Applegate to WPIX, Sivan back to N12 LI

anchorman

Jim and Kaity roles announced: see post 12

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/tv/2010/09/21/2010-09-21_applegate_ready_to_drop_anchor_at_wpix.html

Jodi Applegate has decided to break off her contract with News 12 Long Island and head to WPIX-11 (likely to host the 10pm.) She leaves Ch. 12 October 1st. Lauren Sivan, who used to be the evening news anchor at 12, is headed back to fill Jodi's spot. She's currently at Fox News.

Jodi has been so great on N12. But I know she had the itch to get back into NYC news. I'm looking forward to having Lauren Sivan back to N12. She is a class act and a great talent. However I wish we could have kept Jodi here! We have been spoiled!

Update: Lauren Sivan tweeted she is only a temp at N12 until they find someone else to fill the evening spot.

I guess they've been planning this for a while. If you've been watching the PIX News at Ten this whole summer (especially in August) you would've notice them testing the one anchor idea a lot. When either Jim or Kaity was off, it was more so than often that only one anchor would anchor the show. They didn't even ask Peter or Jackie to fill in.

Is there even room for Jim and Kaity after these changes? I really don't think so unless they add another newscast.

Aren't Jim & Kaity the 2nd longest running anchor team in NYC next to Chuck and Sue? Why would you break that up? Unless they really plan on not renewing their contracts like was rumored a few months back, this makes no sense. I predict the News @10 will see a significant ratings hit.

Also, I thought most TV and radio contracts had non-compete clauses that kept on-air talent off the air for at least 6 months?

Aren't Jim & Kaity the 2nd longest running anchor team in NYC next to Chuck and Sue? Why would you break that up? Unless they really plan on not renewing their contracts like was rumored a few months back, this makes no sense. I predict the News @10 will see a significant ratings hit.

Also, I thought most TV and radio contracts had non-compete clauses that kept on-air talent off the air for at least 6 months?

Does that 6 months apply if someone is let out of their contract?

http://www.mediabistro.com/fishbowlny/tv/jodi_applegate_leaving_news_12_for_wpix_174054.asp

The above article mentions a new set.

Interestingly enough, last night on the News @ 10 in Greg Mocker's story*, he was standing in front of the flat screens, which were removed from the wall from the current set.

(*Seen here http://www.wpix.com/news/wpix-mocker-comptroller-email,0,5728363.story)

http://www.mediabistro.com/fishbowlny/tv/its_official_jodi_applegate_joins_wpix_watkins_and_tong_roles_announced_174263.asp

"Applegate will be the solo weekday anchor for the PIX News at 10 p.m. starting Monday, October 4.

We now know the fate of veteran anchors Jim Watkins and Kaity Tong. The team had been front and center on WPIX at 10 p.m. since 1998.

Watkins will anchor the PIX weekend newscasts, and coordinate feature reports during the week. As for Tong, a WPIX spokeswoman says she will field anchor each weeknight from locations throughout the tri-state area. "

Why is it so important for WPIX to get Jodi Applegate. She is not really a great anchor. She wasn't that great at WNYW and she won't be great at WPIX. I love Jim and Kaity because they have great chemistry together. I think this is an insult and I will not be watching the Pix News at 10 after October 3rd. Big mistake PIX! Big Mistake!

Boy, it's really a demotion, esp. for Kaity (at least Jim is a) still under contract and :ack: still at the anchor desk at least part of the time).

But now what happens to Peter Thorne and Jackie Hyland? Do they go back to just being general reporters?

Boy, it's really a demotion, esp. for Kaity (at least Jim is a) still under contract and :ack: still at the anchor desk at least part of the time).

But now what happens to Peter Thorne and Jackie Hyland? Do they go back to just being general reporters?

They should keep Peter and Jackie together..them and Chris Knowles make a really good team.

They break up two great teams for what? What's so special about Applegate? I'm not watching anymore.

Edit: It's so sad watching Kaity anchoring alone now without her usual humor and reparte with Mr G and Jim. I will miss my nightly news companions when Applegate takes over. Those execs are such idiots. I hate those commentaries with Larry Mendte and I believe they're the same guy's idea.

