from their former logo. Bad.

They kept their current music. Good.

The new open takes video from their old open and does switch with the CBS eye (like KCBS, WCBS, KTVT, etc.) Okay.

The new logo a mix of KCNC's 4 and their wave from their former logo. Bad.

Almost all the stations switching to the new graphics just recycled the open videos from their previous graphics.

The funny thing is management at WFOR was saying a few months back during a meeting that they loved their new HD graphics/look and that they had no plans on switching to the new O&O standardized look.. Looks like they're wrong. hahaha..

The new look works alright for them. Their previous graphics were nothing spectacular. The logo change was probably the biggest shocker but I can understand the network wanting to have uniform logos across the board.

The funny thing is management at WFOR was saying a few months back during a meeting that they loved their new HD graphics/look and that they had no plans on switching to the new O&O standardized look.. Looks like they're wrong. hahaha..

How long has this standardized look been in the works then?

So, WBZ isn't getting it, and probably not WCCO either. KYW is, right? So that probably means KOVR will get it too. What about KPIX, KDKA, and WJZ?

Already mentioned in previous threads...but my guess is that the other Group W stations (except maybe KYW and KPIX) will follow WBZ's lead and stick to a custom branding. KDKA and WJZ have an established heritage with their brand and music package (moreso WJZ). We'll see...

How long has this standardized look been in the works then?

So, WBZ isn't getting it, and probably not WCCO either. KYW is, right? So that probably means KOVR will get it too. What about KPIX, KDKA, and WJZ?

I'm 99.9% sure that KYW and KOVR will go to the O&O graphics. I wouldn't be surprised if KDKA went with the new look too but since they're look is in-house, they don't have the pressure to change. If the station's current or new look is in-house, I don't think CBS will care so much. I just know the company just doesn't want so much money going to graphic companies like Hothaus, Giant Octopus, etc. anymore. Especially Hothaus.. The CBS O&O's combined have probably poured more money into Hothaus than any other individual company in the past few years which put a big red flag in the budgets.

How long ago did KPIX dump the Hothaus package? Someone mentioned a while back that their look current KPIX's current look is by that 168 design group but something really gives me the feeling it's an in-house job. It looks like they are still using stock video/photos from the Hothaus library. Most notable is a background video towards the end of their opens.

Especially Hothaus.. The CBS O&O's combined have probably poured more money into Hothaus than any other individual company in the past few years which put a big red flag in the budgets.

Good. I know Hothaus is generally a crowd pleaser, especially amongst local news freaks, but I can't stand most of Hothaus' work. All of their work looks the same and is too flashy for my tastes.

Someone mentioned a while back that their look current KPIX's current look is by that 168 design group but something really gives me the feeling it's an in-house job.

I can't confirm if 168 Design did KPIX's current look, but I've heard that before, and doing a Google search, they are a real company based near Telegraph Hill. But I agree— it looks like it was done in-house. It looks like they just chopped up their old graphics to mimic WBZ's VDO package.

It looks like they are still using stock video/photos from the Hothaus library. Most notable is a background video towards the end of their opens.

Haven't a lot of stations done that though? For example, isn't the video used in WBBM's opens from their Hothaus library?

I wonder if that explains why KCNC uses such shoddy video in their opens because (I think) their 2008 look was done in-house, all of the gorgeous scenic video from the 2003 look was probably all in SD, and they don't have a helicopter anymore to shoot anything nice.

Anyway, here's some video of WFOR:

[YT]68AWykzMGc0[/YT]

Haven't a lot of stations done that though? For example, isn't the video used in WBBM's opens from their Hothaus library?

I was talking about the Hothaus's stock video/photo library that all the stations that use Hothaus can pick stuff out of to use for various things on a daily basis. It's mainly videos and photos of things like police lights, medicine pills, buisiness people walking, anything that there could happen to be a topic on. It kind of bugged me that WLS and WBBM both shared this library and both stations used many of the same stock videos and photos, sometimes on the same nights.

In this video of the current KPIX open: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AykvnZ9PDF4, the background video in the 0:52 to 0:53 time of the guy just walking across the screen definitely looks like a video that came from Hothaus's stock library. After watching that video a few times over again, I really think the opening theme music would fit a Spanish station really well.. Catchy signature too.

The custom videos of cityscapes and scenery from the city/market itself (used in the opens) were custom shot for the individual station by Hothaus but they were fully paid for and purchased by the station so the station actually owns those video shots. The City shots of Chicago that WBBM has is a completely different set than the city shots WLS has. Since the station actually owns those videos and their rights, the station can use them for whatever they want for as long as they want.

I find the new logo to look hastily made and tacky. Then again, I'm not exactly sure how they would have made the previous one work with at least the open.

Aside from the open and logo, the rest of the package is just generic stuff.

I also think WFOR blew it on at least the 11PM open. The opens rely more on the background shots than the graphics. Why they didn't try to get a good/interesting shot of the city, I don't know.

That is what I agree with channel2 on the open at 11. Miami Beach is an interesting shot, but than going to a downtown Miami shot. not a good idea. I wonder about My33 @ 10's open. I will say too that most of the city shots are Miami. I haven't seen any from the Keys or Broward even though they are also in the v/over.

Same thing happened with WCBS-they chose a shot for the open that is so dull and desaturated, it almost looks black and white. I have no idea why they wouldn't pick a better one, especially when the open is essentially the shot.

Archived