Applegate to WPIX, Sivan back to N12 LI

anchorman

"Silly chit chat"? That's such a slap in the face for the entire current crew. It's actually what drew me to PIX news in the first place. If I wanted the no-nonsense style I would have tuned in to CNN, BBC etc. And they added Larry Mendte and Lionel which I thought WAS silly and annoying.

Well, I've got a feeling that Jodi Applegate's PIX News at Ten will be just like Katie Couric's CBS Evening news...a ratings disaster waiting to happen--a perky morning news person not suited to take on such a serious news program. Hopefully, new VP/GM Eric Meyrowitz will fire Bill Carey should the ratings get worse.

Well, I've got a feeling that Jodi Applegate's PIX News at Ten will be just like Katie Couric's CBS Evening news...a ratings disaster waiting to happen--a perky morning news person not suited to take on such a serious news program. Hopefully, new VP/GM Eric Meyrowitz will fire Bill Carey should the ratings get worse.

You're out of line comparing Jodi Applegate and Katie Couric, or WPIX and CBS News.

I agree with the general consensus here: this is a ratings disaster waiting to happen. But you can't blame Applegate for going back and taking a job in the nation's #1 market.

She has been very good as the N12 Evening anchor, something I thought she would be too peppy for. Her and Ron had great chemistry, which certainly helped.

Guest NewsHound

WPIX has screwed themselves over since they tried to urbanize and make themselves more "popular" with the younger crowd. I started watching on Dish Network (and I live over 8 hours away from the New York market) since 2008, even if the news only pertains to New York, I found the newscasts to be more interesting than my local news in the morning. I have watched them move people around, make changes to make themselves hip, and I have watched them try and fail a lot. This is going to be a messy combination, and I can only hope people protest enough and ratings go down enough that Kaity and Jim are back on at 10:00. Enough said.

Oh and I found this to be very interesting:

http://www.wpix.com/about/newsteam/

It seems that with the exception of James Ford that ALL of the morning news team are no longer listed, which makes me wonder if they will be demoted or laid off, and will the weekend team of Peter and Jackie be taking their place? WPIX leaves a lot of open ended questions.

I guess we'll see next Monday what happens since it seems everything they have tried to do to at least keep some bit of journalistic integrity is going to be thrown into the fan.

More details:http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/tv/2010/10/08/2010-10-08_wpix_news_anchor_jodi_applegate_steps_in_as_veterans_jim_watkins_and_kaity_tong_.html?r=entertainment

This is going to be a disaster...the only thing that I think is good is having a field anchor. I watched last night's 10pm newscast, there was no mention of anything, no goodbyes. They had an ultrawide shot, and about a quarter of the studio is now greenscreened.

Guest NewsHound
More details:http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/tv/2010/10/08/2010-10-08_wpix_news_anchor_jodi_applegate_steps_in_as_veterans_jim_watkins_and_kaity_tong_.html?r=entertainment

This is going to be a disaster...the only thing that I think is good is having a field anchor. I watched last night's 10pm newscast, there was no mention of anything, no goodbyes. They had an ultrawide shot, and about a quarter of the studio is now greenscreened.

Yeah, I watched too. It was sad because you know toward the end they really wanted to say something. I'm sure they were told not to say anything.

Meanwhile, a new open premiered tonight during the 6:00 news (which I find out of place since they don't air 6:00 news on weekdays?) but its very flashy and busy, and flys out in less than 3 seconds... which is what I guess they were going for. I really like the new high-octane cut of the WPIX Custom News Package they used in the open though, its agressive but has just a touch of a traditional theme and sounds way better than all that filler guitar riffs they would normally use.

I doubt its gonna last, they'll end up losing their newscast if they do this. Very bad move. Jim and Kaity are veterans, I find it kind of disrespectful actually to do that without a formal ending.

I still don't get the appeal of Applegate. Her looks are average and she's old too. I wonder how cold the introductions were when Jim and Kaity met their replacement?

Is Emily Frances out? At the end of Thursday's broadcast Jim said they'll miss her. I think her job has been taken over by Amber Lee Ettinger aka Obama girl as the segments she has done are along the lines of Emily's reports. I must say though, she's not bad.

I have watched channel 11 news since Kaity and Jim were put together and I think they are great - I will now watch him on the weekend and then watch channel 5 on weekdays. I find it very frustrating to see these changes, like the others I found them to be an excellent team.

Guest NewsHound
I have watched channel 11 news since Kaity and Jim were put together and I think they are great - I will now watch him on the weekend and then watch channel 5 on weekdays. I find it very frustrating to see these changes, like the others I found them to be an excellent team.

It's all down to tomorrow night. I guess it just depends. I'm going to watch and see what they do, see the changes, but I probably won't tune in again after that.

Archived