From FishBowl NY - Exec Prod Bill Carey on the changes:

'A Big Change' at WPIX, News Director Bill Carey Says

By Jerry Barmash on Sep 29, 2010 09:15 AM

As we reported on Monday, Jodi Applegate is set to anchor the WPIX weeknight newscasts at 10 p.m., and with that, the veteran team of Jim Watkins and Kaity Tong has been reassigned.

News director Bill Carey told FishbowlNY that a move like this became essential.

"It's necessary to make a big change at Channel 11," Carey says. "I don't think it's any secret that we've never been one, two, three or four in the ratings."

So now Carey, who joined WPIX in 2009, makes his biggest splash at the station. He switches the likeable tandem of Watkins and Tong for another popular personality in Applegate.

"Jodi exemplifies a mix of characteristics that we find compelling," Carey says. "She knows the market; she's worked at a competitor and has a competitive fire."

Applegate is familiar to audiences on a national level from her work at NBC and MSNBC. In New York, she had a successful three-year run at Fox5/WNYW on Good Day New York. Most recently, she was at News 12 Long Island, getting out of her contract to make the WPIX gig a reality.

Beginning Monday, October 11 (moved back a week), WPIX is relaunching the 10 p.m. newscast not only with a new solo anchor, but a new look.

"We have a different style of newscast that we're putting on the air that we think her personality and the range that she offers can handle," Carey says.

As for Watkins and Tong, they will remain at 'PIX. Tong is the new field anchor each weeknight, while Watkins handles solo weekend anchoring. (Weekend anchors Peter Thorne and Jackie Hyland move to weekday reporters.)

"They have handled this magnificently. I approached them about the change in their responsibilities and we're thrilled," Carey says, "They've been receptive and are going to contribute in any way."

Carey says he was sensitive to the people involved in the change, especially Watkins and Tong, and didn't take his decision lightly.

"I think I bowed to their desire to contribute and their ability to contribute in these roles," Carey says. "I think we become a stronger station on weekends."

Additionally, Carey says Tong's new role taking her to communities will have a "powerful impact" on how people feel about Channel 11.

Carey says viewers will likely see Watkins and/or Tong as Applegate's fill-in.

"Not losing them and being able to work with them, I think is a plus for us," Carey says.

http://www.mediabistro.com/fishbowlny/tv/a_big_change_at_wpix_news_director_bill_carey_says_174352.asp

Does this really surprise anyone? This is Bill Carey, the man responsible for the WCBS massacre in 1996. And did the changes he made there yield any results? Just ask Stephen Clark, Lisa Cooley or Gerri Grant. I really like the WPIX newscast at ten, but won't be watching anymore.

"It's necessary to make a big change at Channel 11," Carey says. "I don't think it's any secret that we've never been one, two, three or four in the ratings."

Well guess what Bill? Now you'll be number five or six. Right along with the network you carry.

This is one in a series of boneheaded moves by Bill Carey. First, he hires Larry Mendte and Vince DeMentri, only to have to fire the latter, then he hires Howard Dorsey as morning news producer, and he sexually harassed Emily Frances while they worked under Carey at Channel 2, and now this. I guess I'll wait to get my news at 11:00 as I am no fan of WNYW....

Kaity anchored solo on Wednesday and Jim is anchoring solo tonight.

Since the new 10pm newscast has been pushed back to October 11th does this mean Jim and Kaity will be anchoring next week?

WPIX is already airing promos for the relaunch of the Pix News at Ten for 10.11.10.

WPIX is already airing promos for the relaunch of the Pix News at Ten for 10.11.10.

What was the promo? I missed it. I was switching between WPIX and WNBC (The Apprentice), and when I changed back to WPIX, I saw the end of the promo with the date 10/11/10.

It was a short promo with just that text on the screen and the V.O. person saying that a change is coming to the Pix News at Ten on 10.11.10.

Another promo just ran with text on screen and the VO saying, "What would a news cast look like with no desk and no silly chit chat? See for your self on October 11th."

They already did the not using the desk thing with the 6:30pm newscast they had.

So this means Jodi is not allowed to talk with Mr G. or Lolita? :p

I don't get WPIX, they already changed the newscast with the adding of commentaries and the reports from Greg Mocker.

Every time a station says they are "changing" the news cast it seems most of the time it just does not work.

Archived